LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-21-2003, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Nissan Xenon Headlight Assembly..

Hi everyone.

I finally got my OEM factory HID Xenon headlight assembly (ballasts, bulbs and everything) from my recent ebay purchase.

I'm hoping you guys can give me a hand with a few questions?

Before I start asking away, here's what I currently have:

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Canadian model which has the non Xenon HID assembly.

Here goes the questions...

1) Is it possible to install the OEM HID Xenon bulb and wiring harness into the OEM non HID Xenon light assembly?..without any modifications...is it as simple as plug & play?

My reasoning behind this, is that the condition of my current non HID Xenon light housing is in better condition (less surface scratches) than the HID Xenon light housing that I received from my ebay purchase.

So I was wondering if this is as simple as just taking the HID Xenon bulb and wiring harness and extracting it from it's current light housing and removing the bulb and wiring harness from the non Xenon light assembly and installing the HID Xenon bulb and wiring harness into it's place....sorry if that sounds a little confusing

2) Could someone with an Alty with the OEM HID Xenon headlights, please tell me where Nissan have installed your ballasts? Pictures of both left and right factory positions would be appreciated.

Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Bad Boys are Back!!!

Wink

How much did they run ya and what is the wattage of the kit ???

Good luck with the install !
#3 Old 07-21-2003, 02:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by DesiEGO
How much did they run ya and what is the wattage of the kit ???

Good luck with the install !

DesiEGO,

This wasn't a kit...these are the original manufactures headlight assemblies that come with some 2002-2003 Nissan Altima SE's (possibly as an option).

I got these shipped to me under $300.00

...Now back to my previous questions Anyone out there willing to give it a try?

Thank you.
#4 Old 07-21-2003, 04:52 PM

From my understanding, the OEM HID lamp uses a different bulb type than the OEM Halogen lamp. So the answer is now.....might be different for Canadian models tho.....

----------

RIP 2002 Altima 3.5 SE

2006 Maxima 3.5SE
#5 Old 07-21-2003, 05:37 PM
3.5 SE

Quote:
Originally posted by radar2000
I got these shipped to me under $300.00
wow , very nice

2007 Black 3.5 SE 6MT - Sport Package <- 2005 Silver 3.5 SE 5MT <- 2002 Black 3.5 SE Auto

...A SHADOWY FLIGHT INTO THE DANGEROUS WORLD OF A MAN WHO DOES NOT EXIST...
#6 Old 07-21-2003, 06:00 PM
GR

The bulb assemblies should just plug right into your existing headlight housing. I think the balasts were located behind the front bumber from the factory. Others have installed aftermarket kits and mentioned that the factory mounting location was behind the bumper.
Everything should be plug and play.
#7 Old 07-21-2003, 06:40 PM

The post above is incorrect....

OEM HID bulbs and ballasts are not compatible with a standard headlamp assembly.

If you want to keep your old housings, then you need to get a H1 aftermarket HID kit.

- RightD
#8 Old 07-21-2003, 09:48 PM

The difference between halogens and High Intensity Discharge lamps is like night and day, no pun intended. One uses a tungsten filament which has a certain resistance to electrical flow (remember Ohm's Law?), and gets quite hot while the other uses an electrical current to excite a gas (metal halide (spelling) I think) which creates a very high kelvin temperature light.

PVick
2004 Acura TL
Anthracite/Ebony
6sp Manual trans
Navigation
Drop dead Gorgeous
#9 Old 07-21-2003, 11:04 PM

What gives high end HID the clean look?

Ok Iím in the market to upgrade my headlight on my Altima. I went down to my dealership and had a conversation about installing the high intensity discharge xenon headlights. The parts department was great, they told me I could upgrade with Nissan parts ($850.00 without labor) or go aftermarket which would be a lot cheaper.
On the aftermarket end of things this is where I need your guy help. I want some high intensity discharge xenon headlights that look like the factory high intensity discharge xenon headlights on the Maxima or better, the Acura TL.
I have seen some vehicle mostly Civics which I think have high intensity discharge xenon headlight kits installed on them which do not look as clean as the high end vehicles like BMW and Lexus on the road today.
Now my question is what gives high end vehicles with high intensity discharge xenon headlights that bright white clean look? Does it have to do with the housing unit reflection pattern or the kelvin amount of the ballast or maybe both?

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid
Sheer Silver
Charcoal Cloth

Options
*Rear Spoiler
*OEM Fog-lights

Upgrades
*18inch Altima Coupe Rims
#10 Old 07-22-2003, 03:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by RightD
The post above is incorrect....

OEM HID bulbs and ballasts are not compatible with a standard headlamp assembly.

If you want to keep your old housings, then you need to get a H1 aftermarket HID kit.

- RightD

RightD...I think I would have to agree with carfreak67.

I don't know if everyone understands my questions completely...As a recap, I've purchase a true Nissan part(s) which contains the following:

- Headlamps (2)
- Xenon OEM bulbs (2)
- High beam bulbs (2)
- Ballasts (2)
- wiring from both headlamp assemblies (these wires are attached to the Xenon bulb assembly)

When I take a headlamp and unscrew the round back piece to get at the Xenon bulb assembly, I then unclip those 2 metal brackets I can then pull out the Xenon bulb assembly.

What I'm trying to get an answer on, is if I where to do the same thing to my current non Xenon headlamp (unscrew the round casing at the back of the headlamp) and remove the regular halogen light assembly, would the Xenon bulb assembly fit where the regular halogen assembly was?

If I could get this answered, that would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
#11 Old 07-22-2003, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by radar2000

What I'm trying to get an answer on, is if I where to do the same thing to my current non Xenon headlamp (unscrew the round casing at the back of the headlamp) and remove the regular halogen light assembly, would the Xenon bulb assembly fit where the regular halogen assembly was?

If I could get this answered, that would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Ok. I understand your question. However, am unable to provde an answer because I don't know whether they would fit in to place where the standard halgoens went. What RightD was saying was that if it does fit you won't get a correct beam pattern because the actual headlamp housings for the HID and non-HID are different.

Newjerseycat.... it is very hard to achieve the look that u are going for. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), but what gives those high end cars the look you want is the headlamp housings, which make the beam pattern correct. Furthermore, some higher end cars have projector HID's, which is really sweeeet looking.

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Options: Velvet Beige - Charcoal Cloth - Automatic - Sunroof - Traction Control System
ABS & Air Bag - Bose 6 CD Changer w/ 8 Speakers - Rear Spoiler - Carpeted Floor Mats
In-Cabin Microfilter - Side Sills and Splash Guards - Mods: Wild Willy Bumper Plugs
Slim Sport Dead Pedal - Aluminum Brake & Gas Pedals - 2 10" Kicker Subwoofers
Rockford Fosgate Punch 250 Amp - Remote Bass Switch Installed In Center Console
Red Turn Signal Indicators - Blue Alarm LED - 20% Tint - '03 Wood & Titanium Trim

For Sale: '02 Interior Charcoal Pieces - A/T Shifter Finisher, Cupholder Piece, Guage Cluster Finisher, and Center Armrest.
#12 Old 07-22-2003, 03:59 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by RJL7HEL8
Ok. I understand your question. However, am unable to provde an answer because I don't know whether they would fit in to place where the standard halgoens went. What RightD was saying was that if it does fit you won't get a correct beam pattern because the actual headlamp housings for the HID and non-HID are different.

Newjerseycat.... it is very hard to achieve the look that u are going for. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), but what gives those high end cars the look you want is the headlamp housings, which make the beam pattern correct. Furthermore, some higher end cars have projector HID's, which is really sweeeet looking.
Hi Newjerseycat.

Thanks for the reply.

I did a side by side comparison of the Xenon headlamp and the non Xenon headlamp...they looked identical...right down to the ridges inside the headlamp.

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciated your feedback/comments, I just would like to have a few more confirmations from a few other members.

I want to believe that everything is as simple as plug & play

But seriously, if a few more members could confirm or deny Newjerseycat's statement about the headlamps, that would be appreciated.

Once again, thanks

Last edited by radar2000; 07-22-2003 at 04:02 AM.
#13 Old 07-22-2003, 05:35 AM

the problem newyerserycat is saying is that the HID and halogens are set up so the point light is in a certain position in the headlight housing, if the point is moved either forward or backward then the light may be dispirsed out or who knows. that is why there are H1 kits, and etc. because they are set up so the point light coming off the new HID kit is in the exact spot as the H1 lights. Which is why there is a different factory headlight unit for the HID and halos. Is this understandable what i said, i have not a clue how it will be interpreted.

-chris

custom catback: magnaflow 18" resonator and 14829 mufflers: UDP: 70% tint
#14 Old 07-22-2003, 05:37 AM

from physics sunlight is divided into all the colors, which is why the sky is blue over head but not near the horizon, and why mars the sky is red and blue at the horizons. its the refraction of light. which is why the BMW, Lexus, etc. use 4300K but they look purple or blue, because of how it is refracted to get the light, i dunno if this helps at all. just some good info to have around.

#15 Old 07-22-2003, 05:40 AM

HotBody07 says:

the problem newyerserycat is saying is that the HID and halogens are set up so the point .....

Not newjerseycat but RightD

sorry,
-chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode