The Nissan Club banner

locked car keys in my trunk

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Altimaxnh 
#1 ·
umm, im at school and my spare set is at home. i was putting my beer in my backpack so i could carry it up to my room but i had inadvertently dropped the keys in my trunk and realized it just as the door was closing. what should i do? i dont need to go anywhere anytime soon but id like to get them out asap.

#5 ·
if you're not going anywhere for the next three days, i would do that...dont want to mess up your locks if they try to pick it....

#6 ·
at least you got the important part out, the beer!

#7 ·
why don't you have a locksmith to open your door and the pop the trunk? in day time they shouldn't charge more than 35 bucks or so...
I left my keys in my car twice this past month, and my problem was I have no door handle and they had to kind bend top of my front door to get in ... YUK ...

#13 ·
On my last car, I locked my keys in it one time, and that was enough. I wired up a door unlock button and mounted it above the gas fill behind the fuel door (which wasn't a latched door). You couldn't see it cause it was high up, but you could reach up and tap it, and it would unlock the doors. Saved my butt many times. I don't have anything like that on the Alty cause I always lock the doors via Keyfob: Hence it's tough to lock myself out, other than how you did it. I am very careful however that I make sure my keys are in hand before I lock the doors. I also have my spare set closer so I can use those easier.

#14 ·
Don't know about other parts of the country, but at least the AAA in SoCal offers keys cut out of a credit card. While it would work to start the Altima, at least it will open the doors.

And at the LA Auto Show, they will make a key for $3 if you're not a member (otherwise it's free).

And you might be able to get a standard key cut that would open the door...without the plastic. You might have to go to a locksmith store, rather than a hardware store (they have a bigger selection of keys).

Another solution is that if you have your key code (the little aluminum tags attached to your keys when you bought the car), you should be able to get the local Nissan dealer to cut one for you.

#15 ·
Just get a regular key cut and leave it in you wallet or better yet under the car where only you know where it is. That key wont start your car but will at least get you in the car when you've done something really stupid like left you keys wallet and cell phone in the car in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere!!!!:angel1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.