stock radio reception - Page 5 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 10:33 AM

Got my new TSB radio installed. The reception almost seems to have declined a little, but the problem where the treble seemed to fade in and out has gotten much better. I am still trying to get rid of mine through the lemon law, arbitration's on the 15th of this month. This makes the 10th time my car has been in for service since I got it in April.
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 PM

WOW, didn't realize how many have the same radio reception problems out there. I have 3.5 SL with the Bose Radio. Reception SUCKS. By the way, investigation reveals that the radio is NOT a Bose, it's a Clarion. It is a Bose speaker sytem. Now, Now, NISSAN: False Advertising......

I'm going to bring my Alti to the dealer for the radio after consluting the TSB web sites that you good people have posted.

Have A Bose system in my Mazda 6s. It has an exterior (on roof) antenna. Reception is far superior. IT"S THE ANTENNA....

OH Be careful about loading and un loading your CDs. My 2001 Pathfinder with similar radio and CD Player changer... just locked up. Can't get the CDs out or the player to play. Nissan Dealer says : "well your out of warranty at 37K (by 1K mileage not by time - had 3 more months to go), so you'll have to send the entire radio out to retreive the CDs, AND a new replacement radio with CD changer will cost about $1,500......" Called Nissan Customer Service: Repsonse, "we'll call the Dealer and get back to you." They did call the Dealer and they did get back to me: "Sorry, your out of warranty due to the mileage".
NOW THAT"S THE WAY TO GET REPEAT CUSTOMERS DON"T YOU THINK>!!!! Nissan is worst then the American car companies.......

Anybody have any ideas about the Pathfinder radio??? How do I get to write or e-mail Mr. Nissan in Japan????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2004, 02:34 PM

FM Radio Replacement

So today I finally had the radio replaced on my 2005 Altima. Judging from the ride back to work from the dealer, the fading treble problem seems to have been fixed. I didn't really notice any change in reception strength, which is still poor.

I did watch as the service tech replaced the unit, and folks, this couldn't have been simpler. It probably only took 5 minutes to change out the radio. The paperwork for the service repair took longer. The new unit even came with a new display faceplate to replace the one that I scratched on the first day I had the car. Even my station pre-sets we're still available after the change. That information must be stored somewhere else in the head unit (?). Hopefully this will be the only problem I have with an otherwise fine sound system.

I'm still amazed at how good the AM radio is in this unit. Last week I drove to Minnesota and listened to local Milwaukee station just about the entire way there. Almost no ignition noise or static that made AM just about unlistenable in every other vehicle I've owned. How Clarion could get the AM side so right and shortchange the reception on FM is beyond me. A better question is why Bose would put their name on such a poor FM receiver.

I still may try putting an aftermarket external FM radio antenna on the car to improve the reception, if I can find a reputable aftermarket installer who won't butcher the car putting it in. Can anyone recommend someone in the Milwaukee area?

No compliants about the CD changer. Although I wish the display would say something other than: "UNTITLED CD" whenever there is no RDS data on the disk.

*Bill In Milwaukee

Last edited by Bill In Milwaukee; 10-01-2004 at 02:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add antenna to text
Old 10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Off D Beaten Path I Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by almatti
By the way, investigation reveals that the radio is NOT a Bose, it's a Clarion. It is a Bose speaker sytem. Now, Now, NISSAN: False Advertising
I realised that about 8 years back..that's why i didn't even bother with the bose upgrade...Nissan has ALWAYS used clarions.. even in Japan. It's false advertising for real but it takes someone with a brain to figure it out. They prey on that

And just too add MY RECEPTION SUCKS ASS TOO !!
And AM RULES ...it will come back one day ...you'll see...don't say i didn't warn yah

If anyone figures out a solution for the reception BESIDES a new antenna let me know ..PEACE !!!

Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 PM

Poor Radio Reception 05 Altima 3.5 SE

Help! I also have poor FM reception on my stock radio! My dealer says they never had any complaints. I drove their service manager around to listen to my radio and he said "it sounds a little weak". They plan to replace the stock radio. I hope it gets better!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:38 PM
www.saundhaus.com

Arrow

One of the problems is the antenna. There just isn't enough of it to pull in the signals. Now if you could take a dowel and wrap it with lots of wire and splice that in say in the trunk you'll pull in lots more signal. I've got the stock system and I don't have any problems so far, but my 05 is only 3 days old. I'd say when those of you have gotten the grounding fixed it's because the grounding wire is also acting like an antenna and that's helping you pull in more signal.

Or you can just tape a coat hanger to the window.

Blackie
Old 10-29-2004, 07:44 PM

Poor FM Performance

It's been a month since I had the FM radio replaced via the TSB route. I've had no return of the tone dropouts that I experienced earlier. However, the overall reception is still quite poor. The radio stuggles to pull in stations unless I'm nearly line of sight with the transmission tower.

I've shopped around for an aftermarket retractable FM antenna replacement. But none of the estimates I received seemed worth it ($250-$400 range). Especially since most said they would have to remove the seats, floor carpeting and disassemble a large part of the dash to put in a new antenna. Apparently you can't just unplug the old window mounted unit and plug in the new one in the trunk. A new cable must be run to the head unit to the trunk. Considering the car is brand new and squeak-free, I'm a little reluctant to have it torn apart just to get better reception.

Maybe the satellite radio is the way to go. Seems expensive for the somewhat limited amount of driving I do. I guess I'll stick to CD's.

The poor reception is really my only complaint in what otherwise seems to be a great car. Maybe Nissan will go back to retractable antennas with the next generation Altima.

*Bill In Milwaukee
Old 12-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Same issue, My Nissan Dealer put in an antenna amplifer which did nothing. Now that I have the info you great people provided, I'm going back.

I have the IPOD in my car and my radio won't even pick up that signal. Its like three feet away. Ugh!!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Vinnie "The Gas Leak"

My reception is okay on my 05 2.5S, however my 98 Ford Contour SE had very good fm reception. The Alti has not as good FM, however I catch my favorite AM stations perfectly like 620AM which in my old car had severe static. Also I have an XM unit which runs off of an 107.7FM, and the reception is crystal clear.

My Car pics:

Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 AM

Radio Problems

I have been fighting the reception problem for a year now. After replacing the head unit with an Alpine the problem just got worse. Here is my theory. Nissan thought they would try to put the antenna in the rear window. There are 2 problems with this. 1. GM tried this in the 70's. It did not work then either, there is not a good enough ground plane for this setup. 2. The back window is swept back so far it is almost Horizonal. It would be like laying the antenna flat on the package shelf. You could put a VW style antenna on the roof, but you have to drill. If I have to put a hole in my roof I'll just go to satellite. Installing XM tomorrow. Problem solved.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 AM

Talking

replaced mine with a panosonic flip down . was 189.00 sounds great with the factory speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.