Exhaust Smoke - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-20-2004, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust Smoke

Hey guys i had a question about my ehxaust. One day i noticed that my exhaust was letting out a little bit of white smoke at idle. It smelled like, as my friend described it, "burning fireworks". Also, i noticed that when i floor my car, i see smoke coming outta the exhaust for a few seconds. Don't really know what color it is because i only notice it at night when i have someone else's headlights on behind me. Is this normal? If not, what could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2004, 04:12 PM
hello

Hmmm...I have the same problem! But the idling vapor is normal, the smell you smell is just sulfur from the gas. But I don't think that the white smoke on the highway is normal. I have the same thing. When I go past 4000 RPM's on the highway, i can see a HUGE cloud of white smoke behind me from the headlights too . Im not sure if this is a real problem though...anybody else have ideas?

2002 3.5 SE
Performance: Injen CAI | Nismo Catback Exhaust | OBX Headers | NWP Block Plate | K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers | CE Rear Anti-Sway Bar| Racingline Endlinks | iRotors xdrilled/slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brake Pads

Exterior: 19" Axis Hiros | Stillen Front Lip | Active Tuning S2 Grille |5000k HID Headlights + Foglights | Blacked-out Headlights | SE-R Taillights | Strada Eyelids | 35% Tint | Debadged
#3 Old 04-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Former Altima Owner

At the risk of asking a stupid question, is it cold there? If not, sounds like a rich mixture, but that sounds extreme. I've never witnessed visible smoke from my 3.5. Problem is, explaining to a service tech that 'my car smokes when I floor it" might spur them on to accuse you of 'vehicle abuse", so be careful what you say.

My3Point5SE

Ignore the screen name...I'm now the proud owner of a 4Point0SE (06 Frontier Crew Cab).
#4 Old 04-20-2004, 07:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
No it's not that cold, maybe about 55 or 60 i'd say. But yeah it's gonna be a hard one to explain to the dealer without makin me looks like the driver i really am lol.
#5 Old 04-21-2004, 03:51 AM

Anytime you rev you motor hard and fast up to the redline, your gonna blow smoke, EVERY car.....but its more blackish then white...white and grey is not good....that could me some engine damage....dark smoke or black smoke is normal (under heavy revving that is).....its difficult for the cpu to keep up with the mixtures when your winding your motor up fast and hard to redline, therefore the mixture becomes rich....which is a normal....

if your blowing white or grey smoke rather constantly and your lookin like those mid to late 70's beaters.....thats not good.....
#6 Old 04-22-2004, 02:54 AM

Yep, first you need to determine if it is smoke or water vapor. Water vapor is a natural and normal result of combustion which causes condensation.. it's visible result is water vapor.

Smoke, on the other hand, is a whole different matter. The most basic things to observe with smoke is color, smell, and circumstance.

if the smoke is pale blue, it's almost certainly oil. If it's white and kinda thick and odd smelling, good chance it's anti-freeze. If it's dark or even black, it's a poor fuel/air ratio or poor combustion.

Pale blue smoke which appears briefly when starting up after being stopped for a light generally indicates faulty valve seals. This same color smoke appearing the whole time (or nearly the entire time) the engine is running generally indicates bad compression rings.

PVick
2004 Acura TL
Anthracite/Ebony
6sp Manual trans
Navigation
Drop dead Gorgeous
#7 Old 04-22-2004, 07:06 PM
10e
Loved my SE, now bye bye

Hey Serb,

You should see extra exhaust when you floor it. That's normal.

Check your oil (after letting the car sit for an hour or so, when it's cold) and see if it's low or not.

By the way, which model do you have? 2.5/S or 3.5S/SE?

10e

"I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all"
-William Hung
My Car!
#8 Old 04-22-2004, 07:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
i have a 2003 3.5 auto
#9 Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Is there any other 2003 3.5Se with this problem -smoking from exhast & sludge

I brought a brand new 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 from Len Stoler Nissan. We noticed a light mist of smoke from the tile pipe in the summer time. I called to the dealer the dealer stated that was normal. The car started blowing light white smoke, the dealer stated change my gas to supreme octane. At just over 25,000 miles the car started blowing heavy white smoke, We heard a water sound under the car, the oil light would come and go off, and it started losing power. I took it in to the dealer they told us we had sludge in the engine. We turned in all service records showing that the maintenance was keep up on the car. The dealer and Nissan Manufacturer stated that sludge only comes from lack of maintenance and sludge do not come from nothing else and refused to honor the warranty. The dealer said for $700. they'll call the Nissan Rep. back out; look past the oil crank case opening and look in the bottom of the oil pan. I refused took it to Nationwide Nissan they opened my oil pan took my money, did not let me see when it was open just claimed my pan was full of sludge. They did take a picture, shared it with the other dealer, and told me the same thing but they also said that the Nissan Rep this time told them over the phone that Nissan will not fix the car. Where is the Customer Service? That shows how Nissan sticks together! So what now? I know I will not buy another Nissan and is Telling everybody else also! THESE DEALERS/NISSAN WILL SELL U A CAR BUT WILL NOT HONOR THERE WARRANTY! All I want is my car fixed but Nissan showes no customer servise at all!
#10 Old 10-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Ok, as far as the white smoke only at night, I know exactly what you mean - and i've asked every Altima/Maxima guy I could if their car does that and they say yes. I also asked the tech's at my old job (I've worked with Nissans for at least 8 years) and they said it's the car trying to reach optimal mixture - "your foot determines what load you have on the engine at any given time. if you're cruising the computer has caught up and compensated the mix, when you decide to haul some ass, the foot goes down, and the ECU catches up" is what my master tech told me.

As far as the guy with the sludge in the engine - I would call 1800nissan1 and open a CA (consumer affairs) file. Dont let them get away with this shit, especially if you have your service records. Please Please call - dont let them screw you - you bought a new car for reliability and quality, nissan used to be a respected name. Now with the soft paints, bad brakes, and every warranty denial they're really screwing up. It shouldnt be up to you following their maintenence guidelines with them and then they turn the cold shoulder to you. Services cost money, and let's face it, we can get it done cheaper all the time, and the service intervals most people dont do on time or at all, the one person that does what they say, they screw? Come on, that really is crap.
#11 Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM
maz

i have seen the same white smoke . .at almost every intersection, when i see an altima, i look at their exhaust and see that it is the only car with the white smoke coming out of it when it it is like 60 degrees .. and when u step on it, you will see lots of smoke . .i have given uo on nissan .. it is the worst quality and the worst service u can get .. it is hard to belive that they are in business with such bad service and quality.
#12 Old 10-17-2005, 01:52 PM
maz

forgot to say .. the good news is that chines cars will make it to US market in 2007 .. i think i'll be trading my nissan for one :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode