p0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-14-2004, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
p0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

I did the check code procedure and came up with this.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) p0301
DTC Definition: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

I just got the lookup from http://www.actron.com/code_lookup.php

Has anyone else had this problem? The car stumbles under acceleration. It is a 2.5s manual.

Joel W.
Random Thoughts Racing
1993 Sentra se-r (gutted)
2000 SE 2.0 5sp no PP
2002 Altima 2.5s lemon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Honorary So Cal Member

No I have never had that issue come up. Sounds like that is definately a dealer issue though.
#3 Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 PM

Are you using a high octane gas?
If you are using something higher then your car is suppose to have it can cause a misfire. The higher octane can cause a premature explosion while the piston is on its way down which now is working against the piston instead of with it.
#4 Old 07-16-2004, 04:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
If you are using something higher then your car is suppose to have it can cause a misfire. The higher octane can cause a premature explosion while the piston is on its way down which now is working against the piston instead of with it.
Yes I always run the highest octane available in CA...91

The check engine light is now off despite my manually canceling it twice through the check/ reset code procedure. Dut there is no documentation as to how the misfire was fixed. Instead there is a note that one of the butterfly valve screws was missing... when I stated my disconfidence in having a screw travel into the motor he stated that they sometimes "go right through". I stated that 'it would have to for sure hit a valve and the piston defore becoming lodged in the pre catalyst if it even got that far! There is no way for this screw to get far enough away from the engine to not still be a significant liability of catastrophic failure!"

The car was released to me and continues to bog and hesitate above 4000k in 4th gear going uphill (yess I know this is about 80mph). I brought back to the dealership after my test for a reexamination.

Joel W.
Random Thoughts Racing
2000 SE 2.0 5sp no PP
2002 Altima 2.5s lemon
#5 Old 07-16-2004, 04:47 AM
carputer owns you

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph

Woah I thought using a lower octane than your are supposed to does that. I've used nothing but 93 in my car since the day I bought it and I have never had this probelm. Now I know this has been discussed to death but int he manual it says to use "
FOR 2.5L ENGINE
UseUnleaded gasoline with an octane reading of at least 87AKI(ANTI KNOCK INDEX) number (REASEARCH octane number 91)"
Then it says for improved vehicle performance, NISSAN recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI number(research octane number 96"

now from this I gather as long as the 2.5 guys use 87 OR HIGHER they are more than fine. Hell nissan recommends 96. Now i don't see why running 91 would caue this. If i'm interpreting this wrong someone please clarify this for me
#6 Old 07-18-2004, 04:37 PM

I have code P0303 as I type this - Cylinder 3 misfire in my 2.5S (2002). I had a similar code about 2 months ago and brought it to the dealership. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. I've had so many service engine lights come on in the past 3-6 months. Everytime, I bring it to the dealership with no fix. I'm getting fed up with this car....
#7 Old 07-24-2004, 01:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well the cat is busted up and a new motor has beel ordered. On the plus side I can have a clutch put in while the motors out at a fraction of the normal price!

Joel W.
Random Thoughts Racing
2000 SE 2.0 5sp no PP
2002 Altima 2.5s lemon
#8 Old 07-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Honorary So Cal Member

Why are you replacing the clutch??
#9 Old 07-25-2004, 09:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
I am replacing the clutch because my wife learned to drive stick with this car... ;-)

Joel W.
Random Thoughts Racing
2000 SE 2.0 5sp no PP
2002 Altima 2.5s lemon
#10 Old 07-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Honorary So Cal Member

Ouch^^^^
#11 Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM

i am having the same problem with mine. i swapped coil packs one at a time and spark plugs as well. i have reset the computer and it still comes back. even replaced both O2 sensors.
#12 Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
wow, talk about using the "search" feature. 6.5 yrs later it comes back

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post

People who defend CVT are like people with ugly kids - they have no choice but to love them.
#13 Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwykyankee21 View Post
i am having the same problem with mine. i swapped coil packs one at a time and spark plugs as well. i have reset the computer and it still comes back. even replaced both O2 sensors.
Hopefully you dont have the issue that was eventually discovered with my 2.5. Close coupled cat disintegrates and the catalyst material is sucked back into the cylinders. Also the butterfly screws in the intake were not loctighted from the factory and a few were sucked into the motor (there was a TSB on the screws and the cat). The car was eventually bought back by Nissan under Lemon Law 2 motors and 3 manual trans later we were finally rid of the turd. Nissan dragged out the process and fought us every step of the way (terrible customer service!). I will never buy another QR25 powered Nissan! Used sr20 powered Nissans are still a reliable favorite of mine though.

Joel W.
Random Thoughts Racing
2000 SE 2.0 5sp no PP
2002 Altima 2.5s lemon
#14 Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random thoughts View Post
Hopefully you dont have the issue that was eventually discovered with my 2.5. Close coupled cat disintegrates and the catalyst material is sucked back into the cylinders. Also the butterfly screws in the intake were not loctighted from the factory and a few were sucked into the motor (there was a TSB on the screws and the cat). The car was eventually bought back by Nissan under Lemon Law 2 motors and 3 manual trans later we were finally rid of the turd. Nissan dragged out the process and fought us every step of the way (terrible customer service!). I will never buy another QR25 powered Nissan! Used sr20 powered Nissans are still a reliable favorite of mine though.
I'm at the point of where i think i need a new motor. no way for me to really tell until i get the car back to the states. unforntayelly that wont be for about anoher 6 months so its just sitting right now. looking for a motor to swap into it. just dont know what will fit lol. by the way, nissan in europe does not honor us TSB's (techinical Service Bulletins) so im screwed. new motor will cost 1800 for the long block, and i cna resues external parts from my old one except the cat, but im going with a header instead...cheaper and dont have to worry about the honeycomb material getting sucked back in. I hope Nissan goes Bankrupt in hte near future!!!
#15 Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM

I have the same issues. Cylinder #1 and Multiple misfires and CAT errors.

took it was while a back to my local mechanic and he first replaced Spark Plugs...nothing
Then he suggested that we replace CAT and Engine Manifold. Did that, still nothing...car still shakes and SES light keeps blinking/flashing. Rough starts and it seems like something is "clogged" somewhere. Thats what it feels like when I am driving. After driving for a while the car seems to get a jolt of power and runs normal, most times, the flashing/rough ride starts again.

Going to try to replace Head Gasket and Fuel Injector, rather than buying a new motor for now. If that doesnt work, then will sell car for parts. I wont spend $1800 to $2000 on a 2003 Altima with 205K KM's on it.

Fed up with this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode