What brand coolant/antifreeze you use? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What brand coolant/antifreeze you use?

Hi. I need to top-up my coolant. You guys don't pay the 200 percent for Nissan coolant, do you? Do you guys just use regular green Prestone and such? Is the coolant included with the Altima regular or an extended life formula? An article I read on the Internet says you shouldn't put extended life in with a regular mix, but if you have an extended life formula you obviously need to put an extended life formula in, or you delete the purpose.

What do you guys use, and what should I use? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Über

Uhmm, I use whatever nissan puts in my alty.. I never really gave it much thought as to what brand to use and if it would make any difference at all if any? I just checked my coolent line MAX/MIN and mine is WAY below the min mark... Time to schedule the 2nd tuneup, its past due anyway.. :P

2004 Nissan Altima 3.5SE (auto)

Umnitza DDE DRL Wiring Guide
post #3 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 01:57 AM
No, you can't drive it!

Plain old yellow bottle Prestone works just fine.

Fred

3.5SE = My reward for 15 years of mini-vans!
My Polished Pewter beauty!

post #4 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Long Time Caller

ANy brand, any color, ethylene gycol with silicates.

2002 Altima 2.5S
1992 NX2000
2003 Buell XB9S
post #5 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just toped off the other day with some Prestone premixed 50/50. well thats what it asks for 50/50 concentration
post #6 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Honorary So Cal Member

Prestone.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 04:47 AM
Off D Beaten Path I Reign

I just asked the same question this week to the dealer and to stores....I was told that mine comes with extended life antifreeze/coolant ..and that it's NOT a smart idea to mix it at all with other types and colors etc ..also ...the color DOES matter ...don't mix colors at all....unless it's stated (as some prestone etc do) that it's able to be used with ANY type previously put in. Also don't mix normal with extended life either. In the end i just bought what they initially put in my car when i got it ..which was the quakerstate extended life.

Hope this helped and it's not too late

Majestic Blue 2005

Last edited by KingAltima; 10-20-2004 at 04:49 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help. Maybe the Altimas come with extended life then? I don't know what to do now. Thanks for the help though. I'll put everything together and try to make a decision. I will use a green one for sure.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Bad Boys are Back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy23
Uhmm, I use whatever nissan puts in my alty.. I never really gave it much thought as to what brand to use and if it would make any difference at all if any? I just checked my coolent line MAX/MIN and mine is WAY below the min mark... Time to schedule the 2nd tuneup, its past due anyway.. :P
Same here !
post #10 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Long Time Caller

They dont come with extended life. Does you manual say get a coolant flush at 150,000 miles and not until then? No. Hasnt your deal tried to get you to pay 400 dollars for the 30k service, which includes coolant flush. Colors DO NOT MATTER. they are just dyes. There are 4 types of antifreezes. Organic Acid Technology, which is silicate free and long life, for such models as GM's dex-cool, toyotas, VW, vovlo,etc. Then there is Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, which is similiar but has SOME silicates in it. For newer Chyslers and Ford. Then there is Standard Ethylene Gycol that has silicates in it. Standard in older cars and most imports. This is the basic coolant, usually green. The last is for big semi's and RV's. ANyways, these are the 4 kinds and manufactures use different dye's in them so you think you have to buy Their own antifreeze.
OUR cars use regular antifreeze, nothing special. If you mix longlife and regular, it is not recomended, but the only thing that will usually happen is you coolant life is redueced to the regular coolant.
Just use regular prestone or Zerex antifreeze and you will be fine.

2002 Altima 2.5S
1992 NX2000
2003 Buell XB9S
post #11 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Honorary So Cal Member

Good info nissan2k2.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Off D Beaten Path I Reign

Well i stand corrected .

One question ...I understand why a dealer may want to push it's own brand that they use ...but why would a store...I mean...They didn't have the one i needed and they could have said .."HERE USE THIS" ...but they said don't mix them etc. I'm curious now to that ...I'll do some investigating..

Majestic Blue 2005

post #13 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 04:12 PM

I went over this with a few Nissan shops. When I got the 30k service, my bill said on it that they put in extended life antifreeze. After checking the antifreeze when I got home, I noticed that I had the non-extended life green antifreeze. So I called up the shop and asked them if they made a mistake...they told me no...and that their system has the antifreeze labeled in the system incorrectly. They told me that Nissan specifically says that the altima is suppose to come with the non-extended antifreeze (this may be a ploy for them to make more money off easy coolant flushes, i'm not sure). Also, I was told that if you were to put the extended life in the altima, you would need to do a good flush before so, otherwise your gaskets/seals would fail...so mixing wouldn't just degrade the extended life coolant, it could actually damage. The shop said that they could do a good flush and put in extended life if I wanted....but I think I will just keep up with the regular antifreeze myself. Oh yeah, coolant colors do matter....check this link out: Coolant Colors . Hope this helps.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM

if you are not sure just go to Nissan and buy from them the Nissan coolant for your car - that is what I did
post #15 of 20 Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Long Time Caller

"Typically, this is a marketing decision. All coolants are water white before dye is added."

This is a qoute from the link previously posted. Like i said, do not worry about the color, usually the color will signify the type of coolant it is (HOAT,OAT, etc) but not always. I am just saying, if you get green or orange OAT coolant, it will be fine.

And yes, mixing long-life and regular can cause damages. Usually not, but in some rare cases. Example: in some chysler vehicles, the silicates in regular coolant can eat away the cooling system sauders and a few incidents, some chysler vehicle had boiling hot coolant spray from their air vents! crazy

All i am saying is that from the factory, nissan puts in regular antifreeze, not HOAT or OAT which are the long life versions. You could flush them out and fill up new or mix them and probably nothing will happen, but if you want to be safe, every 30k miles, just flush it with regular green antifreeze and top it off with regular, No harm can come of that!

2002 Altima 2.5S
1992 NX2000
2003 Buell XB9S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode