Excessive Oil Consumption 2002 Altima SE - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-22-2005, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Excessive Oil Consumption 2002 Altima SE

Have a 2002 Nissan ALtima 2.5S . . .car is burning mad oil, no leaks . . .any ideas and/or similar experiences??

74k miles.

had an oil consumption problem when I bought it . . .they checked and said it was ok, it is gulping quarts of oil.

Any info is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Smoked Out

Yeah, I believe this is a known problem. Is your service engine soon light on?

2005 Smoke Altima 6MT
2002 Super Black Altima 2.5S - Traded 10/21/06
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2625220
#3 Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_archer_69
Yeah, I believe this is a known problem. Is your service engine soon light on?
If I'm reading between the lines, are you saying there is an internal leak? I Just dumped a car for this reason (American). Hope this isn't a prob with Nissan too!!

My other car is a classic Vette, my Altima is more fun to drive.
#4 Old 02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
nismo graphics=30hp

yeah, i put about 4 bottles of oil in my car, and when i exchange it out, i only fill up about 3..so i dunno..but my 30,000 mile service is coming up, so imma ask alot of questions...

#5 Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Breu Meister

that is a decent amount of miles for an 02. I am thinking you are BURNING oil. possibly your rings are blown. Do you still have a warranty? if you don't be prepared to spend a shaz load of money to fix this. I would recommend a compression test. But first you can do the following. Start the car. let it warm up. pull out a spark plug wire starting with the one on the far left first. then put it back and work your way down the line. record any difference in rpms, engine noise, no spark sound ect. if you pull one of the wires and the sound of the engine changes that is your bad cylinder. a warranty would help a lot in this situation I just hope you have one.

R.I.P. 2000 altima SE
Hello...
2003 Majestic Blue 6 speed maxima
#6 Old 02-23-2005, 01:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
I do not have an extended warranty; are blown seals a common occurrence?? would it be a manufacturer defect?

I bought this car brand new less than 3 years ago; dealer maintaned, well taken care of . . i drive a lot, high mileage . . .

would i be better to dump the car if the seals are blown?

If this is the case I will never buy another nissan again, thats for sure, I bought a new car so I wouldnt have problems, just had the catalytic converter replaced also.
#7 Old 02-26-2005, 04:57 PM
NDG

Dump it or fight Nissan

'02 2.5 are having major problems and Nissan knows it, and they are not doing a thing about it, Nissan should recall all '02 2.5s and give us our money back! If you just replaced the Cat, that was the problem to begin with, they should had replaced the engine too. I just had the same problem, and I am not a happy camper with Nissan. By the way Nissan did have a recall for the cat but for certain Vin #s, explain that to me. I would recommend everyone who had or is having problems with their engine burning oil to put in a complaint to the Better Business Bureau or if your state has a Lemon Law call them.
By the way I chose to fight Nissan just for right now to see if I get anywhere, but if I see that my case is not going anywhere I will dump my Altima & never buy a Nissan car again!
#8 Old 02-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDG
'02 2.5 are having major problems and Nissan knows it, and they are not doing a thing about it, Nissan should recall all '02 2.5s and give us our money back! If you just replaced the Cat, that was the problem to begin with, they should had replaced the engine too. I just had the same problem, and I am not a happy camper with Nissan. By the way Nissan did have a recall for the cat but for certain Vin #s, explain that to me. I would recommend everyone who had or is having problems with their engine burning oil to put in a complaint to the Better Business Bureau or if your state has a Lemon Law call them.
By the way I chose to fight Nissan just for right now to see if I get anywhere, but if I see that my case is not going anywhere I will dump my Altima & never buy a Nissan car again!
lol, 02 2.5's are the worst. We got one. One time the engine flooded with fuel so it had to be towed to the dealer. Second time the cam positioning sensor went out and the car stalled in the middle of the road. I own a 99' my valve cover gasket is blown. Good luck with your altima.
#9 Old 03-13-2005, 01:33 AM

Burning OIL

Oh my goodness!!! I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have an 02 2.5 and the CAT had to be changed twice in 2 years. Each CAT was more defective than the previous.

A few months/weeks after my second CAT change I noticed the check engine light was perptually on and the car started burning alarming amounts of oil. It would burn through 4 quarts completley within 3 weeks. The problem became so extreme that the engine started making loud clicking noises while the "oil" signal flashed because it was COMPLETELY out of oil!

The mileage on the car was relatively low. I only accumulated approx 58K on the car. Luckily for me it was under warranty until 60k. I brought the car to nissan and after a diagnoses I was told that the car's defective CAT broke and a piece of it went into the engine and as a result the car had virtually no compression, and consiquently burnt tons of oil. I got approx 28 mpg when this car was new, all of a sudden it's started burning off a full resovuour of oil within a couple of weeks and it started getting only about 10 miles per gallon.

I'd bet the same thing happened to that poor guy Rhody.

Rhody, if you complain to NISSAN that the 2.5 had a defective CAT which caused your motor to die, it's highly probable they will cover it (regardless of voided warranty) because they do know that it's an existing problem. But you can't be docile about it, let them know that you're willing to take it as far as possible for them to take you seriously.

Actually, I discovered the problem at about 58K, but I didn't get around to bringing the car to nissan untill the mileage just exceeded 60K. They did the repairs anyway after I raised hell because they knew their defective parts caused the problem(their own diagnoses indicated that). They already changed the CAT twice, and the CAT caused my motor to die, what the hell else could they say to me?

As I type my Niisan is currently at the dealership awaiting the installation of a brand new motor. The heat also died on my car, virtually all the cheap plastic mechanisms witin the interior(center console,CD holder) broke after only about 2 years. The build quality on the 02 is extremely poor. I was told that noticable build quality improvements were made for all the subsequent models(03 and up).

Nissan even told me without my solicitation that they will cover the change of my CAT indefinately, regardless of warranty stipulations. I found that to be very unusual. That indicates that they know it's a POS!

Last edited by Sean P; 03-13-2005 at 01:36 AM.
#10 Old 03-13-2005, 02:36 AM

Actually, it is not the CAT that caused the problem - it is the pre-cat. The problem can cause parts of it to melt and then breakup. The parts can come back and getinto your cylinders and score them - this is what will cause the oil consumption.

I have first hand knowledge of this since it happened to my 02 2.5 at about 60G. Took it in right away as I knew of the issue. Called Nissan and they gave me no issue (I knew of the recall, but hadn't recieved it). Nissan stealership looked at it and ordered me an entire new long block w/ all the most current updates... That was 15 months ago... since then, no issues (except for the clutch hardware rubbing, but that just needs to be replaced - another issue with the new Altima's)...

The exhaust is covered up to 80G in most states (O2 sensors, CAT, muffler and such).... Take it in and tell them to look inside the TB (Trottle Body)... you will find oil in there... The is how I found it in mine...

Good Luck and Give'em Hell!

#11 Old 03-13-2005, 06:16 AM

My 2003 2.5SL with 27K miles just had to have the precat recall done, I never brought it when I got the notice in the mail because I didnt want them touching anything on my car plus my car never burned any oil or made any noises which were some of the pre-failure symptoms. So about 2 weeks ago my SES light came on and sure enough they said its a code for the failing pre-cat. They ordered all the parts for the recall and I just got the car back and it runs so much smoother than before. I also noticed their invoice for all the parts/labor was totalled at 4000 dollars!! which I thought seemed like alot. My invoice included a whole list of numerous parts, some of which I recognized were oil change, spark plugs, and thermostat, something with valves? also, new gaskets/bearings. I also had the fuel screen recall done as well.
#12 Old 03-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Turbo-alty's bday present

allright man i went through a lot of trouble with mine...i had 60700 and i was burning oil like crazy (1 qt every 1k miles give or take) blue smoke out of the exhaust and everything....i tried to have nissan cover it but there retarded and didnt even though i was having problems before my 60k powertrain ran out (my fault for not bringing it in), anyways they checked it out and i supposivley blew the motor and exhaust manifold and all this other garbage!! so anyways i would bring the car in before anything else happens to it because you dont want to have a"blown motor" like mine was even though i think it was a head gasket, but still take it in before it gets worse bc that car is notorious for issues and hence why i traded it in and got a 2003 3.5SE! haha good luck man i feel your pain! http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184225 just for reference

03 3.5SE 5MT
silver beauty
#13 Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 PM

There are recalls to deal with these issues, call your dealer.

Haikus Are Easy
But Sometimes They Don't Make Sense
Refrigerator
#14 Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 PM

File a Lemon Claim. We just completed ours and sent the car back to Nissan with 50,000 miles. It had eaten 2 qr25's and 4 manial trannys. Yes it was a 2002. Our original complaint of shifting issues before the new car warranty was up was sufficient to backdate the problem when a failure finally occured at 28,000 miles. If you have some record of complaint while under 18,000 miles you should be able to lemon. Dont take no for an answer.

Joel W.
Random Thoughts Racing
1993 Sentra se-r (gutted)
2000 SE 2.0 5sp no PP
2002 Altima 2.5s lemon
#15 Old 06-10-2005, 04:28 AM

I wonder... I guess this kind of thing could be caused by the loose intake butterfly valve screws getting sucked into the engine and screwing up the cylinder walls?

And that's a whole another thing that Nissan is playing stupid about.

Gone but not forgotten: 02 Altima 2.5S:
- XS header
- OEM fogs
- Wheelskins Euro Perf leather steering wheel cover
- Painted OEM grille
- SE-R replica spoiler
- AT grounding kit
- KYB GR-2 shocks and struts
- Holley Powershot drop-in air filter
- Nismo short shifter
- Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch
- Misc: PIAA wipers. Kumho rubber. MB Motoring REV 16'' wheels. Mobil 1 5w30 synth. Redline MT-90 tranny fluid. Philips VisionPlus low beams. HD Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode