Low beams don't work but High's do - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Low beams don't work but High's do

Hi everyone, I did a search for my problem but couldn't come up with anything and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem before. My drivers side headlight is out. It works on high beams but not low. I replaced the bulb and it is still not working. Any thoughts? Also, when I put everything back together, now my Service Engine Soon light is on. There is a small black tube that attaches to a clip on the air housing. The end of it isn't attached to anything though. Just kinda curves around the big hose from the air housing. Should that be attached to anything? I don't remember unplugging it from anything but can definitely feel suction when I put my thumb over it. Main problem is the headlight right now though. I've jiggled the wires and can't find a loose connection in those anywhere. I'm stumped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 AM
NISSAN PARTS TECH.

my friends honda had the same problem. except that both headlights didn't work. it turned out to be a burnt out fuse in the fuse box. check the fuses you might have the same problem.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:55 PM

I looked on both fuse boxes and couldn't see anything that resembled headlights. I would think if it was a fuse, both lights wouldn't work. I guess it is a freak incident since no one has posted that they've had the same problem. I don't have an owners manual since I bought the car pre-owned and the previous owner didn't have it. I was able to get one from a link to a site that someone posted here a long time ago but now when I click on the link it says Page Not Found. Does anyone have an electronic copy they could send to me?

I called the dealership to see if they have run across this problem before. Of course, me being a girl...I first get the "Bring it in and we'll take good care of ya" speech. I told them that I was more than capable of doing it myself, and I just wanted to know if they had came across a similar situation before. He wouldn't tell me either way. Said he'd have to "take a look at it". Yeah, right......$65 later...
Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
I Am My Altima's Bitch

Not sure on the headlight. I'd check that the low beam bulb is plugged in well and that the socket is getting power before going to crazy. You could put the pass side low beam in to see how that goes.

The hose you're referring to sounds like the breather, but without looking I can't say for sure. If you can see the hose in this picture maybe it will help you figure out the routing on it and where it connects. Having a breather off would certainly shoot an SES code. You can search on here (I think in the 2002-2005 FAQs actually) for instructions on how to read the code and reset it once you fix the problem. I doubt the SES light is related to your headlights.

Crystal Blue 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5-Speed

Old 03-21-2005, 05:52 PM

I really can't make out the hose from that pic. It's near the back where the white container with the yellow top sits. It clamps on to my housing unit and the end is just the cut hose. It curves up and looks like a candy cane for lack of a better term. The end of the hose has nothing that could attach to anything else though. Almost like it's supposed to sit in some type of liquid or as you say...it may be a breather. I did the search on the SES codes but don't know how to figure out what code is which when I perform the test. I don't have the Owners manual as this car was pre-owned and the bimbo before me didn't get one.

UGH, who'd a thunk fixing a headlight would be so cumbersomb.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Fibre Customs

the hose thing in the back is normal, leave it alone. Your headlight problem..lets see, you replace it the first time cause you thought it just burned out. But after replacing with a new bulb it still didn't work, right?
are low and high beam bulbs are seperate bulbs, so thats why the highs still work. If you turned on your ignitions while you had the bulb unplugged to check it that would cause your SES light to come on. Its possible that when you intalled the new bulb you got the wires crossed. Check the other side and see if the red wire is plugged into the same spot as the other side.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:00 AM

I have the same problem you have had. My low beams do not work. High beams and fog lights do. It all started after I programmed my new keyfob. I don't understand how that would make my low beams not work. They dont work on the on or auto-on setting. Does anyone think it could be the multifuction switch in the turn signal thing <- I have no clue what thats called.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Are you sure you have checked the proper fuses? In my car, 2003 2.5s, there are separate fuses for both left/ right side low/ high beams.

If the fuses are fine, I would take a multimeter to the light socket. Measure D.C. Voltage. Place one probe on the red wire (+) and place the other probe with the black wire, or negative terminal on the battery. If you get a reading when your low beams are turned on, that means your bulbs are jacked. If you donít get a reading that means there is an electrical problem. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode