LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Über

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
short squeak when changing gears P, R, and D

Recently had my tirerod and front drivers strut replaced from a recent accident. Tire rod was bent and strut as well a little they think. Anyway I've been noticing espescially when I first start her up in the morn, a squeak when switch from park to reverse and vise versa. Its not a constant squeaking its just a short "squeaaak" for like 2 seconds and thats it. And it only happens when I change gears between P, R and D.. Should I be conerened with this?

Also, its not all the time, but most of the time.

2004 Nissan Altima 3.5SE (auto)

Umnitza DDE DRL Wiring Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM

I have a new 05 3.5SE and notice the exact same thing. My car has 3,000 miles on it and it has done this since new. The best way I can describe what I am hearing is that it is like a bird faintly "chriping" or even a squeak you would imagine a mouse making.... very odd.

I was going to ask Nissan at my first oil change to look into it.

You are right, I can reproduce it when the car is cold 100% of the time... after that during the day, I might hear it and I might not.....

Anymore thoughts?
#3 Old 09-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Über

(Thread Starter)
^Yes exactly the sounds I hear! I've been meaning to take her to the dlrshp for 10k tuneup but been really busy lately, accidients, hurricanes, work, school, bleh. Anyway the way you described it is exactly it! I can't quite figure it out, I figure maybe the motor mounts or something to do with the gear?

In addition to this problem I have creaking sounds like its comming from the front drivers side strut. Then after I had the accident, they replaced that strut along with the tire rod since the wheel was bent inwards. I thought that'd solve that problem but it didn't. Again more apparent during cold starts. Seems like something needs to be lubricated. Anyway, I will try and make an appointment tonight for this weekend. I will update you on how it goes.

#4 Old 09-19-2005, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I am just hopeful that it turns out to be something easy/minor. I am fearful that it has something to do with the transmission, based on the fact that I can reproduce it by shifting between P, R, D etc.

I did a search on the forums and found a few others describing exactly this issue, but nobody knew what it was and there wasn't any follow-up posts.

Thanks!
Mike
#5 Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Quick update...

Did some more research and investigative work. On my 05, I am now suspecting the motor mount(s).... the quick "squeak" sound ONLY happens right at 1,000 RPMs. If I am in park and put my foot gently on the gas, as the needle hits a grand it squeaks, and as it come back down past a grand... you guessed it, it squeaks again.

I think the fact that I noticed it when changing from P to D, or R is the fact that typically when I made that change, the engine blips just up to or around 1,000RPMs.

In a slew of other threads there is data to suggest that the motor mounts are electonic and have a trigger point of 1,000RPMs for the stiff vs. soft setting. I suspect one or more is bad on my car.

Something to mention when you bring yours in.

Anyone else think this is logical?
#6 Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Über

(Thread Starter)
Ahh ok, yea everything that you are describing is exactly what I'm having problems with. I was experiementing at low rpms with a quick push to the gas then let go it squeaks bad now. I may also think its the motor mounts. I will have to tell the dlrshp this problem. Thanks for letting me know. Also, just curious what would happen if the motor mounts don't get fixed?

#7 Old 09-21-2005, 03:37 AM

Honestly I am not certain myself what would or could happen if they were not fixed. One thread I read indicated that you can simply "unplug" the mounts to stop the sound(s)... however I am not sure of the implications.

I am going to hopefully get mine in later this week and will report back what they come up with as well.

Thanks....
#8 Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Groggy... final word from Nissan today... bad motor mount. They ordered one and it should come in about a week. The claim that I will need to leave the car with them for the entire day at that point to replace it.

So, the infamous motor mount appears to be the cause for me. ;-)
#9 Old 09-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Über

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the update. *sigh I guess I will have to tell them about it when I go.

#10 Old 09-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Über

(Thread Starter)
Short update, my squeaking has become much worse now. You can really hear it no matter what now. I'm making an appointment this weekend to have it fixed, hopefully it won't be expensive or they could make it a TSB. Thing is I don't have my stock intake anymore, all i have is the Berk in there, I hope they don't blame it on that. But I've gone there many times and haven't had any problems.

#11 Old 10-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Über

(Thread Starter)
Well, just got back from dlrshp for the 15k service. I mentioned about the squeaking, but 2 days before I went I tigheted up my berk intake bolt and that seemed to have solved the problem. I haven't been noticing it lately so hopefully it won't happen again. I even asked them about the motor mounts and they said that I will have to leave it overnight for them to check it since I told them it happens during cold starts. But even this morning I didn't hear it. i dunno, but if it happens again, I'm gonna send it to them overnight over the weekened. On the good side they fixed my horn for free, under warranty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode