The Nissan Club banner

AC Won't Turn Off?

51K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  2young2retire 
#1 ·
If I have the AC on, and then decide to turn it off and just go with outside air, it won't turn off even if the AC light shows that it's off?? I've tried switching between outside air and recirc, turning everything completely off, etc, and it makes no difference. I have to shut the car off to get the AC to turn off!! WTF??

#2 ·
Do you have the control switch at the windsheild "defrost" setting or set on "max"? If that's yes, then it's suppose to A/C the windsheild and help reducing fog up on the windsheild. As soon as the switch is set at the foot and defrost setting or any other except for the above mentioned, then the A/C is off. The motor revs higher and is a waste on gas if that's always on.
And yes the recirc air does make the A/C turn on but I forget at what setting it will actually turn on. If you press the recirc. the light does not automatically turn on except if the setting is chosen.
Hope this helps out.

#7 ·
I agree. Do a quick search...there's probably a few dozen threads about this very topic by now, including one where the starter though NNA should issue a recall for it.

That sort of "feature" could tip the scales if I were considering buying an 05 or 96 right now.

#8 ·
yep there is a good post on how to overide it. cut the blue wire and put a switch in, or is it the green one?
I have a 12v relay that can turn it off, but I haven't installed it. look up the post I have responded to, like prego its in there.

#9 ·
I have done the "cut the blue wire" trick on my '04 2.5S and installed a switch in the blank on the left side of the dash next to the dash light dimmer control and it looks like a stock switch. HOWEVER I remember someone with a '05 trying to do the mod had no luck as the controls are different. So what it boils down to is that I can't help you but maybe someone with an '05 can.

#10 ·
I figured it was a freak thing so I didn't search...

This is UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion. Almost as unacceptable as there not being rear center hooks for a baby seat in the correct locations (too far apart, located for the side locations). :angry6:

I guess I could pop it in neutral and kill the car, then re-start it... :smack:

#11 ·
I can't find jack squat in a search. "AC" is too short and "air conditioner" didn't reveal much...the search feature basically sucks...

What's Nissan's stance on this? Was it designed this way? Or a design flaw??? I can't imagine that it's supposed to be this way...

#14 ·
I have the same problem on my '04. Mine will stick if any of the a\c or defrost settings have been used. It does not matter what setting you have after that. The compressor will continue to run until you shut the car off. I believe it is an ECM problem with the program, since the computer tells the compressor whether or not and when to run. My car is in storage now for the winter but I am planning on taking it in, in the spring. I am sure it will be a battle with the dealer jerks. On most of the common problems on this forum I have taken to the dealer. They act like my car is the first one they have ever seen with the issue. Like the radio reception problem, they told me "I have never heard of that before." B.S.

#15 ·
My '05 Altima does it, my '04 Titan does this and my '02 Sentra did this... I pulled this from the Service Manual:

DEFROSTER SWITCH
Positions the air mode doors to the defrost position. Also positions the intake doors to the outside air position.
The compressor remains ON until the ignition is turned OFF.

I am looking for the reason in black and white, but assume it's because it dries out the air and along with the heater raises the dew point. This will result in fewer fogged up windows.

#16 ·
My 02 fogs up like no other car I've ever owned...badly enough that I regularly get frost on the inside of my windshield during the winter and have seen short icicles on a few occasions. I cannot use the dash vents for an appreciable length of time because the windshield and side windows fog up and I have to switch back the defroster to dry the air out again. I know alot of other 02 owners had this issue and since there aren't any major changes until 05 its logical to assume that 03 and 04 owners have similar issues...having the ac running all the time to dry the air out would address the symptom, even if it doesn't fix the source of the problem, which I believe to be inadequate pass through ventilation.

#17 ·
I just use a small squeegee to clean the windows instead of a cloth. This seams to lengthen the cleaning period. I was posting about this and someone told me that the plastics can give off a vapor that can stick to glass, if you smoke don’t do so in this car.
The paper air filter sucks up moisture during the run cycle then as the car sits the h2o starts to evap leaving the huge wet spot over the defrost. I’ve thought about taking my filter out during the winter or somehow replacing it with a oil cloth based filter.

#18 ·
I emailed my service manager...

Me:
"Is it normal for the AC to stay on until the car is shut off, regardless of
the AC setting? Once I turn it on, it won't turn off until I shut the car off..."

Her:
"This is normal operation."

Me:
"That's crazy. Why??"

Her:
"I don't know! Nissan does not give us any reason for the way they have
designed the vehicle. This is normal operation that we can not change."

-------

I emailed her back asking about using a rear center car seat too, since the Altima doesn't allow for some to be installed safely...

#19 ·
Nissan designed the new Alti's that way to address the huge problem of window fogging in these cars. It was their idea of a "quick fix" instead of thinking the problem through and making the proper modifications to the car.

I'm lucky since I have the auto climate controls, so I can turn off the A/C whenever I want. But I know that you manual A/C owners would also like to do the same, but can't!!! It's just stupid if you ask me. Really really dumb!

BTW, with the auto climate controls, the A/C sometimes randomly decides to come on for some reason. Usually when it's cold outside, after driving for about 10 minutes, I look down to see the A/C light on. I switch it off and it doesn't come back on again for the rest of the drive. Pretty strange if you ask me. I think it's because the system is trying to choose the defroster position for whatever reason.

Sorry for the thread jack, just thought I'd mention this issue as well since we're talking about A/C here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.