Child LATCH system question - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-23-2006, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Child LATCH system question

Ok, we were blessed with our first child last week. I installed the car seat in the center seat in the rear using the LATCH connectors. Now I read in the manual that a car seat should not be installed in the center seat. Here is what the manual says:

"Do not secure a child restraint in the center rear seating position using the LATCH system anchors. The child restraint will not be secured properly."

Now, I got that car seat base so tight, it does not move an inch back there. And I don't feel comfortable putting our little girl in one of the side seats for side impact reasons. Is there anyone that can clearify why the manual might say this. I have it so tight, the car seat does not move. I was just wondering if there is some other strength issue if the car seat is positioned in the center seat. It's an 05 Altima by the way.

Thanks

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 AM
Über

Congrats on your first born! On the child seat arrangement, you have the right idea of positioning the car seat in the center position of the rear seat, this is usually the safest position to avoid side collision impacts, espescially cars eqipped with side impact airbags. However "proper" usage of any latch system has to follow certain guidelines. I believe only very few vehicles come equiped with seperate center anchors. Unfortunately I don't think the Altima 02+ has these. Although some other vehicles state its ok to use the latch system in the center position but it is because it meets the standard of 11" apart. So to answer your question about why it states not to use the latch system in the center position is most likely because it doesn't meet that standard of 11" apart. I hope this helps. Now I fully understand your positions about having your car seat in the center, but the manual states that you shouldn't place any car restraint in that position, your safest alternative route would be to have it secured to the side.

2004 Nissan Altima 3.5SE (auto)

Umnitza DDE DRL Wiring Guide

Last edited by Groggy23; 02-23-2006 at 05:42 AM.
#3 Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 AM

Yeah, I would guess that you are using the inside latch of each passenger system. If it's secure, I'd say go with it.

You're not a bad father if you use the latch system as intended. As a father of twins, if I used my Altima for the kids I'd have to put the seats in the usual passenger locations. After six trillion times of contorting your back to load and strap your child into the center of the car, you may have guilty thoughts of reverting to the conventional set up anyway.

Congratulations! Don't forget to funnel some of your mod money into a 529.
#4 Old 02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
basso picasso

Congrats! Having put two car seats in my rear, I do have one in the center now and have had it there for some time. For at least the first year you should have it facing rear, since infants' neck strength is non existant. Put it behind the passanger side until you have another kid.

In addition to the comments above, I would add that many drivers have tons of "debris" in the front of the car. In a collision such items can be lethal to those in the back seat. I had a friend in the back seat years ago in a head on at a combined 60 mph. When the tape ejected it hit my friend square in the forehead leaving an imprint for a week. Imagine if this were an aftermarket GPS system hitting your kid.

Don't even wanna think about that.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
My VB Gallery
#5 Old 02-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

i placed mine behind me (driver seat) cause i know i can control my side in case of anything. and if there was a side impact bad enough to reach my baby which is at least 6-8 inches from the door anyways, in the center position is going to be just as bad. and you never know if the latch system is going to work right in case of a side impact. like side movement or not anchoring right.
I don't know but i will follow the guidelines on the owners manual. if they specify that is for a reason.
#6 Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I Am My Altima's Bitch

What happened to the good old days when you ran the seatbelt through a slot in the back of the seat and buckled it in. Sure the car seat wobbled a little and if you took a turn too fast you might tip the kid over, but it worked for all of us!

Crystal Blue 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 5-Speed

#7 Old 02-23-2006, 03:16 PM
basso picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceorange
What happened to the good old days when you ran the seatbelt through a slot in the back of the seat and buckled it in. Sure the car seat wobbled a little and if you took a turn too fast you might tip the kid over, but it worked for all of us!
I don' think I was ever in a car seat, but I'm old.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
My VB Gallery
#8 Old 02-23-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbthump
I don' think I was ever in a car seat, but I'm old.
and your mom never cared huh
#9 Old 02-23-2006, 04:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to leave it in the center for now. I have that thing so tight, it does not budge. The whole side impact thing just scares me more right now.
#10 Old 02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
basso picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedang
and your mom never cared huh

My VB Gallery
#11 Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Brian E. Reed

with my first born that is where i put her as well...the center seat using the latch system worked fine...i even had it checked out by a safety person on my base and they said there was nothing wrong with it as long as the seat didnt move, and it was safer than just using the center seatbelt...so i kept her car seat in the center til had to go to okinawa...and in okinawa i still use the center for her...i just dont get to use my altima

Brian E. Reed
#12 Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Kingpin

We took our cars to the fire dept. and they installed the car seats for free. I have a 02SE and there are latch attachments for the center, this is where the firefighters put the seat. Infants less then 1yr should face backwards and in the center if possible. Congrats....

'02 Altima 3.5 SE Auto
Silver with Charcoal Leather, Every option available minus roof deflector
JWT Popcharger, Pro-Kit, Billet Pedals, Stillen lip/OEM side sills, Tint, Stillen RSB, Magnaflow 14829's and Magnaflow Resonator(10436), Stillen race pipe, grounding-kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode