05 Altima Hesitates when starting - sometimes - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-06-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
05 Altima Hesitates when starting - sometimes

hey eveyone I'm new here. I did a search but coudn't find what I was looking for.

About 2 monhts ago my 05 Altima (34k miles) started hesitating when starting. Happened everyone once in a while. Had a fuel system clean when I got my last oil change. Thought it took care of it but I was wrong.

I took it to Nissan last week and they bugged out, after market air filter, dirty cabin filter, clogged fuel injectors, blah, blah, blah. Tring to sell me the 30k tune up. However I did have them do the full fuel system cleaning and throttle body adjustement.

Car ran excellent untill today. My wife called, she has the car today, and it did the hesitation thing twice. I really don't want to go back to Nissan but when I spoke to the guy at Pep Boys he'll not look at it.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is.

Nissan in NY looked at the starter 2 months ago and the battery's been checked, it's fine.

Also, and this could be totally seperate. When the car's stopped at a light and the A/Cs on, when the compressor kicks in it really kills the idle, never stalled, never dropped below 600+ but drops it a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Yeah I have this same problem on my altima. Im driving a 2.5S 2002... I searched & found a few post about maybe it's the fuel pump Not giving enough on starts. Not sure if that Changing the fuel pump was the solution though. I couldn't figure out why the car doesn that. Took it to about 3 mechanic's they Couldn't reproduce the incident. seems to only happen on a Cold Soak, Over night or a few hours. Every morning when I start her up...I'd say about 5/10 times it hesitates...if I tap the gas it's fine :shrugs: Thought maybe the pre-cat was no good but I have headers

Last edited by EQUiLiiBRiUM; 06-08-2006 at 08:28 PM.
post #3 of 35 Old 06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Anti-Elitist

It takes alot of power to turn that compressor. It should drop a couple hundred RPM.

Not sure what the hesitation is, check the TSB's. www.nissanhelp.com

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - SOLD

2010 Infiniti G37 - Sport | Premium | Navigation
post #4 of 35 Old 06-09-2006, 04:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott32
hey eveyone I'm new here. I did a search but coudn't find what I was looking for.

About 2 monhts ago my 05 Altima (34k miles) started hesitating when starting. Happened everyone once in a while. Had a fuel system clean when I got my last oil change. Thought it took care of it but I was wrong.

I took it to Nissan last week and they bugged out, after market air filter, dirty cabin filter, clogged fuel injectors, blah, blah, blah. Tring to sell me the 30k tune up. However I did have them do the full fuel system cleaning and throttle body adjustement.

Car ran excellent untill today. My wife called, she has the car today, and it did the hesitation thing twice. I really don't want to go back to Nissan but when I spoke to the guy at Pep Boys he'll not look at it.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is.

Nissan in NY looked at the starter 2 months ago and the battery's been checked, it's fine.

Also, and this could be totally seperate. When the car's stopped at a light and the A/Cs on, when the compressor kicks in it really kills the idle, never stalled, never dropped below 600+ but drops it a bit.
Check this Link "Scott32" :

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-004.htm

Hope this helps us both...This is exactly what I"m suffering from....Thanx for the link to NissanHelp LSUtigerME
post #5 of 35 Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 AM

I have the same problem but only when its warm kinda like vapor lock. But no matter how long I crank it on the first try it won't go. As soon as I give it a second start it starts like nothing ever happened. That's on a 05 2.5S w/ 24K on it. I'm due for service soon. I'll ask around then.
post #6 of 35 Old 06-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Shift_Automatic..gheyness

My 05 did this as well. It would start fine if it sat overnight, but if you drove for a while then try to start it after an hour or so it would take a few cranks to turn over. The way I got around it was by pressing in the accelerator once before cranking the motor, worked everytime. But now i've noticed that the problem has completely disappeared. I've heard many different causes for this. Everything from additives in summer gasoline mixtures to the fuel pump. None of which have been proven though. I know it's annoying but just do one accelerator pump before you crank and you'll be fine.

05' Altima SE 5AT - A little of this, a little of that.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-25-2006, 04:43 AM

2002 3.5 won't start

Scott did you find any remedy for the intermittent problem? Our '02 3.5 is in the dealership with an intermittent starting problem. She cranks hard but there is no fuel or spark or something. We can get different results if we wait a few hours but that's a pain. I really want to avoid the systematic replacement of every fuel, electrical and processor on board, only to find is some vac leak or a defect.
post #8 of 35 Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 AM
changeyour|gameplan

After posting and editing this about 5 times as I searched the net, I found my post here:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/com...osition+sensor

And a link to the TSB here:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-063.htm

Here's another short of it:
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...RefNo=NTB04063

Why the F didn't this come up when searching service bulletings for 05's did I just miss it!???? Your original post says hesitation. Mine just had no firing whatsoever. Not sure which you meant. There is the cold soak TSB, so depending on your situation, either could be it...

Last edited by thatchman1; 06-26-2006 at 02:16 AM.
post #9 of 35 Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Thank you for all the info thatchman. The car came back from the dealership with no trouble found. To clarify, my car will not fire. Of course this never happens at the shop. I don't see my '02 year mentioned in the TSB and I'm unsure if 'cold soak' applies to QR25 Engine. Is that a 2.5L? I will provide the documentation to the dealer if this occurs again.
post #10 of 35 Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
changeyour|gameplan

I don't think the parts were super expensive... I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if you're under warranty or not. I do know though, how frustrated people get when their car intermittently fails. I might have those parts replaced anyway if the price is reasonable, just to test it out.

I know for 02's there was an ECM upgrade for power loss in warm weather that also solved some idle issues... not sure about start issues. I would just hit as many bases as you can to try to eliminate the issue. I don't know if I said this before, but the TSB said replace the parts if the customer complains, as opposed to "if a code shows up" because the part either cant' show up as testable, or sometimes doesn't show up ever due to the nature of the part. I just don't remember... someone else might know that.

I'm not sure if it was 3.5 only or both 2.5 or 3.5. I've owned 3.5's all through. 02, 05 and SE-R 05.
post #11 of 35 Old 08-04-2006, 06:38 AM

I have a similar issue with my 02 altima. I have to crank it for prolonged times and a few for it to start. If it sits for more than 15 minutes it does the same thing, if i leave it alone for more than 24 hours it turns on fine. I have changed the coils and plugs.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Ass slider

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
i'm not sure what happened to me but i am almost certain that my 2006 2.5s hesitated ONCE. but it might have been because i let go too early....which i never do.... it was a hot day so maybe i was just out of it.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 AM

I have this same problem on my 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S - will print this thread and the TSB above and take it to the dealer. This issue started when I was WITHIN the factory warranty - and I reported it. Now that I'm out (they could not get me in for service right away), I hope they will still cover it.
post #14 of 35 Old 09-03-2006, 07:44 PM

So the dealer followed NTB04-004 and replaced my starter and put some full cleaner in my 2006 Altima 2.5S. It did not work. Immediately, same day, the car did the same exact thing. I called the dealer back and they said they could not do the ECM programming because their machine did not have the "card" for the 2006 model. They said they would call me when that card came in for my car.

I also mentioned to them NTB04-063. That is the next thing I am going to have them follow - to replace those sensors named in that NTB.

I feel like I'm driving a POS when I go to start my 06 and it won't start with a crowd of people around.
post #15 of 35 Old 09-05-2006, 11:49 PM

I bought my 02 3.5SE a few months ago and ever since then I've been having the same problems, car wont start on first try after it sits for more than about 15min. Ive been searching for a month and still have found no for sure cause which surprises me seeing that so many other people are having this problem. I have found that before I start the car, if I turn the key to the on position (right before it starts cranking) and wait a few seconds then turn it off and back on and wait a few more seconds then start it, it will start up fine. However, Im still not happy with this and I'm not going to continue doing this everytime I want to start the car. And like most people said, the dealer could not give me any reason why it was doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode