2005 Altima Intermittent Starting Problem - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 AM
slowly losing my sanity..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^Your SES light never comes on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 06-26-2007, 07:54 AM

ya it actually came on a few times. I dont have the scanner for running the code, and no local places will touch it still its still under factory warranty

2005 2.5s
post #18 of 32 Old 01-01-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Anymore updates?

Mine still does this about 1/8 of the starts. Have to stop and try again, and then second time it always starts. Been doing it for years at this point. ha-ha.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE - 130,000+ Miles
post #19 of 32 Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM

This just happened to me this morning. I came out to the car and tried to start it. It cranked but would not start. After I tried it a few times and pressed on the gas it started and has run fine since. I looked up the TSB for 2002-04 for no start after cold-soak. Seemed to match to me. I called a dealership and asked them about it. The service writer looked up the information and then asked me if I or someone cut the car on moved real quick (like if I were blocking someone in the driveway) then cut it off. She said the car can flood. At first I didn't remember but I had moved the last night I had backed it up a few inches to get in my garage. It was running less then 10 seconds, just the the set of events she had described. This has happened to me before and that happened after my Dad moved my car to let someone out of the driveway. She said the 4s are very prone to this problem... and I was all set to pay for a start motor too

post #20 of 32 Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 AM

altima 2.5s 2005 starting problem

I have same issue with not starting. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries andhas stranded me ounce already. They did find recall three days ago. I brought it home and worked fine till today it started hard again. I'm taking it back tommorow with fingers crossed but doesn't look to good considering what I have already read so far. Any other new up dates

Last edited by tking43@hotmail.com; 01-03-2008 at 03:54 AM.
post #21 of 32 Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 PM

A couple months ago, I started having this problem where the engine would be hard to start on "warm starts"...Not when it had been sitting all night, or if I turned it off and then back on right away, only when it had been sitting for ~1hr. Anyways, after a couple months of this, I got a P0340 SES code (camshaft position sensor code).

I took it to the dealer and they tried to convince me it was another problem, and the cam sensor was fine. After they "fixed" it, the error came back and it was still hard to start. After being unable to start it one night, I took it back and demanded they change the cam sensor. It's been a couple weeks now and the SES light hasn't come back and it starts up fine now.

There's a TSB for hard warm start and/or P0340 code which prescribes a new cam sensor, and although it states only for the V6 Altima, this is exactly what I got with my 2005 2.5. Note that the camshaft sensor is in a different location than the crankshaft position sensor, although both sensors are the same. If the car's hard to start, it could be the camshaft position sensor about to fail.

Link to TSB: Knowledgebase - Nissanhelp.com
post #22 of 32 Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM

You have a 2005 altima and my 2004 altima that was made in 11/03 all use the same Bosh fuel filter assembly. Imagine that. You need to replace the assembly. I created a very detailed how to, but I don't know how to get it in here. I can e-mail the pdf if you like.

Mike

Mistic Emerald
post #23 of 32 Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 PM

mine is still doing this. The dealer has replaced my crank position sensor twice. I guess i'll be going back soon to have them change the cam position sensor now.

2005 2.5s
post #24 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 AM

I have been having the same exact problem with my 2004 Altima. It usually stalls while I'm at the light. I have to turn the ignition completely off for about a minute and then try to restart. At the same time, I getting numerous beeps from cars behind me. This is very embarrassing. I took my car in for a recall and they supposedly replaced the crank position sensor, but it did not change anything. I'm still experiencing the same problem. This really sucks!
post #25 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 AM

I'm not a car expert or that experienced with cars but my 06 2.5 does the same thing but what I do is turn the key to ACC and wait until all the electrical is on, once everything is on I turn the engine on and it seems to work. I hate it when I have to valet my car though its so embarrassing hearing it crank when they turn it on. I think I'm going to take it in to the dealer though but I'm afraid they are going to blame it on the headers or piggy back thats why I have yet to take it in. Has anyone who's modded their engine had nissan blame the mods for the problem?

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S Special Edition
MODS
19" Diablo Delta Force
AEM CAI
AT Grounding Kit
Stillen QR-PRO
Stillen Racing Headers
Zenn lowering springs
Strada CF Eyelids
post #26 of 32 Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Same thing happening to me today. I tried starting it today (cold start), and it would crank but wouldn't turn on. On my 4th time starting, it barely came to life after 15 seconds. The RPM's went to around 800 and than started climbing to normal idle speed. Usually, RPM's shoot up to 2000 on a cold start. Did anyone ever have this issue resolved?

06 2.5 with 14 000 miles.
post #27 of 32 Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Arrrgh I have an 06 3.5 59kmiles auto with nismo cat back...Well maintained

Recently have been having the cold start problem that pppl having.cranks and cranks and barely starts. or just flat out doesn't start...Geez wtf. Batt and Alt ok.

One of Mississippi's "quality" nissan products..

Keep traffic flowing KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT. What could that mean? Now get the hell out of the left lane and backing up traffic you DOUCHE!
post #28 of 32 Old 12-15-2014, 02:51 AM

My Altima is starting better now.

I've had the same problem with my 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (63,000 miles). I've found that if I wait several seconds to turn the ignition off after putting the car in park that it starts fine the next time. I can't explain it because I'm not a mechanic but it's a fact. Hope this helps someone.
post #29 of 32 Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My 2005 3.5 SE V-6 had been doing this since I bought it new back in 2005. Every few months or so whenever I turned the key it would act as if the battery was weak and would crank for a good while before starting. When it did finally start, there would be a puff of smoke and I could smell gasoline especially when this happened in my garage. I took it to the dealer several times to have the issue checked and they would tell me no codes found. It finally stopped cranking two weeks ago at 160k miles and I took it to the dealer. They diagnosed it and said both camshaft sensors were bad. I replace them AND the CRANKSHAFT sensor - I figured the CRANKSHAFT sensor would fail soon also. Don't want to get stuck anywhere.

My 1996 Max SE 3.5 did not give me any warnings - it just wouldn't start one evening after I left the grocery store. I sold it.
post #30 of 32 Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 AM
professional insomniac

My 02 3.5SE had the battery and brake warning lights flash last fall. The battery wasn't charging, so I suspected the alternator was going or went bad...but it had been replaced the previous year already. I had the battery tested at Murray's and they said it's a-ok, no dead cells. I was ready to dive in and try replacing the voltage regulator on the alternator, but after trying to crank my car for an extended period, I actually blew a fuse in the fusible link [p/n 24380-79912] (connected to the positive battery terminal). A YouTube video I saw mentioned how crappy the fusible links are in Nissans and recommended buying spares (for about $13-16) each, because when they go bad, strange things happen electrically with the car. Since I blew a fuse, I had to replace the darn thing anyway, so I got one off eBay, and after installing it in my car, IT STARTS UP JUST LIKE NEW!! Holy moly the warning lights are gone and my car doesn't have any weak cranking issues anymore. The battery is charging, and I couldn't be happier! No need to fix the alternator anymore! I'm going to reinstate the insurance and make my alti my primary daily drive now. I was driving my 08 Sentra, but it really made me sad to drive for the past year while I worked on the alti. At nearly 200k miles, I'm looking forward to squeezing another 100k out of my 02!

Last edited by patster; 03-24-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode