LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 Altima Intermittent Starting Problem

2005 Altima 2.5.

About 40 percent of the time, when I go to start the car, it has trouble starting. It cranks extra extra long, before actually starting. It is definetly not the battery, it has been replaced, and I swapped it out again temporarily just to make sure.

It's almost like it isn't getting gasoline or something.

Any ideas would be appreciated just so I have an idea what's up. Of course, I'll take it in probably too.

1994 Nissan Altima GXE - 130,000+ Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 AM

Had a discussion on this topic a few weeks back. Here is the thread and a few links that might help you. I have the same problem with my 05 2.5S not starting but mine only does it when warmed up. Never does it on the first start of the day or after sitting more that 4-5 hours. Found that if you pump the throttle 2 or 3 times before you try to start it it'll start fine. Read the TSB on the 04 and older 2.5 fuel system recall and you'll find some pertinent information.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/com...sometimes.html
post #3 of 32 Old 07-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Ass slider

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
hmm strange, if its not the recall, then have your alternator checked out
The Following User Says Thank You to spike228 For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 32 Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys.

tony - Sorry to hear your car has the some problem. Mine *never* does it on the first start of the day either. It tends to do it in the afternoon or early evening, when the ambient air temperature is at the highest (not saying it's related, but that is when it happens to me), which is usually the 2nd or 3rd start of the day.

A shame they aren't doing anything for our cars, with this issue. Maybe I won't take it in, since they're bound to tell me "can't reproduce problem." Isn't that the worst thing? When you have an intermittent problem like this? So very very annoying.

Thanks for the help. Maybe someday they'll take care of this.

post #5 of 32 Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM

I have the same problem. I've taken it to 2 different dealerships, and both say "We cannot reproduce the problem".

2005 2.5s
post #6 of 32 Old 07-26-2006, 01:29 PM

Do you move your car in the driveway and then shut it off right away? If so your car may very well be flooding. Mat the gas pedal while cranking and it'll turn over and when you move it in the driveway while its cold just let it run for an extra minute or two. The 2.5 is a really weird modern motor. It has neat things like variable intake runners and valve timing, yet it floods easily and sometimes you have to hold the gas pedal to start it like its the early 70's.

Haikus Are Easy
But Sometimes They Don't Make Sense
Refrigerator
post #7 of 32 Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Car Wont Start - 2005 Altima 2.5SE

At 10,000 miles and again at 10,285 miles, got into the car and the engine just cranked. In both instances the car had been sitting for over an hour.
While cranking the engine acted as though it was severely out of time, rough right to left motion of the engine. Being an old timer, I suspected vapor lock and open the gas cap... That changed nothing. Couldn't determine if the engine was not getting gas or was flooded. (I never pump the gas on the newer cars). Since I had tried to start the car several times, my first step was to assume the car was flooded - held the pedal to the metal, cranked for 5-6 secs, let up and tried to start the car again. NO LUCK.

The first time the car acted like this, I opened the hood to see if there was a strong smell of gas or if there was any readily observable as loose or broken. Didn't see a thing. Closed the hood. Got back in the car, and it fired up like nothing was wrong.

So the second time, I re-created the list of actions of took the first time.
Opened the gas cap. Once again that changed nothing. Opened the hood, sniffed around for 30 seconds. Closed the hood. The car started immediately, like nothing was wrong. Doesn't run rough, wasn't a hard, or rough start. Soooo,

I'm wondering, since I've read that previous years had problems with the cam positioning sensor or the circuit board controlling the cam sensor having a poor solder, I wonder if the action of dropping the hood several inches is adjusting something under the hood that is enabling the car to start?????

Maybe it's a built in mechanics tool for re-booting the car. Open the hood would be like control-alt-delete......

I do know that if I bring this car into the dealer and describe the problem, he's going to tear apart a perfectly (almost) good car and it will never be the same... So any thoughts or similar problems observed would be appreciated.
post #8 of 32 Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 AM

Same problem with my 02 altima 82700 miles on it. Took it to two mechanics the injectors, fuel pump are ok. After four or five tries car starts with a strong gas smell. Mechanic told me the plugs are getting flooded, told me the throttle body is giving to much gas. He recommended for me to take it to Nissan to have the computer reprogammed.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-30-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Any other experiences or updates? Is Nissan recognizing this problem yet?

My 2005 is still having this issue. Never on first start of the day, but happens regularly on second or third start of the day. Won't start, until I stop cranking, and then try again.

post #10 of 32 Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Master of the UOA

Sounds like a crank position sensor that's on it's way out to me.

BC.
post #11 of 32 Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Hey everyone,
Sorry for the long time since my last post. Been to the dealer as many have before and paid for the fuel injector service to no avail. Still having the same problem. I have contacted the dealer and am working my way up the phone tree at NIssan USA to try and get NIssan to expand the scpoe of the TSB to include 05 and 06 models since when I showed the TSB to the dealer he immediately told me it didn't involve my year Alti. I'll let you know if I ever get anywhere on this. Have fun and speed safely!!
post #12 of 32 Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM

By the way...

For those of you who may not have found or dug deep enough for the TSB's on this problem....voila!!! PS If you go to my first post at the beginning of this thread, there's a link to a similar thread that also has info and was where I originally found the TSB's listed below.

Service Bulletins Nissan Cars

(This is directed to the VQ's but you may have luck on getting it done on the QR.)

And if you havent already been there this is a useful site if you feel you're having problems with your Nissan:

Diagnose Problems Nissan Altima
post #13 of 32 Old 06-25-2007, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Any updates here? Mine still has the issue. How frustrating it is. Hope others are doing better!

post #14 of 32 Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 AM
slowly losing my sanity..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoyle
Do you move your car in the driveway and then shut it off right away?
Don't overlook this question. A lot of people have experienced this trouble. Many people racked their brains trying to figure out what the problem was..... then a light went on in their head, "Oh, yeah. I did move the car from the street to the garage!" ...and that was the cause of their trouble all along...
post #15 of 32 Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altima94_05
Any updates here? Mine still has the issue. How frustrating it is. Hope others are doing better!
I posted a while ago up there about taking it to 2 different dealerships. At that time, they both stated that they couldn't reproduce the problem, and they simply returned the car to me. A few weeks ago I was driving, luckily at a slow speed in a parking lot, and my altima completely stalled out on me. It's an automatic, so something was obviously wrong. When I tried to restart it, the car was giving me the same starting problems that it's been giving me for the past 25k miles. So I called a friend, and in the mean time it decides to start, so I immediately drive it home slowly just incase it decides to stall again. On the way to the nissan dealership the next day, it decides to stall again, this time at the traffic light before reaching the dealership, then once again right infront of service supervisor at the dealership. Both times it wouldnt crank for a few minutes. Since the problem was obviously apparent to the service guy at nissan, he noted that it was indeed occuring and that they should check it out even if they cant reproduce it. So basically I get the car back the next day, and they told me that they replaced the "Crank Position Sensor", which was a TSB related to my VIN and it listed all of the problems I was having as symptoms of a bad sensor needing replacement. It worked fine for the first day of having it back, then bam, the 2nd start of that next morning, it was cranking harder than ever, barely starting after making a little sputter sound.

Moral of my story: Changing the crank position sensor does NOT fix our problem. 25,xxx miles later and atleast 7 trips to the dealership, I still have the same problem that has only gotten worse. Hopefully Nissan will fix this for us soon. Its becoming an embarrassment when I take clients out to lunch and my car doesn't start.

2005 2.5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode