The Nissan Club banner

problems filling up gas

23K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  spike228 
#1 ·
i am sure that this isn't the cause of a faulty pump because i've been to several gas stations and its happened.

ok here is the problem, i am trying to fill up my gas as usual and then the pump stops as if the tank was full (the clicky thing went off and the pump stopped). this was impossible because i only filled up 1 gallon (my tank was below 1/4 full and i paid for 10 gallons). so i let go of the pump trigger and pumped it again. it went for a second and it stopped again. so i waited about 5 seconds, started it up again and it ran fine for 5 gallons and then it stopped short again. this kept happening until i finally reached my 10 gallons that i paid for.

has this happened to anyone else? is this a problem with the gas tank or something? thanks.

#2 ·
This has been a problem for me since day one. Our gas tanks must be gay or something. I find that certain pumps, even different ones at the same station wont do it while others will.

Could it also be possible that in today's world they are making the shutoff too sensitive since a lot of new cars out there if you fill them up beyond a certain point they will not start (I fail to see the logic behind this feature) and have to be towed away. Obviously a gas station doesnt want to have to deal with that.

#3 ·
Another oldie returns....

Just try a seperate pump, or repositioning the nozzle (recommended). The filler neck is pretty small, so if you jam the nozzle against the back of it, the gas will slosh back on the nozzle and shut it off. Just pull the nozzle out a bit, and let it rest by it's weight. I've never had this problem consistently, since this has always fixed it. The pump will still shutoff in due time. I'm notorious for squeezing the maximum into my tank and have only overfilled on the rare occasion that I'm not paying attention.

#6 ·
yeah LSU is right, and yes it is annoying. if you push the nozzle too far back, the gas will splash up and trigger something that tells the pump to stop because it thinks that it's full. just dont push the nozzle all the way back, it doesnt have anywhere to go but in the tank, so it doesnt need to be far back

#9 ·
Back in the day when I managed a gas station we used to change out these shut off all the time because of faulty or malfunctioning ones. Some are more sensitive than others and some are simply worn out and need to be replaced. If it happens at all the pumps the problem is likely the way youre filling it or your car. If not, it's probably t a faulty sensor...

Lj

#10 ·
liljohnny said:
Back in the day when I managed a gas station we used to change out these shut off all the time because of faulty or malfunctioning ones. Some are more sensitive than others and some are simply worn out and need to be replaced. If it happens at all the pumps the problem is likely the way youre filling it or your car. If not, it's probably t a faulty sensor...

Lj
its gotta be a problem with the 05-06 models. notice how most of the 05-06 model owners claim to have this problem while the 02-04 owners don't know what the hell we are talking about.

#12 ·
those are similar but very different issues. for me, gas doesn't spill out at all. the pump just stops as if it were full and if i continued to pump, everything goes on completely fine until it stop again. like i said, before, the only problem i have is that i have to rapid fire the nozzle like it was a pistol or something.

#14 ·
i haven't filled up my car yet but i took my car in to get it checked up since its still covered by waranty.

i am getting my coolant lines and radiator checked out (coolant level is low in the resevoir when engine is cold) and my gas tank checked out to see if its an actual fixable problem. i just dropped off my car about 30 minutes ago and i should get it back by tomorrow morning

#15 ·
okay so i got my car back today from the dealer. as expected, nothing was wrong with the coolant line or the radiator, they simply filled it with more coolant.

as for the gas tank, they said there was nothing wrong. they filled it up with no hiccups at all. they even told me to make sure to shove the nozzle all the way in as far as it can go....which i have been doing every time i've gone to the gas station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.