2002 Altima No HEAT - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2002 Altima No HEAT

I have a 2002 Altima and it started out no having heat when idleing and now I have no heat at all. My service engine soon light stays on and I am using oil. It is getting cold and I need some help on fixing the heat before I take it to a dealer that will be very expensive. Please Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Ass slider

what do you mean by heat? do you mean the temperature needle isn't reading heat when you turn the car on? but eventually, it didn't read at all?

I think its normal for the needle to stay at cold when you first start your engine, mine does that. after i run my car for about the distance of a block, the temperature meter starts reading.

Mods:
| there's a tube on the throttle body | gots some fogs too | got some sounds | HIDzzz | some metal thingy | Nismo exhaust | sport grill | NIZMO WHEELZ /Stikcy as shit tires | Fck the prop rod | header | JIHAD MIRRORS | some metal bar | LEDS | DROPed | some rubber thing | pulled out a chunk of metal | CALIPER PAINT | more metal rods |

#3 Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 PM
enlighten me

I think he means that the inside heater blows cold air at idle. Mine does this too, probably becuase the water pump isn't pushing enough coolant through the heater coil at idle.
#4 Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 PM
VQ35DE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The no heat problem is likely just air in the system. Have your cooling system fully flushed and filled with new coolant, and then perform the bleeding procedure (very important - get a service manual and follow the instructions exactly).

The using oil and check engine light may be related. You need to go to an Autozone or something and have your code read. Let us know what the code is. If you have a 2.5, it might be a bad precat or something like that, and will end up destroying your engine (damage may have already been done, as indicated by the oil burning).

il_signore97
'05 Altima 3.5 SE 5-spd M/T Smoke
#5 Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpmhp
I have a 2002 Altima and it started out no having heat when idleing and now I have no heat at all. My service engine soon light stays on and I am using oil. It is getting cold and I need some help on fixing the heat before I take it to a dealer that will be very expensive. Please Help
If your thermostat is stuck open, it will cause your temp needle to read colder and you won't have heat.
If your needle is reading really hot, it could be your water pump has s*** the bed.
There a bunch of causes, w/o knowing the symptoms its hard to help.
#6 Old 10-26-2006, 01:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_signore97
The no heat problem is likely just air in the system. Have your cooling system fully flushed and filled with new coolant, and then perform the bleeding procedure (very important - get a service manual and follow the instructions exactly).

The using oil and check engine light may be related. You need to go to an Autozone or something and have your code read. Let us know what the code is. If you have a 2.5, it might be a bad precat or something like that, and will end up destroying your engine (damage may have already been done, as indicated by the oil burning).
Will this cause me to have no heat?
#7 Old 10-26-2006, 01:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
I have already replaced the thermostat and that did not help.
#8 Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 PM
VQ35DE

Yes, air in the system will cause no heat.

There are a few steps you can take to eliminate this problem as a possible cause:

1. Fully drain and re-fill the system several times (follow the flushing procedure in the service manual).
2. Buy a new rad cap - they often go bad and let air into the system.
3. There is a TSB called "Poor Heater Performance" about bleeding all of the air out of the system. After you flush the system, follow this exact procedure to get all of the air out of your system. This is very important.

Hopefully that will fix your problem. If not, a plugged heater core might be the issue.

EDIT: You can find the TSB on "www.nissanhelp.com" by clicking on "ownership".

il_signore97
#9 Old 10-31-2006, 09:41 PM

i had the same problem and got it fixed today at nissan... they bled the AIR outta the system( alott of air in there) and cleaned out some leaves; only cost $88.00
#10 Old 10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
VQ35DE

I suggest to all Altima owners that still have heat to make it a habit of replacing the radiator pressure cap every 2 years or so. It's not an expensive piece, and they seem to be failing prematurely causing air to enter the system. Replacing them is a great way to prevent air from ever getting in.

Also, religiously keep those coolant recovery bottles full of coolant mix. It's okay to overfill them slightly to really assure that no air will be sucked into the system due to low coolant in the bottle.

il_signore97
#11 Old 11-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Some good info. Does anyone know the refilling procedure? Don't have a service manual...
#12 Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM
VQ35DE

If you're talking about the special "burping" procedure, that is a TSB (I believe) and it should be available at "www.nissanhelp.com" (click on ownership and check out the TSB's).

il_signore97
#13 Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 PM

So, are all of the "special tools" actually required? Also, the TSB references drain locations, etc. Is there anyway to view these points online?

Lastly, what should a dealer charge for this service?

Thanks in advance.
#14 Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM
VQ35DE

^For some reason I'm having a bit of a brain fart over here, and I can't find the TSB!!! Can you post up the link for me? Thanks.

il_signore97
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode