Water Noise While pressing on Gas - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM

Water Noise While pressing on Gas

Has anyone had this problem in their 2003 Altima 3.5 SE. It's the weirdest thing. When I press on the gas, it sounds like water draining on the passenger side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
There is no SPOON!

care to be more specific? i think i know what it is.... it could be the column between the windshield and passengerside window in the interior of the car.... the bottom edge of it, where it meets the dash and windshield can get loose and when it shakes or vibrates, typically sounds like a pot with boiling water with a lid on top, with the lid shaking/bouncing?

sorry thats the best idea that i have
Old 11-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Positive Contact

I think there's a TSB for this. Something about flushing the cooling system to burp it. I used to get this noise too, but it seems to have gone away. One person here just topped off their radiator/reservoir with fluid and it went away. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:56 PM

It also could be the radiator so be careful... Check your coolant levels..
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 PM
VQ35DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblack
Has anyone had this problem in their 2003 Altima 3.5 SE. It's the weirdest thing. When I press on the gas, it sounds like water draining on the passenger side.

This seems to be popping up a lot around here lately

You likely have air in your cooling system and/or low coolant levels in the rad and recovery bottles.

You should have your cooling system fully and properly purged of all air. Also, if your system needs a flush and re-fill, now is the time. A new rad cap is also very highly recommended to prevent air from entering again. Have the system pressure tested to ensure that no other leaks exist as well.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:37 PM
never take it to the shop

Its 100% air in the heater core assembly in your car. If your car only gets hot only during acceleration then you have a huge pocket (me). Dealer fixed mine. The dealer told me you litterally have to jack up the car in a certain way to force the coolant to flow through the system. I was like !!! Thats the dumbest design I have every seen in my life. They fixed it for free because they had my car for 16 days. The price of them doing its was $300.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:09 PM
F U R Y !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trucavalier
Its 100% air in the heater core assembly in your car. If your car only gets hot only during acceleration then you have a huge pocket (me). Dealer fixed mine. The dealer told me you litterally have to jack up the car in a certain way to force the coolant to flow through the system. I was like !!! Thats the dumbest design I have every seen in my life. They fixed it for free because they had my car for 16 days. The price of them doing its was $300.
the dealer ordered a tool from nissan but they ended up making their own because it worked better than nissan's
have the dealer flush the cooling system (cheaper than have them charge you +/-$300 to "burp")

here's a link on the DIY How to Burp Your Car's Cooling System - eHow.com

(the dealer took care of mine and then a couple of months later they had to change the radiator because of a crack)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trucavalier

You hit the nail right on the head 1trucavalier. It only gets hot when I press on the gas. I have never heard of such a thing. I appreciate all the responses from everyone.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
VQ35DE

^It seems to be quite a common problem on Altimas. There have been at least three or four posts on it in the past 2 weeks! lol
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Anti-Elitist

I too have this symptom. Already tried once, unsuccessfully. I'll try it again after finals.

2010 Infiniti G37 - Sport | Premium | Navigation
Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 PM
GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_signore97
^It seems to be quite a common problem on Altimas. There have been at least three or four posts on it in the past 2 weeks! lol
Weather is getting colder so more people are trying to use their heater for the first time in months.

Also, whenever you have a car where parts of the motor where coolant flows are higher than the radiator cap/recovery tank, you will develop air in the system if your recovery bottle gets low or your radiator cap leaks air.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:56 PM
F U R Y !

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak67
Weather is getting colder so more people are trying to use their heater for the first time in months.

Also, whenever you have a car where parts of the motor where coolant flows are higher than the radiator cap/recovery tank, you will develop air in the system if your recovery bottle gets low or your radiator cap leaks air.
Have a mechanic do a pressure check on your radiator to make sure there are no leaks. If you're planning a DIY make sure to use a NEW radiator cap instead of the old one.

good luck
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 AM

I am pretty sure this is going on with my car and it is an '05. I will try to burp it myself and I guess we will see happens.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Shift_Emotions

My 03 3.5 does it as well. I'll be putting it up on ramps and bleed the system. I've had a couple of other cars do this too.
2003 Polished Pewter Altima 3.5 SE 4AT w/ SE-R Tails, 30% Tint, Front and Rear Irotors Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Goodridge SS brakelines, ATE Blue brake fluid, Redline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid, Eibach Prokit, KYB struts and shocks, Yokohama S Drives, Blizzak WS-50s, and B&M Hi-Tek Trans Cooler. Parked for now due to timing chain...

Old 11-29-2006, 05:44 PM
VQ35DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak67

Yes, cold weather! I've had the heater going for at least a month if not more now

So far so good with my car in terms of heater performance and air... I'll probably flush her out next year, since it'll be 2 years old in April 2007. Plus, I do a lot of mileage (35,000+ miles per year), so it's not a bad idea. I'm hoping the bleeding will go well, and that I don't introduce a problem either!

I've done coolant flushes / system purging with many cars before, and it's not fun. The air bubbles never seem to all come out, but in most cars, after a week of driving normally, the recovery bottle seems to pick up the slack and release the air. A few top ups and it's usually solved for good. But in this car, it seems as though the heater core is mounted much higher than in other cars, essentially trapping air within it. I'm thinking perhaps a back-flush starting at one of the heater hoses would do the trick, and would be less of a hassle than the stupid "jack up the front end and hope that all the air purges out" routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.