Clunking noise when driving over potholes - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clunking noise when driving over potholes

My '05 Altima 3.5 was driving me insane whenever I went over potholes/bumps in the road at 25-35mph. Dealer discovered an internal weld in a front exhaust pipe was the culprit. Dealer replaced front exhaust pipe two weeks ago and noise was markedly improved. Now I'm hearing the same noise although much fainter sound and it seems to be coming from the rear of the car although tough to tell as sound travels. Took car to dealer today and asked if all the other exhaust pipes could be checked out on the car again as the noise is the same but not as pronounced and maybe the weld on another pipe has not broken completely yet and that is why the noise is not as noticable. Shop foreman came out on a 4 block test drive with me and says he heard something but only very faintly. Dealership refuses to check car out again and car rolls out of warranty soon. Has anyone had a clunking noise like this? Does anyone know of any TSB's on my car's problem? I'm not nuts, just very tuned in to this clunking sound when I go over bumps/potholes. I was right about what I was hearing the first time but how do I get dealer to check car out again when the noise is a lot harder to hear? Any help or guidance as to what other things to ask dealer to check out to find the "clunking" noise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
F U R Y !

This clunking noise is coming from the passenger side, right?
I had the same problem with my 05 SE. I was hoping it was the strut but it turned out to be the rack and pinion
I would take it to another dealer before the warranty runs out. Mine did it around 40K miles.
Good luck
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Harley/Altima guy

Wow funny this thread apperaed. I've noticed some cluncking from the passenger side front. I notice it more on smaller bumps or washboard pavement than heavy bumps. It makes me nuts! I've looked around for anything loose but hope to God it ain't the rack and pinion set. I'm just a bit out of warranty - 93,000 miles! How do I check that out for sure? Anybody have any suggestions?

03 3.5 SE Crystal Blue 5 speed
Frankencar w/Apexi intake, Custom catbck w/Magnaflows, Sunroof , Spoiler, Side Sills, Compass Mirror, Extra Badging
Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM
‾‾

I have the same noise, but I think mine is comming from front left...

Anyone have any idea what that could be? I just hit 45K

Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpuette
Wow funny this thread apperaed. I've noticed some cluncking from the passenger side front. I notice it more on smaller bumps or washboard pavement than heavy bumps.
same here. not really sure what it is either...

Black 05 3.5SE Altima
Berk V2 ll AT Grounding Kit ll AT S5 grille ll SE-R Tails ll 5% tint ll 51-fifty 18'' black/chrome rims ll Falken tires ll Eibach Pro-Kit ll CE y-pipe ll Mossy Performance Exhaust
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
GR

All of you sound like you are experiencing noise related to blown struts.
Nissan front struts are notorious for being weak, some members here have complained that their struts have gone out in as little as 30K miles or less.
Try switching out your stock struts with the KYB GR-2 or pony up the big dollars and get the Active Tuning modified Koni adjustable struts.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 AM

my tech went me on a test ride and told me it was the suspension giving to the bumps or stress with big bumps...do i believe him???? no, but i wanna get it checked again my 05 3.5 is at 33k..

-2005 Altima 3.5 SE Sunset Sonoma 47k (4/21/08)
-platinum headlights bulbs
-POLISHED BILLET GRILLE
Old 04-05-2007, 04:41 AM
Off D Beaten Path I Reign

It's the struts ..trust me ... they deny it and all that ...they told me I was crazy but thank god I know my sh*t and i'm very cool with the guys at my old dealership. They went through the engine ..i told them it was the struts ..they looked at the shields...i told them it was the struts ....they finally just gave in and changed the struts ..and wow what you know ..it was the struts... my car wasn't a year old when this happened...no where even close to when they are supposed to be changed.

Nissans crappy struts ... but good news they changed the manufacturer of the struts that were in the 05's and the new ones don't give trouble as the old ones that came with the car did... go in and tell them you know what it is and they have to change it since they aren't supposed to be gone already. What do they care if it's a warranty part ...they just prey on people not knowing their cars or how cars work etc. Good luck.

Majestic Blue 2005

Last edited by KingAltima; 04-05-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:49 AM
I take PayPal donations

Possible loose sway bar bolt or related bushing needing some astrolube?

'05 Altima SE-R
'09 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES
Old 04-05-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAltima
It's the struts ..trust me ... they deny it and all that ...they told me I was crazy but thank god I know my sh*t and i'm very cool with the guys at my old dealership. They went through the engine ..i told them it was the struts ..they looked at the shields...i told them it was the struts ....they finally just gave in and changed the struts ..and wow what you know ..it was the struts... my car wasn't a year old when this happened...no where even close to when they are supposed to be changed.

Nissans crappy struts ... but good news they changed the manufacturer of the struts that were in the 05's and the new ones don't give trouble as the old ones that came with the car did... go in and tell them you know what it is and they have to change it since they aren't supposed to be gone already. What do they care if it's a warranty part ...they just prey on people not knowing their cars or how cars work etc. Good luck.
i only have 21k on my car and i have after market springs...are they going to say that violates the warranty?

Black 05 3.5SE Altima
Berk V2 ll AT Grounding Kit ll AT S5 grille ll SE-R Tails ll 5% tint ll 51-fifty 18'' black/chrome rims ll Falken tires ll Eibach Pro-Kit ll CE y-pipe ll Mossy Performance Exhaust
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Off D Beaten Path I Reign

I know different stealerships act differently ...you gotta just stand up to them ..learn how to reproduce the noise so they know something is wrong for sure.. then they HAVE to try and find it and if you're under warranty then they got nothing to lose and neither do you. Some will give you issues for the shocks some wont..even though we know the shocks had nothing to do with this problem...they will pretend if they can that it did...a good dealership won't and they will just fix it. As my last dealership said they will replace anything for me under warranty short of blowing up the engine with nitrous. So i was always safe.

This might help. What I did was to find a place close to the dealership to test it on prior to carying it in...thank god there was a dirt road bumpy enough close by... and when they thought they found it ..the tech and I just drove the road and it was still there until the struts were changed as I first requested.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Harley/Altima guy

King Altima
Thanks for the lowdown. It sounds like the culprit. Like I said, my Alti has 93K on it and 3 1/2 years so they are likely candidates. Is there any way to check struts for the problem? Aside from a "floaty" frfont end, how do you determine a strut is bad?

Any info would be great!

03 3.5 SE Crystal Blue 5 speed
Frankencar w/Apexi intake, Custom catbck w/Magnaflows, Sunroof , Spoiler, Side Sills, Compass Mirror, Extra Badging
Old 04-05-2007, 02:28 PM

It is definitely strut problems I changed mine couple months ago. My front left went bad on me around 45K. Some one had mention to me about how to check if your strut is bad by drive your car to the curb but not over it put it against the curb and give it a little gas not over the curb if you can hear the clunk noise than it is the strut or drive it on the grass field you could hear it very clear. Hope this would help.

2003 Altima (AT) 3.5 SE
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

It might be something else. There was a TSB out on at least the '02s and '03s. The fix was to take off the plastic cowling under your windshield wipers and tighten the big nut under that panel. Most dealers didn't even know how to fix it. It was pretty much found by guys on here experimenting and looking at all the possibilities, that found the cure. This is not to say it couldn't be something else, though. My '03 did it really bad from the day I bought it until I traded it at 61,000 miles. The dealer changed out the front track arms (or whatever they're called. Checked the struts and retorqued the whole front suspension and steering systems. After that, I left the dealership and took a right turn out onto the street and it clunked. I just lived with it. On the '02 and '03, at least it was a big issue for quite some time. It was known as the "infamous Altima clunk". Do a search. It may be archived. That was all about two years ago.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:29 AM

When I go over bumps my rear makes a click /clunk noise. The struts are brand new, just replaced them. the tension bars are fine with the clip holding the bars.
i took it to a dealer and another mechanic and they could not tell me where the noise is coming from. i have read in the forums that others are having the same issue.
I BEg you out there please help me I have no more ideas. the endlimks, sway bar and all suspension components are fine and all bolts tight.

ANY IDEAS???????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode