ABS, TCS, SLIP light on - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM

ABS, TCS, SLIP light on

Hi,

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with approx only 60 km on it and have a problem. I was driving the other day and when I gently applied the brakes (on dry pavement) the ABS system kicked in (the brake pedal started vibrating) and I heard a clicking sound in the front. In addition, while driving the engine seemed to jump (not rev higher) or jolt intermittently and the SLIP light would come on for a fraction of a second when this happened. Then all 3 lights came on (ABS, TCS and SLIP) and I decided to drop it off at the dealer since it was in the area.

Has anyone else had this problem. I read a few threads and it seems like a couple of people had this problem and the result was the wheel speed sensor was gone and had to be replaced. Does anyone know how much this costs?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Boomer

Yea sensor is around $180, probably an hour to change out if they don't break the bolt holding the sensor in (which almost always happens.) This adds another hour or so at dealer rates. All tolled it cost me about $600 cdn. Good luck and hopefully the dealer diagnoses it right the first time.

john

Feedback Thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ven...ck-thread.html
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 AM
HIDaholic

I'd tell them to take their extra hour and shove it straight up their ass. Its not your fault they broke the bolt.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Boomer

The bolt is almost always seized in the hub, the only alternative is to replace the entire hub assembly which is probably another $200+ anyway...

John
Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Code Red SE-R

Hm, I had the same problem when I had an outside shop install a new clutch and flywheel, the jerks at the shop broke one of the speed sensor harnesses and all three lights came on.

I took it in to my dealer and innocently said I don't know what happened. They found it was one of the speed sensors had broken (as I knew) and replaced it for me under warranty.

Just be sure you are at a cool dealer. The first dealer I went to told me it was going to cost x hours or labor plus x dollars for parts so I left. The second dealer said if its a speed sensor, they will do it under warranty because they aren't supposed to just break but they do. It's kind of a known issue.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Problem solved

Hi All,

The result from the dealer was the sensors and ABS system was working OK. The cause of the problem was some "debris" in the rear wheel hub/bearing and it needed to be cleaned out. I asked if the wheel hub/bearing is open and how does debris get in there. They said its not open, but road debris can get in there sometimes.

It cost me a little over $200 ($100 for diagnostics and $100 for lab for cleaning). In all, I guess I can't complain as this is way less than I expected to pay.

Thank you all for you comments/experience with this.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
hello

I had experienced both issues that you have, but on seperate occasions. Like many others, I've had the ABS sensor on the rear right wheel just snap off. They should have definitly used a higher grade bolt for this application. That would throw the ABS, TCS, and SLIP light on. I was long out of warranty, so instead of bringing it to the dealer, I just bought a $3 epoxy and glued it back on where it belongs.

As for the abs vibration on dry pavement... I also had 'debris' in my wheel sensor for some reason. The ABS would kick in constantly, even if i'm stopping from 10mph on a dry road. The ABS works by reading teeth from a ring on the wheel hub. I guess there was some debris there throwing the readings off, causing the ABS to kick in constantly. I just used my compressor and sprayed 90psi of air all around the hubs and the problem went away.

Hope that helps others who experience this.

2002 3.5 SE
Performance: Injen CAI | Nismo Catback Exhaust | OBX Headers | NWP Block Plate | K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers | CE Rear Anti-Sway Bar| Racingline Endlinks | iRotors xdrilled/slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brake Pads

Exterior: 19" Axis Hiros | Stillen Front Lip | Active Tuning S2 Grille |5000k HID Headlights + Foglights | Blacked-out Headlights | SE-R Taillights | Strada Eyelids | 35% Tint | Debadged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.