P0081 Intake Timing Valve..Help me plz :( - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
P0081 Intake Timing Valve..Help me plz :(

First off i would like to thank Nissan for selling me this POS car. Out of the 3 new cars i've purchased, i've never had so many problems as i do with the craptima. Done ranting.

2006 3.5 se 5sp auto altima 38k miles No mods.

Car has rough idle so i brought it to the dealership...They charge me $100 to diagnose it and they came up with P0081 Intake Timing valve Bank 2 is bad. I inquire as to why it goes bad and they tell me because i didn't maintain the car properly. ie oil change, air filter. They ask me when i get my oil change i said 6kmiles.(btw use Mobil1 syn 0w-40) Immediately they bark at me..."oil changes is at 3k miles sir, your waiting too long to do it". Ok ass, but i don't fall under severe service so according to nissan i am good until 7.5k miles for oil changes. Anyways he just goes on how its my fault the part went bad because of my lack of maintain... My car is well maintained ass. Denied for warranty work. I asked if covered under powertrain, NO. Said it was emissions. Than i said it would be covered under emissions part of warranty, NO.

1) Would intake Timing valve cause rough idle? What does it do? Any problems if i drive with a bad intake timing valve solenoid, cause the rough idle is livable ($500 what the stealership wants to charge me)?

2) Does anyone know where its located? Any thoughts what would cause this to go bad besides mechanical failure?

3) There are 2 banks...if one failed due to non mechanical reasons would it make sense to replace the other bank too?

Thanks for your help guys...

One of Mississippi's "quality" nissan products..

Keep traffic flowing KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT. What could that mean? Now get the hell out of the left lane and backing up traffic you DOUCHE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
try again

wow what abunch a effin asses. whatever happened to the customer is always right.

sry about ur car, but i would suggest taking it to a body shop and getting a second opinion.
#3 Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Nissan Service Manuals Check this out. It may help you. It comes from a guy on the 07 Forums-gtcompscientist. You can download the entire 06 Altima manual. Good to have.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
#4 Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Inland Empire

That's BS seems like your Stealership isn't to friendly. I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes you have to be a bigger dyik than them.
#5 Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Positive Contact

Doesn't the warranty run out at 36k miles?

The darkest side of humanity animated.
#6 Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 PM
GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop_Prefect
Doesn't the warranty run out at 36k miles?
Sure does but emissions related items are covered for about 80K miles.
#7 Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by froedrick
Nissan Service Manuals Check this out. It may help you. It comes from a guy on the 07 Forums-gtcompscientist. You can download the entire 06 Altima manual. Good to have.

Thanks for the link..

Yes the bumper-bumper runs out at 36k. But the service advisor told me it was an emissions item. Which runs out at 80k miles....

Im tryin to get a warranty detail paper that breaks down everything that is covered under each part of each warranty portion but have no luck. I called nissan north america and they told me everything is up to the stealerships as to what is covered under warranty or not.

Im tired of having to convince, yell, scream at people at the dealerships and nissan north america to get my fair share of service. Its not like im tryin to rip anyone off....but the stealerships are too damn gready...and nissan northamerica are worthless.

I GIVE UP! I wonder if i could drive my car into a service dept and jump of the car in time so i don't get injured...

Keep traffic flowing KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT. What could that mean? Now get the hell out of the left lane and backing up traffic you DOUCHE!
#8 Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Positive Contact

I would keep trying to have the dealership (or Nissan) foot the bill. I think this is a standard tactic of dealerships to discourage warranty work. Be polite, but still be assertive and don't back down. Maybe try another dealership.

Personally I think that's utter bullshit that they try to deny you warranty for going 7500 miles on your oil change. An "intake timing valve" failure sounds like it has little-to-nothing to do with engine oil. Besides, 7500 miles on an oil change is not unreasonable, as is evidenced by threads from il_signore and others here. Besides, you said your manual even lists it as an option for "non-severe" service.

Keep trying, it sounds as if you have a solid case. Good luck man.

#9 Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 PM

(Thread Starter)
Turns out this part is an easy swap out that i can do....$140 for the part thou. And why did the stealership want to charge me $500? haha

#10 Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Positive Contact

^because they are money hungry cocksuckers that will tell you they need the extra profit for the free pens and cocoa they have in their waiting room. If you're up to it, it's often easier and cheaper just to do the work yourself. Congrats man.

#11 Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 PM

im having the same problem with my intake valve thing. is there a clicking noise coming from your engine or passenger side footwell by any chance?
#12 Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 AM

bump, any answer on this? the clicking noise has come back, but no SES light yet.
#13 Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
I don't remember if there was a clicking noise before and after i changed the solenoid.

The SES light didn't go on. But when i brought the car in and they check it out they "claimed" The p00081 code was pulled.

So i changed the solenoid.

#14 Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Powertrain warranty is good to 60,000 miles. Fight these guys, or better yet, go to another dealer. I have any recalls/warranty work done by a different dealer than where I bought, because they're idiots, and the dealer I take it to for work (only if I have to) is much better and never gives me any grief.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
#15 Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitric View Post
I don't remember if there was a clicking noise before and after i changed the solenoid.

The SES light didn't go on. But when i brought the car in and they check it out they "claimed" The p00081 code was pulled.

So i changed the solenoid.
Did this fix your problem? I'm wondering because I'm occasionally getting a P001 code which is the bank 1 intake valve timing solenoid. I have never had a rough idle but I do get an annoying ticking from time to time. This however from what I've read is simply inherent in the VQ engines.

John

Canucks Rool!
2002 3.5 Ruby
Blacked Out Chrome

Feedback Thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ven...ck-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode