Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 200 Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clunking noise from front end 2003 3.5

I have a noise nobody can seem to find that comes and goes. Its a dull clunking noise on bumpy roads which can turn into a loud CRACK! on a big bump.
My Nissan dealer said it was the right front strut and supposedly replaced it. The noise went away briefly and has returned even worse. I looked at the strut and it looks fine and it still looks like the original strut even though I paid for a new one.
I took it back in and they said it was the sunglasses rattling in the overhead compartment. How freakin' incompetent can you get?

Anyone have a similar noise they have been able to diagnose?

I had the front end checked by another non-dealer mechanic and he said everything is fine.
I bought the car new, its been babied and has only 48,000 miles.
I have checked it over from top to bottom myself and took absolutely everything out of the trunk, glovebox, etc. checked for loose bolts, fittings and anything under the dash that might have come loose. The sounds is coming from in front of the passenger seat and sounds like its just on the other side of the firewall.

Ariel Ramirez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 200 Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM

I had similar issue on my 2002 2.5 S. However, the sound came out from left front. There is a metal arm that is under the wiper cowl. To reach it I had to take away the wipers and take away the wiper cowl. The arm got loose and once was retightened the sound was gone
The Following User Says Thank You to mityay For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 200 Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I'll check that. I hope that's all it is.

post #4 of 200 Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Still looking for other suggestions as well.
post #5 of 200 Old 07-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 03 2.5s did exactly the same thing. The dealer replaced the right sway bar connector rod and retorqued the whole front suspension. Did no good. The clunk happened again as I was leaving the shop after picking it up. My 06 3.5SE is now starting to do the same thing, only not quite as bad. I never did fix the 03 and sold it with 61,000 clunking miles on it. Definitely gonna fix the 06, though, before it makes me nuts. Also, just exactly what does that piece under the cowl look like? I've had mine off and can't find anything that looks like it could be tightened, except that cross brace that has about a dozen small bolts holding it on. Is that the piece? Help appreciated!

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
post #6 of 200 Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM

It's a metal arm that's located right under the cowl. According to your description that's the one. It might not seem loose as you try to shake it but it is really because vibrations under the hood are much stronger and thus cause the noise
The Following User Says Thank You to mityay For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 200 Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
GR

Sounds like your strut is bad.
Regardless of what the dealer tells you, OEM Altima struts are very weak and have a habit of dying early on our cars.
Replace both units with the KYB GR-2 struts and your problems should go away.
post #8 of 200 Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 PM

mityay-Thank you, man. That was the problem. I think the piece is Nissan's cheap, ugly version of a strut tower brace. I tightnened all the bolts (approx. 15 of them), and no more clunk. I did break one off, but I put it all back together and no clunk. The one I broke was near the middle and had not too much to do, as there were at least 7 left on either side. When I can get a really small vice-grips, I'll screw it down through the bottom and put in another one. Once again, thanks for the info, man. I really appreciate it!!! I wish now that I had gone to the trouble when I had my old 03; 'cause it drove me nuts for 61,000 miles. lol

post #9 of 200 Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM

you are welcome. Glad I could help!
post #10 of 200 Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM
APImotorsport.com

this may sound special...but whats a cowl? i got a clunk in my 05 3.5 and it drives me nuts. but i just thought that was the struts going out.
post #11 of 200 Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I removed the wipers and the “cowl” underneath them. Several things were rattling under there including the bundle of wires clipped into round plastic hangers hung on the firewall. I unclipped the wire bundle and stuffed a 2” length of poly foam backer rod in with the wires at each clip to keep them tight in the clips. I also tighted up a few loose screw bolts and the mounts for the wipers. There is a rubber flap deflector hanging over a hole in the firewall cavity. The clips on it were very inadequate and allowed it to shift and rattle quite a bit too. I cleaned up the flap and the mounting area and used duct tape, from the top and bottom, to help secure it to the frame it clips to.
I put everything back together and so far no rattles. I took it for a test drive last night and my wife drove it to work today and we haven’t heard anything so far.
Hopefully that’s all it was.
Now I just need to get rid of the buzzing noise coming from the passenger side door pillar.
post #12 of 200 Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM

That vent flap on mine was just lying loose in the cavity and I couldn't find anyway to clip it to anything. I think when the car was made they forgot to include the mounting for it and just tossed the flap in there. There really is no way to mount the thing. No place the clips on it will fit, except the two wire bundle clips near it, and they're too close together for the flap to fit both clips. For b.05VQ35-the cowl is the plastic piece that runs all under the wipers beneath the windshield from one side of the car to the other. You have to pop the caps off the wipers arm nuts, then take off the wiper nuts and basically lift off the cowl piece. Be careful with the two end pieces to put them back on correctly, and also try not to lose any of the many little plastic clips that hold the cowl down; and the rubber weatherstrip that fastens to it to keep water from running under it into the engine bay when the hood is closed. Also, don't over tighten the wiper nuts, because if you strip one of those out, you'll have a mess on your hands that can get expensive. For pix of the arrangement go to this site to get a manual. Unfortunately the manual does not show the cross brace that needs tightening, just the cowl pieces for remove and reinstall. Hope this all helps.Nissan Service Manuals

post #13 of 200 Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by froedrick View Post
Hope this all helps.Nissan Service Manuals
I've been trying to figure this out for the last 2 years!
If this is the soltion, then THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Pete

2005 3.5SE (Polished Pewter) • 5AT • Berk WAI • AT Grounding Kit • NWP Vias Delete • Magnaflow Mufflers • Racingline Y-Pipe (cat delete) • KYB GR-2's • Eibach Pro-Kit • Stillen FSB/RSB • SS Brake lines • Hawk HPS Pads • SE-R Tails • AT S5 Grill • 35% Tint • Debadged
My Cardomain!
post #14 of 200 Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Does anyone know if there is a section in the service manual that shows the torque rating for the bolt/bolts that need tightening. I have a 2003 SL
post #15 of 200 Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 PM

The service manual doesn't show anything at all about the cross brace under the cowl. The manual is mostly for the Nissan mechs. and the guys with OBD readers to do diagnostics, etc. As far as real usable mechanical info., it's sorely lacking. Does have some that's good to have, but not what I would want to call a good shop manual.Nissan Service Manuals

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode