How to replace starter on 2.5? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to replace starter on 2.5?

My fiancee has a 2003 2.5SL and the starter is done. I'm planning on doing the work myself - just wondering if anyone has a procedure for this or general instructions on the best way to do it. The new part will be here in 3 hours, so I have that long to figure out the best way to take the old one out. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
GR

This should tell you all you need to know.

Nissan Service Manuals/
#3 Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
Cool - thanks for the link. Now that I have it out, I'm wondering if I diagnosed properly. The symptom is that when the key is turned, there's a machine-gun clicking sound coming from the starter, with no engine-turn. Given the sudden nature of the failure, I'm wondering if perhaps it was just a relay or solenoid. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
David
#4 Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbolton View Post
Cool - thanks for the link. Now that I have it out, I'm wondering if I diagnosed properly. The symptom is that when the key is turned, there's a machine-gun clicking sound coming from the starter, with no engine-turn. Given the sudden nature of the failure, I'm wondering if perhaps it was just a relay or solenoid. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
David
That noise usually indicates a dead battery. I haven't really looked at the starters on the 2.5 but I know a lot of starters nowadays don't really have a solenoid on them like in days past. They use a kind of inertia mechanism to engage the starter gear with the flywheel. I'd have to examine the starter and the circuit to give a better idea of what's wrong.

If I get a chance I'll look through the manual and post what I find.
#5 Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
I was leaning away from the battery, because the lights are all systems go. I have it disconnected (as is procedure when removing a starter) and it reads 12.7V. I'm hooking up to the trickle charger for the time being just to be sure.
#6 Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 PM

(Thread Starter)
As it turns out, you were right on. I took the starter in to exchange and they tested it - it was good. Put it back in, jumped the car, and it started right up. Swapped the battery out for a new one and it's good as new. Lesson learned!

The good news - replacing the starter's not hard at all.
Disconnect the positive battery lead.
3 clamps to remove the tube between the airbox and the throttle body. Undo the 2 clips holding the wiring loom in place.
One is attached to a bracket that holds a cable (throttle cable?). 2 10mm screws to remove the bracket.
1 10mm nut to remove the positive lead to the starter.
1 8mm screw to remove the remaining electrical connector (didn't want to break the plastic connector, so just took out the screw instead).
Top bolt is 19mm, tough to break loose. Bottom bolt is hard to get at, 14mm. Also hard to break loose. This was the hardest part for me. Then just pull it out. If I had to do it again, probably could take it out and replace it in under an hour.

Tools needed - ratchet with extension bars, 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, 19mm sockets, screwdriver (for air tube clamps), optional - mirror and flashlight to help locate bottom bolt, breaker bar with adapter to 3/8 socket (unless you're really strong).

Peace!
#7 Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 PM
The Choc Boy Wonder

^^^ Good Deal...
#8 Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 AM
GR

Glad you got the car up and running again.
Thanks for the write up on the replacement, I'm sure a few 2.5 owners will find it useful.
And at least it was a little cheaper fix than a replacement starter.
#9 Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Long Time Caller

I was going to do mine, b/c my rough start was doing a number on it. But then it started working fine.

Yeah, and machine-gun clicking sound coming from a starter is almost a dead give away to a weak battery on almost any car. The starter needs a lot more juice than your lights and things, and while it is turning, if it doesn't have enough power, it will make that noise.

Congrats on the fix.

2002 Altima 2.5S
1992 NX2000
2003 Buell XB9S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode