Installing remote starter - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Installing remote starter

I need to install a remote starter (well the wife does) on our 2005. Is there anything I need to know before I get this done.????
Normally I would just have the starter function hooked up. I don't like it when they tap into all the other electrical systems of the car. But with all these new cars there are so many security features that cause problems.

'05 2.5S Extra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Firday Misspeller

Well, be prepared to part with one of your chipped keys. People recommend grinding off the teeth so it can't work the locking mech.

In just two days from now,
Tomorrow will be yesterday.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 PM

^^^^???? please explain. I don't understand what you are talking about

'05 2.5S Extra
Old 10-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I love DDEs

Our keys have chips in them... For the remote start function they need to use one of the keys (you can use your vallet key). If I understand the process correctly, our cars won't start unless it is with a chipped key, so the key you give up is stored in a hidden area and pretty much is used to start the car with the remote start function. Then when you get in your car, you insert you regular key and it takes over the car.

2005 2.5s | 18" Motegi DP6 | Eibach Prokit | Stillen lip, RSB | Racingline FSTB, battery tiedown, rear endlinks, F&R MMI | ES Poly bushings | Omnifi DMS1 | JVC KDSH55 | 10" Bazooka | 162sq ft deadener & 9 yds ensolite | Injen CAI | Custom catback to Magnaflow 14289 | 6000K HIDs | Hella Optilux Fogs | Umnitza DDE | 35% tint | VHT tinted tails | Nismo mats | Katzin leather | DupiColor interior
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Smile Remote start

I had remote start installed on my 05 3.5 SE. They do need a key since they have a built in chip. I bought an extra, had all my keys reprogrammed before they installed the remote start. This way I still had 3 keys in case I lost one. The only problem my installer had was finding where they could tap into the
Tach signal. They figured it out and my remote start works fine. My factory fob functions still all work.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM

I went to a place and they told me that a spare key wasnt needed... he said that they could just purchase a chip that could take the place of the key...anybody heard of this....
Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 AM
Proud owner of a '11 IS-F

Erm, I have remote start and I have both keys (valet and normal). No, you do NOT need a key for remote start to work. They make an adapter that will "temporarily" bypass the chip feature, then reactivates it once the car starts. Search around. When you use the key method, they loop it through a wire and it hangs hear your steering wheel (usually tucked away), but you would have to sacrifice a key. Now unless something changed with 2005-2006, then you wont need a key.

XK07 - Programmable Platform#07: Nissan Transponder Override
Firmware: PKN3 3.00
XK07 Programmable Immobilizer Override Interface is preloaded with upgradeable firmware (PKN3) for all late model Nissan & Infiniti vehicles including those with Push-to-Start Ignition systems. XK07 interfaces with the factory CAN BUS to temporarily override the factory immobilizer when remote starting while maintaining the integrity of the manufacturer's anti-theft system when remote start is not in use.
Install Wizard & Compatibility Chart

This is what you do not want to buy

My Ride
2011 Lexus IS-F V8 416HP

Last edited by wildred; 10-16-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Which brand is best when it comes to remote starters (best costumer support, range, features...)?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
3498 cc

any DEI line is good (viper, clifford, python, hornet, etc)

2005 ALTIMA 3.5 SE | LEATHER SPORT · ABS · TCS · A/T
SE-R FRONT/REAR/TAILS/RSB : SIDE SILLS : 35% LLUMAR
PIONEER AVIC-D3 : IPOD : BLUETOOTH : B-QUIET ULTIMATE : CLIFFORD 50.5X
Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Correct. The DEI line is one in the same. Its like HP and Compaq. I happen to have the Viper 791xv. I had it on my Silverado and now on my Nissan. It does well, just don't break or lose the remote. It will set you back a good 65-75 bucks. Its nice though to be notified on an LCD screen which sensor on your car has been triggered.
As far as customer support goes, DEI would rather you have a professional install it. They arent too friendly from what I have seen when it comes down to helping out the weekend mechanic. Also, I believe if it is installed by someone who is not an authorized dealer, they may not accept warranty issues.

My Ride
2011 Lexus IS-F V8 416HP
Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM

That's some good info on the units. I did find out about the key issue, and that just depends on what bypass you use. But the keyless one sounds like the one to use.
I'm really no farther ahead for the install. My biggest problem is finding a shop to do the work. There are only a few in our city and they contradict each other. Just when I thought I had it figured out, the other shop says, no no no, you can't do that.
Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling when they start hacking into my car.
The last few vehicles we had this on, were a bit older and we didn't have these problems.

'05 2.5S Extra
Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM

If you have any doubt about an installer, don't go there...or ask around (in local forums) for people that have gone to the shop before. Make sure they are DEI (or whatever company you pick) certified so that the warranty applies. The only reason I am so adamant about this is because I don't want you to have to go through what I did, which was having the alarm installed, uninstalled, then reinstalled the proper way. Wires shouldn't be hanging or in view, the brain should be tucked away and NOT under the steering wheel column (one of the first places thieves look). Consider adding some mini piezo alarms aka pain generators inside the car, behind the AC vents is a nice place.

My Ride
2011 Lexus IS-F V8 416HP
Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Lil' C

I just recently had a viper 791XV installed. I had to get a transponder key( key with a chip inside). You can find them in your local locksmith shop for about $50 or ebay. however, at the time of programming the keys, it might not work and you'll have to pay the dealership either way. I got lucky on mine, but just though i give you a heads up. Most NISSAN dealerships would charge about $200 for key, cutting, and programing, but it's up to you.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM

Or you can avoid having a key left in your car and get the bypass.

My Ride
2011 Lexus IS-F V8 416HP
Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 AM

I recently got a Viper 5900 installed. Thanks to "wildred", I got the bypass module. I was going to give up a key as that's what the installer told me to. Then I found out there's the bypass module and the installer found it and went with that instead.

The bypass has some safetly features built-in so you can't really drive away the car without the actual key in the fob, so it's still safe. On the other hand, like others have mentioned, having an extra key in the car, I don't feel that great!

So far I'm happy with my install, except the installer couldn't figure it out a way for remote start, the radio comes on automatically. I usually have the face off so that's not a huge concern, but it would be nice if radio stays off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode