OE Hid Ballast Location - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
liljohnny's Avatar
Boomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Guelph,Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
OE Hid Ballast Location

For those members that have factory installed hid's on their cars, how are the ballasts mounted in your cars. I'm pretty sure they go into those pockets located behind the bumper just underneath the headlights but how are they fixed there. Screws, mounting plates, Velcro? Anyone actually know for sure or care to investigate for me?

Thanks
John
__________________
Canucks Rool!
2002 3.5 Ruby
Blacked Out Chrome

Feedback Thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ven...ck-thread.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
They just are just clipped into the backside of the dustcap, at least thats how they are on mine (02, SE).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM
saywat?'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,060
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
^^hmmm how does it clip onto the 6" round dust cap?..pic?
__________________
"Sorry Gramps, My Altima's Nicer Than Yours"

"I would like to apologize in advance for being brutally honest!"



MODS:

- Cargo Net retrofitted in the trunk
- 10w HID Converted Dome Lamp
- 8w HID Converted Door Lamps
- Removed OEM FogLight Covers
- Relocated "Special Edition" badge
- Custom Floor Mats with visible "Special Edition" Logo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
The stock nissan ballast is only like 2" square. It uses 4 tabs that you can pry back to release the ballast. To put it back you just push it past the tabs. I dont have any way to post pictures, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
saywat?'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,060
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5Mainer View Post
The stock nissan ballast is only like 2" square. It uses 4 tabs that you can pry back to release the ballast. To put it back you just push it past the tabs. I dont have any way to post pictures, sorry.

oh ok..wow that's small..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
liljohnny's Avatar
Boomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Guelph,Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5Mainer View Post
They just are just clipped into the backside of the dustcap, at least thats how they are on mine (02, SE).
Thanks but that would be the igniter. I wanted to know where the ballast is hidden and how it's kept in place.

Mainer, what tabs are you speaking about and where are they located? In that little cubby under the headlights?

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 PM
saywat?'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,060
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
then my guess would be that the ballast is located in a little designated area below the headlights.btw, the igniter seperate from the ballast is the old design right?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 PM
NipsirC04's Avatar
Bakersfield's Finest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield, Cali
Posts: 776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 4 reviews
The ballast I think is tucked underneath the headlight in a space big enough for the ballast and is held in place by three screws. that is the oem location and I think all our altimas have this space beneath the headlight but behind the bumper. Mine had it and I didn't initially have oem hid but when I did get them thats where I put my ballast at.
__________________
2004 Altima 2.5 S Sheer Silver
l Blacked-Out Window Trim l Leather Kit l V-LEDS Interior Lights l
RedLine E-Brake Boot l Carbon Fiber Engine Cover l
RL Battery Tie-down, Rear Endlinks, MMI l
Pro-Kit Front Nismo Rear Springs l F&R SE-R Sway Bars l Stillen Classic Lip l
Goodridge Brakelines lCattman B-Pipe l SE-R Mufflers l TSW Nurburgring 20x8.5
w/ Falken 245/35-20 FK452

Coming Soon Due to Rear End Hit and Run 5/19/12:
Eracings Rear Spoiler, SE-R Tails & Rear Bumper, Paintjob, Morimoto D2S Retrofit

Daily Beater:[/U][/B]
1986 2WD Toyota Pickup Aka "Betsy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 AM
liljohnny's Avatar
Boomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Guelph,Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
then my guess would be that the ballast is located in a little designated area below the headlights.btw, the igniter seperate from the ballast is the old design right?.
I think they were using that Matsushita Gen II design right up till the 4th gen Alties. I'm sure the 07's and up are using the gen III Matsu's...like the Maxima's have been using for a while.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 AM
liljohnny's Avatar
Boomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Guelph,Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipsirC04 View Post
The ballast I think is tucked underneath the headlight in a space big enough for the ballast and is held in place by three screws. that is the oem location and I think all our altimas have this space beneath the headlight but behind the bumper. Mine had it and I didn't initially have oem hid but when I did get them thats where I put my ballast at.
How do you keep them in place? That small space is too cramped to get a screwdriver or screws in there. That's why I was hoping someone with OE hid's might know how it's done from the factory...

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
saywat?'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,060
Thanks: 7
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
maybe u gotta remove the headlight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Caguas, PR
Posts: 730
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohnny View Post
For those members that have factory installed hid's on their cars, how are the ballasts mounted in your cars. I'm pretty sure they go into those pockets located behind the bumper just underneath the headlights but how are they fixed there. Screws, mounting plates, Velcro? Anyone actually know for sure or care to investigate for me?
Thanks
John
When you remove the bumper cover it is under the headlight. post your email
or mail me to arturo_moralesaddtotoyotapr.com and I will email you a picture.
I installed OEM HID last Sunday so I'm hot in this theme. Problem is that my laptops jhard disk when kaput and I cannot access the web from home and @ work big brother watches me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM
liljohnny's Avatar
Boomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Guelph,Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzan300ZX View Post
When you remove the bumper cover it is under the headlight. post your email
or mail me to arturo_moralesaddtotoyotapr.com and I will email you a picture.
I installed OEM HID last Sunday so I'm hot in this theme. Problem is that my laptops jhard disk when kaput and I cannot access the web from home and @ work big brother watches me.
I've had my bumper off numerous times. I know where that little pocket is under the headlight behind the bumper. What I want to know is does it just lay in that little pocket or is there some way of fixing it in there? I have OE ballasts and they have mounting hole in them for what looks like screws of some type. That's what I want to know, not where it placed but rather how it's fixed in place. PM me if you have pics of your install, I'd love to see them.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Caguas, PR
Posts: 730
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohnny View Post
I've had my bumper off numerous times. I know where that little pocket is under the headlight behind the bumper. What I want to know is does it just lay in that little pocket or is there some way of fixing it in there? I have OE ballasts and they have mounting hole in them for what looks like screws of some type. That's what I want to know, not where it placed but rather how it's fixed in place. PM me if you have pics of your install, I'd love to see them.

John
Three screws hold it, I didn't had them and used three self drilling ones I use to hang things on cement walls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
liljohnny's Avatar
Boomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Guelph,Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzan300ZX View Post
Three screws hold it, I didn't had them and used three self drilling ones I use to hang things on cement walls
Did you screw them in from underneath the little pocket? It's too small to get i there any other way than from underneath...no?

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.