'05 Won't Shift Out of Park??? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry '05 Won't Shift Out of Park???

a little background because I THINK this could all be related...

Dome light has been out for a few weeks (2nd time it's burned out in the last few months, which is kinda odd) and I finally got around to replacing it last night. Pulled the bulb and it was fine, put a new one in and no change. Hmmm. Ok, so I went to turn on the reading lights and they don't work either. They had been working the whole time the dome light was out though. I've also had a brake light out for a few weeks, so I got to replace it. Pull the bulb and it looks fine...replace it with a new one and still doesn't work. Ok, wtf?

Then my wife goes to backout this morning and the lockout feature isn't kicking when you put your foot on the brake, so you have to override it with the slot next to the shifter just to get in and out of park or reverse.

Any thoughts????

The car is under extended warranty (has 52k miles). Just thought I'd ask to see if anything similar has happened to anybody else before I call the dealership.

Thanks!

2005 Altima 3.5SE Auto
White, side skirts, splash guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 PM

i had the same issue, your fuses are blown. i forget whi fuse it is but i believe its the "battery saver" fuse under the wheel where the doors are, fuse box is there

some other fuses might be out so check each one. its the number 10 fuses that are blown, red kind.

trust me i freaked when it happened but simple fuse change fixed all that, and i also had blown my dome light and when tried replacing it shorted out the system, changed fuses and all good
#3 Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
Cool...I was hoping it might be a fuse. I looked at the panel but didn't see one with a label that might be leading to my problem. I'll look for "battery saver"...

thanks man

2005 Altima 3.5SE Auto
White, side skirts, splash guards
#4 Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Shaving My Shoulders

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
If it isn't the fuse, the brake lights may not be working. The Shift-lock mechanism is tied in with them.

Until you get it fixed, you can still use the shift-lock release to get it into gear:

|2005 3.5SE|HEAVILY MODDED |
#5 Old 04-19-2008, 05:47 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks...we used the shift lock to drive it for a day.

The battery saver fuse WAS burned. I replaced it and the reading lights work. The shifter still wouldn't moved thru park or reverse though. Drove it a little more and when I got home it WOULD go thru park or reverse. WTF?

and the dome light and left brake light still won't work, even with new bulbs...

I pulled every fuse and check them and none of the others are bad.

I'm stumped...outside of a wiring problem, what else might it be?

Based on the previous services and repairs I've had done under warranty, I have ZERO confidence in them fixing this. They've failed twice at fixing a dash rattle that has been there since mile 1, including trying to charge me $250 to fix it the last time it was in (not covered under extended warranty). Pricks...
#6 Old 04-19-2008, 06:28 AM

check the fuses in the engine bay, but usually non em associate with anything on the inside. its gotta be the fuse, i had the same issue and replaced 2 fuses and i was on my way, check again with a flash light, sometimes its hard to see if they are blown or not
#7 Old 04-19-2008, 06:43 AM

(Thread Starter)
I went thru every fuse with a light. What other fuse could it be specifically??

Just to be clear, I CAN shift from park now after changing out the battery saver fuse. But still no dome of left taillight, even though those bulbs are fine...
#8 Old 04-19-2008, 07:03 AM

well you have another option, change every single red fuse in the panel, blue 15's should be ok, non of them control the lights

thats option 1

option 2 is checking the engine fuses but i highly doubt its any of them, but if its not the fuses in the cabin then i dont know

but honestly i though i have checked all fuses in the cabin before and i didnt i would always forgot one or 2 simply because i was in a hurry trying to get things running.

i dont know what else that can be done
#9 Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb

Good idea...I'll swap out all the 10's one at a time with a known to be good fuse and see if the dome light ever comes on.

I'll check under the hood too...

thanks man...
#10 Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 PM
NOTM - Feb 2010

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
did u get this fixed? i had the same issue couple weeks ago when i was replacing my dome light with a led one. all interior lights were out as well as not being able to shift. i think i replaced #21 10 amp fuse inside the car and everything was fine. i dont know why you got the shifting back, but domelights are still not working..

AEM CAI / Aerospeed XCS / NWP Spacers / Custom Y-Pipe / Raactive CF Exhaust + 3 inch piping / 2*Timing Advance / S5 Grill / M3 Roof Spoiler / 6000k Low / 6000k Fog / Oznium Angel Eyes / Tein S-Tech / Racingline FSTB / Nismo-Rays A34 / 235/35/19 Dunlop SP Sport MAXX / RTP Rotors / PBR Pads / SS lines / Redline Tuning Quicklift / LED Lighting
2006 SER - SOLD
2013 EVO X GSR
#11 Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2max View Post
did u get this fixed? i had the same issue couple weeks ago when i was replacing my dome light with a led one. all interior lights were out as well as not being able to shift. i think i replaced #21 10 amp fuse inside the car and everything was fine. i dont know why you got the shifting back, but domelights are still not working..
Not yet...I didn't get to mess with it Sunday. Will look at it tonight.

Yep, the dome light issue started about a month ago and the shifter problem just started a few days ago.
#12 Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 AM

hey fellas...ive been havin same problem too. its an 05 nissan as well...i just started having problem wit it bout 2 months ago....but it was off an on. it works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt ...it sucks cus i took it to the dealer but when i got there they checked it and it was workin fine...and they said they couldnt do anything at the moment cus it was workin there and then.

they told me it will be better to bring it when its not workin....wtf? lol

he said so its easier for them to find the problem....but if you guys find a way to fix it let me kno too plz...cus i dont wana have to pay the dealer. all my lights work fine...dome light is fine too...but ill check out the fuses too.

thanks all
#13 Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb

If you're just having the shifter issue, it's probably the same fuse that was out for me. Do your reading lights work??
#14 Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM

yea all the interioir lights work...brake lights also, lights are all good. its just the shifter man...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
#15 Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Baba-T

Great Stuff Forum-ers....LOL
This was the fix to my problem.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode