LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 Altima 3.5 Coolant fill ???

Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

My car has 130k miles on it.... I finally want to get my a$$ in gear and flush the coolant.

Service manual says to use a vacuum tool to refill the coolant, which I don't have.

Is there any other way to refill the coolant... Like a air-release valve on the engine or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 AM

You meaning to say that you never had the coolent flush and the car has 130,000MILES on it, you Kidding me RighT?

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/auto-detailing/270854-how-my-car-looks-after-6-years-8-months.html
#3 Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertFox1942 View Post
You meaning to say that you never had the coolent flush and the car has 130,000MILES on it, you Kidding me RighT?
Hahaha, NOPE, I havent gotten a chance to... I've been living in an apartment with NO HOSE... and Didn't want the service station doing it for $70 ripoff. Wanted to do it myself.

Just bought a house and have a driveway and a hose now, so want to get this done now.

Iv'e done this on other cars and there was usually a cap to release the air when the coolant is filled... Service manual says to use a vaccuum system... Need to know how to so this on my own
#4 Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 PM
20s because size matters

Your a lil late, but I guess if you have not had a problem then you are fine. I took pics when I did mine and been meaning to do a write-up, but can't find my cord to upload the pics.

First of all: coolant is hot, don't get burned.
Drain the coolant at the bottom of the radiator. Careful with the plug, it is plastic and can cross thread or strip easily.

Refill with distilled water and let the car run and get up to temp. Drain and refill till you have nothing but clean water come out.

The cooling system hod a bit over 2 gallons. So when you do the final refill add cooant to the radiator. Add 1 gallon. Run and let it mix.

You could always test you mix afterand make sure you have a 50/50 mix.

Now I switched to Toyota red. If you do something like that then you have to clean out the overfill bottle.

I will someday do a much better right up. Hope this can help you till then.
#5 Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM

get the air out

I just flushed out the cooling system on my 02 3.5SE. After you fill the radiator you need to "burp" the system. Without the vac setup you just have to keep the reservoir filled with 50/50 mix and let the engine warm up and cool off a few times. Keep the heater on to let the coolant flow through the core. You will hear the water running through the heater if there is still air in the system (I had to raise the engine RPM to about 1200-1500 to hear it).
#6 Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks ALL for the replies.... I flushed the collant and added new... Seemed to go ok....

Next I have to take off my old slotted/cross drilled rotors and put my new ones on with new brakes. I am going back to stock on this car. Also putting my original springs back on.

So if anyone needs eibach sportlines, slotted/drilled rotors, or 19" rims,, and close to NJ, let me know...
The rotors need to be cut, the springs are used, but good... And one of the rims has a crack (not outside finish, but inside facing car) and doesnt hold air... Would need to be fixed/replaced.

mark@pcfx.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode