Replaced Head Gasket now won't Start - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replaced Head Gasket now won't Start

Well it finally happened 100700 miles and the head gasket blew. Jump forward in time 3 weeks. I finished installing the head gasket and got the engine back in and now it won't start.

Replaced the Cam and Crank sensors.

Engine turns over but wont start. I tried the old way of checking for spark (Pull the plug and ground it and watch) there doesn't seem to be a spark.

I am at a lose here. I have searched the forums for about 6 hours and I can't find anything like this.

After you pull the engine is there any relearning that needs done beside the Throttle close position

2002 Alti 2.5l
No Mods
No SES light and no stored codes(could be cause the engine was out for 2 weeks)

Thanks.

Last edited by noctumluvr; 08-24-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 AM

you might have to retard or progress the cams. We ran into the same problem on my project car and after retarding it a little bit she fired right up.
#3 Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Can you give me a description of how to do that. I am mechanically inclinded but I have never done that before.

Do I slip the timing chain a tooth or two?
#4 Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
bump
#5 Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 PM

Double check your timing marks both on the cams and the crank if it's off by a tooth the sensors want let the spark plugs fire.
#6 Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
Double checked the timing marks. The marks on the chain are off by 5 links but the marks on the cams look like the picture in the service manual. I am going to check the lobes to make sure that they are in the closed position for Cylinder #1. If that is off I will realign the Marks. I hope that isn't it cause now the engine will have to come back out. (that was a chore the first time.) I swear that all of it was lined up when I put it together. I can't see the crank mark on the chain right now but i suspect that it is also 5 links off which would make the whole thing right. The mark on the pulley is set at TDC.
#7 Old 08-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Never go by the marks on he chain because if you reused your old chain and cam gears they are slightly warn and when you go to put tension on the chain it will knock everything out.
#8 Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
I pulled the cover and the cams for the intake side are flush with the head but the exhaust side seem to be raised about two links. My understanding of the manual is that they should both be flush. If thats right is there a way to turn that cam without removing the engine again?
#9 Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 AM

Yeah there should be a master link in the chain somewhere. Remove the clip that holds it and then let the chain go slack. adjust your cam and then place your chain on it. You might also be able to remove the cam gear from the actual cams you might have to take both off be careful they are keyed then rotate your cams to the proper spot. I don't think you had to remove the engine unless it just made things easier.
#10 Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
Got it to cough today. I think the cam is still off a bit. The exhaust cam was level but the intake was raised just a bit off the head surface. It back fired once or twice. I am going to retard the exhaust one link and try again. I hope I get it soon I am about to run out of RTV sealant.
#11 Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well finally got the timing right and she still wont fire. I went to the Zone and got some UV die for the radiator just to check for leaks. After cranking on it for a bit there is UV colored water in the #3 cylinder. Which means all this work was for nothing. I didn't see a crack when I looked but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. The head could be warped. I think I will try to pull some cash out of my butt and buy and engine from around here or off ebay. In the mean time I guess the engine has to come back out and I can take the head to work and check for Flatness. If thats it I can have it machined. I really liked this car till this all started now I don't know if I will ever by from Nissan again.

Pre-cat issues, butterfly valve screws, head gaskets that blow by 100,000 miles, ECU that need reprogramming. I work for a 1st Tier supplier to Toyota. They would have my a$$ if this many issues happened on one car and we did nothing about it. Maybe its just worn on me and made me mad. But the 2002's should have been recalled for fatal mechanical issues. I never even beat on the thing its my daily driver for rainy days.

Let me get down off the soap box now. I guess all I can do is fix it or get rid of it.

Thanks to those that helped I will be back once I figure out what I am going to do.
#12 Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well I finally got the head back from the shop. It was warped. They machined it crack checked it and rebuilt the thing all to a tune of around $ 250. I busted my a$$ and got it back together and back in the car. Tried to start it and no love. I may have missed something so I will check it out tomorrow. I still have just about had it with this car. Maybe once its running I will tried it in.
#13 Old 12-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Ну Погоди!!!!

check and make sure u didnt accidently stuck the worng sensor in, alot of people confuse the cam and crankshaft sensors.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black | Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D |Fibre Customs EyeLids | PIAA White Fogs | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads|CATTMAN RSB|Ebay FSTB|VIAS Block Plate| OEM Spoiler|NWP Engeneering Intake Spacers (not yet installed)| 07 350z rims(needs tires)
>>>>>INFINITIHELP.COM and NISSANHELP.COM FREE MANUALS, TECH HELP AND MORE<<<<<
#14 Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
slowly losing my sanity..

^what are you talking about? cam and crank sensor are the exact same part number at autozone. he replaced both. how can you get it wrong?

2008 G37S 6MT Amethyst Graphite

Last edited by phreekee25; 12-20-2008 at 11:20 PM.
#15 Old 12-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Ну Погоди!!!!

no i meant when he installed them he might have put them in the wrong places

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black | Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D |Fibre Customs EyeLids | PIAA White Fogs | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads|CATTMAN RSB|Ebay FSTB|VIAS Block Plate| OEM Spoiler|NWP Engeneering Intake Spacers (not yet installed)| 07 350z rims(needs tires)
>>>>>INFINITIHELP.COM and NISSANHELP.COM FREE MANUALS, TECH HELP AND MORE<<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode