2002 Altima 2.5s Floor Rust Hole - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy 2002 Altima 2.5s Floor Rust Hole

My question is, does anyone have similar issues, I kept feeling a draft and road noise, I ended up pulling up the carpet, and found a football sized rust hole, this car is not old. I suspect a defect from the manuf. Can someone help me with some advice, either legal or civil going after nissan for poor putting together a car? Whats funny the rest of the car is fine except for this one spot. This car has 116k miles, on its 2nd motor, has had quite a bit of work done to this car. I feel the manuf, needs to check this out, I could understand if the car was 15 years old and rusting but not 6 yrs old and already has a hole large enough you can put your foot through the hole. I will gladly show pictures of the rust hole to anyone who wants to see this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Who wants a body massage?

Check your vehicle warranty manual - the warranty for rust and corrosion is pretty long, I think it's 10 years/unlimited miles. If so, take it to a dealer and start the warranty process.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 AM

JM I found two rust holes under the floor of my 02 Altima, just a few weeks ago in fact. Like you I find this highly unusual and unacceptable for a 6 year old car, so I went to see the dealer. They told me the warranty for perforation is 5 years so I had no recourse. I then called Nissan and they told me the same thing. The estimate to repair the holes is around 2g.

Since the car is still fairly recent I decided to dig a little deeper and it would appear that this is a common problem on 02 and 03 Altimas. Altima Rust Shocker! - NissanForums.com :: Nissan Forum

My next course of action is to call Nissan back and escalate my complaint. I will send letters to car magazines and other media sources to try and shed some light on the situation, and I urge you, and anyone else you contact with this problem, to do the same. It seems clear that this is a design flaw and the manufacturer should be held accountable, and the more people that come forward with complaints, the better our chances are. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 AM

ever take your cars to the beach? There has to be a catalyst that has caused your rust issues.

2002 Altima 3.5se, Bose, 5spd manual, Nismo Cat Back Exhaust, Nismo cold air intake, swaybars, 17' 350z rims, Z Falken Tires, se-r front end, side skirts, 10% tint all around, brushed aluminum dash, Nismo mats, Nismo pedals.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3155954
Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 AM

I live in Quebec, I drive through 6 months of salt slush per year, as I have with every other car I have ever owned. There's plenty of catalyst here, but for a floor to rust through in 6 years is unreasonable even in this climate. If I were alone then I could accept that maybe something went wrong in my case but this is a big issue with this generation of Altima.

Apparently there is a hollow section in the floor under the passenger and driver's seats which allows moisture to collect over the years and causes premature rusting. In my mind this constitutes a design flaw and should be rectified by the manufacture as a show of good faith.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Supra Fan/Altima Driver

shouldve gotten the procoat unit. LOL!

But seriously, read through the warranty in the manual. Might find an answer there.

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_archer_69 View Post
I love women that are into cars. Unless they are ugly. Then I don't give a shit.

Last edited by vsupra123; 09-24-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM

WELL, since this is so commmon, im switching back to buying an american made car, like a bonneville again, screw the japs and their trash, this is the 2nd nissan that has been crap, what a waste of my hard earned money to just go out and pay cash for a rust bucket, This car gets a bath twice a week, rare if its driven in the winter time. I hope nissan goes out of business! Everyone really needs to check their cars out, if their not rusting down below i bet anything if you up your carpet inside i bet anything you will find rust holes in the pans.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Just posted one pic in my profile of the rust hole.

Last edited by JM50266; 09-30-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: picture post of rust hole
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Ass slider

My rear driver side door has a small rust spot along the window trip area. I have no idea how the hell it got there but if my door falls off, Nissan is going to be labeled as garbage...just like how I label saturns.

Mods:
| there's a tube on the throttle body | gots some fogs too | got some sounds | HIDzzz | some metal thingy | Nismo exhaust | sport grill | NIZMO WHEELZ /Stikcy as shit tires | Fck the prop rod | header | JIHAD MIRRORS | some metal bar | LEDS | DROPed | some rubber thing | pulled out a chunk of metal | CALIPER PAINT | more metal rods |

Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Ah. I do <3 Ale.

sand an paint? ohhhhh you could rinolinings the underside of your car!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
04-05 Pedal Insert

Have you guys not noticed How unbelievably thin and shitty the metal is on the o2

*Bumper Plugs
Garage:
* 91 MR2 31K miles 4 Sale
*12 3.5 SR w/Tractor Transmission
*12 Quest SL
Old 10-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Who wants a body massage?

Man, I'm glad I've never driven my Altima in salt. I'll continue to let my '85 Caprice take the abuse, as it only gets holes in the body panels, not the floor.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Im wondering, do all altimas have that black rubber stuff on the underbody???
That should of prevented this from happening.

05 Altima 2.5s
6000k HIDs Lows+Fogs | Berk V2 Intake | Ground Kit | Eyelids | Front Lip | Blacked Out Trim | LED/Cold Cathode Interior/Exterior Lighting | Puddle Lights | GTR Style Tail Lights | RTP Slotted Rotors-Axxis Pads | LED Parking+License Plate Lights | LED Headlight DRL | UAE "Jihad" Folding Mirrors | M3 Lip Spoiler | Black Roof | Eibach ProKit | S5 Grill | Racingline MMI | Black Emblem | Tints | Pioneer Avic F700BT | SR*S 4-1 Header | Greddy Evo II Exhaust
Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM
04-05 Pedal Insert

Mine was bare thin tin. I sprayed the entire under side with rubberized undercoating when it was new

*Bumper Plugs
Garage:
* 91 MR2 31K miles 4 Sale
*12 3.5 SR w/Tractor Transmission
*12 Quest SL
Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
Mine was bare thin tin. I sprayed the entire under side with rubberized undercoating when it was new
Mine came with it though.
Maybe 05+ altimas have it.

05 Altima 2.5s
6000k HIDs Lows+Fogs | Berk V2 Intake | Ground Kit | Eyelids | Front Lip | Blacked Out Trim | LED/Cold Cathode Interior/Exterior Lighting | Puddle Lights | GTR Style Tail Lights | RTP Slotted Rotors-Axxis Pads | LED Parking+License Plate Lights | LED Headlight DRL | UAE "Jihad" Folding Mirrors | M3 Lip Spoiler | Black Roof | Eibach ProKit | S5 Grill | Racingline MMI | Black Emblem | Tints | Pioneer Avic F700BT | SR*S 4-1 Header | Greddy Evo II Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode