HELP! Loud buzzing/grinding noise when accelerating - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM

HELP! Loud buzzing/grinding noise when accelerating

i'd love to get some opinions of forum members in diagnosing my car before taking it in to the shop. i'm definitely no car expert and this forum has provided so much useful information!

some info about the car...

2002 nissan altima 2.5 sl
about 96,000 miles on it
i'm the only owner
recently had sway bar links replaced
the transmission was replaced once before (maybe 1-2 years ago.. i have to check)

problem..

i've noticed that my car has been making a loud noise when accelerating and it seems to be more prevalent when going uphill. my sister said kinda sounded like the buzzing of an electric shaver combined with loud engine roar. it's loud enough since people walking on the street sometimes turn to stare at my car. it seems like the car is a little sluggish when accelerating, but nothing that is too noticeable.

i'm just concerned that the noise is a warning to something that might further be damaging my car.

thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Don't know, but this may be of help.Nissan Service Manuals
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm555 View Post
i'd love to get some opinions of forum members in diagnosing my car before taking it in to the shop. i'm definitely no car expert and this forum has provided so much useful information!

some info about the car...

2002 nissan altima 2.5 sl
about 96,000 miles on it
i'm the only owner
recently had sway bar links replaced
the transmission was replaced once before (maybe 1-2 years ago.. i have to check)

problem..

i've noticed that my car has been making a loud noise when accelerating and it seems to be more prevalent when going uphill. my sister said kinda sounded like the buzzing of an electric shaver combined with loud engine roar. it's loud enough since people walking on the street sometimes turn to stare at my car. it seems like the car is a little sluggish when accelerating, but nothing that is too noticeable.

i'm just concerned that the noise is a warning to something that might further be damaging my car.

thanks for your time!
How did you solve the problem? I seem to have the same problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

uh bumped an old thread, but does it sound like a loud clicking noise, even at idle? if it's doing it at idle too, it may be the oil. it would be the suction not being able to suck any oil into the necessary places.
18 x 8 350z wheels on 225/45R18 Yokohama YK520's -Eibach Pro-Kit -Magnaflow mufflers/no resonator -15% tint -S2 Grille -Momo shift knob -Injen CAI -12" Orion sub - NWP Vias Blockoff - V-LED Interior Swap - Bt2580 Footwell Lights - Bt2580 Under-hood Lights - Custom LED Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
Dont let me influence you when i say buy them. They are well worth the money. Trust me, im a Jew (i really am lol)
Old 07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
SHIFT_excitement

Ses?

Injen CAI, Unorthodox crank pulley, VIAS delete, B&M short shifter, APR front strut bar, OBX headers, NISMO Y-pipe, Straight pipe to Magnaflow mufflers, Wilwood BBK, NGK plugs.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordShadow View Post
uh bumped an old thread, but does it sound like a loud clicking noise, even at idle? if it's doing it at idle too, it may be the oil. it would be the suction not being able to suck any oil into the necessary places.
No. Its not a clicking noise. There is no noise at idle. Only when I accelerate from 0 (after stopping) the engine makes a roaring noise. The noise is prominent only at low speeds (probably on the first 2 gears) and when the car crosses 15-20 mph, the noise goes away. The noise is more pronounced when going uphill.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

gear grinding maybe?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Mine was oding this last week between 2500 and 3500 rpm. turned out to be a clamp of some sort on the precat right near the flex pipe. 32 dollars ath e delaership to weld it no more sound. Can't beleive it was so cheap and the fixed it in under 30mins. +1 for my dealer.
Aparently I also have dyslexia screw it I'm not fixing the whole post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.