The Nissan Club banner

How long is the warranty for pre-cat failures?

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  sptt144 
#1 · (Edited)
Should I sell my 2003 Altima with 61K miles?

Hi,
Searching around this forum, I see the pre-cat failure is covered until 8years/80k. Let's say that the engine gets damaged as a result of pre-cat failures, will the engine replacement be covered too?

I got the ECM, rear suspension and exhaust/pre-cat recall done a few weeks ago. Now, should I just sell the Altima now? I haven't had any problems regarding oil consumption.

2003 Altima 2.5s
61k Miles
2nd Owner

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Heard about some getting the engine replaced for free under the warranty if pre-cat fails and is sucked into the motor.

I am looking for a way around the problem altogether. If anyone can help. I have a 2002 Altima 2.5L. I live in California (tough emission control center), and am trying to find out if there is a way to place a header on the car and place a catalytic converter under the car. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Heard about some getting the engine replaced for free under the warranty if pre-cat fails and is sucked into the motor.

I am looking for a way around the problem altogether. If anyone can ehelp. I have a 2002 Altima 2.5L. I live in California (tough emission control center), and am trying to find out if there is a way to place a header on the car and place a catalytic converter under the car. Any suggestions?

I have a thread titled "Precatalytic Disaster" on 3-8-09. I have an 03 altima 2.5 s with 98,000 that I just purchased and I, too, am worried about engine failure. Check the thread because there was some interesting advice although I'm leaning toward replacing the precat just for piece of mind.

#4 ·
Hi,
Searching around this forum, I see the pre-cat failure is covered until 8years/80k. Let's say that the engine gets damaged as a result of pre-cat failures, will the engine replacement be covered too?

I got the ECM, rear suspension and exhaust/pre-cat recall done a few weeks ago. Now, should I just sell the Altima now? I haven't had any problems regarding oil consumption.

2003 Altima 2.5s
61k Miles
2nd Owner

Thanks in advance.
I have an 03 altima and I was wondering what was done during the exhaust recall repair. Was a shield added to the precat or did you get a new precat? Because if you did get a new precat then I would think your car would be good to go for a lot more miles.

#10 ·
not sure about the warranty i think if its over 5 years old they dont cover it. my advice buy a header. 250 header is way cheaper than a motor! haha

#13 · (Edited)
It's probably your EGR valve pintle getting stuck which is caused by precat material falling apart and getting into the pintle sleeve. Replaced my precat (which was jussssst out of warranty and the part is proprietary to Nissan and $$$) and then a few months later the SES light popped back on. Everything is a job to do in this car. Check this out:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...n-2-5-3-5/335498-altima-3-5-egr-location.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.