How long is the warranty for pre-cat failures? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
tennisfan20 tennisfan20 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Should I sell my 2003 Altima with 61K miles?

Hi,
Searching around this forum, I see the pre-cat failure is covered until 8years/80k. Let's say that the engine gets damaged as a result of pre-cat failures, will the engine replacement be covered too?

I got the ECM, rear suspension and exhaust/pre-cat recall done a few weeks ago. Now, should I just sell the Altima now? I haven't had any problems regarding oil consumption.

2003 Altima 2.5s
61k Miles
2nd Owner

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tennisfan20; 03-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Q- Q- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Heard about some getting the engine replaced for free under the warranty if pre-cat fails and is sucked into the motor.

I am looking for a way around the problem altogether. If anyone can help. I have a 2002 Altima 2.5L. I live in California (tough emission control center), and am trying to find out if there is a way to place a header on the car and place a catalytic converter under the car. Any suggestions?
  #3  
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 AM
kmpdd kmpdd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q- View Post
Heard about some getting the engine replaced for free under the warranty if pre-cat fails and is sucked into the motor.

I am looking for a way around the problem altogether. If anyone can ehelp. I have a 2002 Altima 2.5L. I live in California (tough emission control center), and am trying to find out if there is a way to place a header on the car and place a catalytic converter under the car. Any suggestions?

I have a thread titled "Precatalytic Disaster" on 3-8-09. I have an 03 altima 2.5 s with 98,000 that I just purchased and I, too, am worried about engine failure. Check the thread because there was some interesting advice although I'm leaning toward replacing the precat just for piece of mind.
  #4  
Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 AM
kmpdd kmpdd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan20 View Post
Hi,
Searching around this forum, I see the pre-cat failure is covered until 8years/80k. Let's say that the engine gets damaged as a result of pre-cat failures, will the engine replacement be covered too?

I got the ECM, rear suspension and exhaust/pre-cat recall done a few weeks ago. Now, should I just sell the Altima now? I haven't had any problems regarding oil consumption.

2003 Altima 2.5s
61k Miles
2nd Owner

Thanks in advance.
I have an 03 altima and I was wondering what was done during the exhaust recall repair. Was a shield added to the precat or did you get a new precat? Because if you did get a new precat then I would think your car would be good to go for a lot more miles.
  #5  
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Q- Q- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpdd View Post
I have a thread titled "Precatalytic Disaster" on 3-8-09. I have an 03 altima 2.5 s with 98,000 that I just purchased and I, too, am worried about engine failure. Check the thread because there was some interesting advice although I'm leaning toward replacing the precat just for piece of mind.
Thanks I will look into the thread.
  #6  
Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
tennisfan20 tennisfan20 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpdd View Post
I have an 03 altima and I was wondering what was done during the exhaust recall repair. Was a shield added to the precat or did you get a new precat? Because if you did get a new precat then I would think your car would be good to go for a lot more miles.
They just added a shield I think. It's deceptively listed under the exhaust pipe recall...
  #7  
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 AM
AceCombat AceCombat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
I had oil consumption issues with my 03 and it took a little screaming but the dealer finally put a new 2007 engine in my car and linked it to precat failure under the emmision warranty.
  #8  
Old 04-02-2009, 01:23 AM
rondhol rondhol is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
How did you get new engine? How bad is the oil consumption before they decide to give you a new engine?
  #9  
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 AM
04blackspecv 04blackspecv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
how long is the emission warranty on nissan?? i have a 2004 spec v and purchased it in 2007 im going through hell with the p0420 trouble code and having same issues with getting car covered under precat warranty coverage??
  #10  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM
froggysquasher froggysquasher is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
iTrader: 2 reviews
not sure about the warranty i think if its over 5 years old they dont cover it. my advice buy a header. 250 header is way cheaper than a motor! haha




BC coilovers:Aem cold air intake: Rota Grids 18" staggered: custom painted taillights:
custom black interior:custom gauges:Pioneer avh-x5500bhs with backup camera: tsudo exhaust:
Custom led sideview mirrors: ddm hid kit in headlights and fogs: stillen lip: active tuning grill: Debadged:
13 % tint: 3m black vinyl roof:Slotted rotors: stillen front lip: slotted rotors
  #11  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM
halbbd01 halbbd01 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
I believe it's an 8yr/80,000 federally mandated warranty for emissions that covers the precat failure.
  #12  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:18 PM
DARKO454 DARKO454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
hey guys i re tighten the intake manifold but it keeps on lowering its rpm to about 200, its code is P0174 systemto lean bank 2.i have already replaced the flow meter, could that be a problem?
  #13  
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 AM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
It's probably your EGR valve pintle getting stuck which is caused by precat material falling apart and getting into the pintle sleeve. Replaced my precat (which was jussssst out of warranty and the part is proprietary to Nissan and $$$) and then a few months later the SES light popped back on. Everything is a job to do in this car. Check this out:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...-location.html

Last edited by sptt144; 06-26-2013 at 06:39 AM.
  #14  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Nissan-MasterTech Nissan-MasterTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 74 Times in 38 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
It's probably your EGR valve pintle getting stuck which is caused by precat material falling apart and getting into the pintle sleeve. Replaced my precat (which was jussssst out of warranty and the part is proprietary to Nissan and $$$) and then a few months later the SES light popped back on. Everything is a job to do in this car. Check this out:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...-location.html
The 02-06 Altima with the 2.5 don't have an EGR valve.
  #15  
Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 AM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Yep...my bad. Didn't check the engine size as I thought I was in SEr forum only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


<

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome