What WIX has to say about using longer 51356 on 3.5 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What WIX has to say about using longer 51356 on 3.5

I started a thread recently about using the longer WIX 51356 (Napa gold 1356) in place of the filter that is suppose to be used on the 3.5 (51365). I know that many have said this is fine and that there are no problems, but I was on their site and decided to send WIX an email, out of curiosity sake, to see why they don't recommend that filter for our cars.

The part of the response that is interesting is this:

"51356 has a different base plate and may bottom out on your Base before the Gasket has a chance to seal. All the dimensions look the same but be aware that if you use a Filter other then what is recommended for your vehicle there will be no warranty should you have problems with it. "

Obviously he is just covering the company with the bit on warranty, but has anyone ever had this problem with the plate bottoming out before the gasket seals?? And if it didn't seal I would assume it would be pretty obvious (oil leaking out of it). Anyone have both of them to look carefully at the base plate to see if it is actually different??

Just thought I would share what I found out and see what the forum has to say about it.

So far: tint (20% back and 35% front sides), calipers painted red, active tuning aux input kit

To come: WAI, cat-back, pro-kit (not sure about the order yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Interesting response back from WIX on this issue. If you look at the WIX filter application for the 3.5 VQ, it shows that the Murano and Pathfinder use the longer filter. Also, the 2.5L uses the longer filter. So is the mounting base on all of these cars really different than what's on a 3.5L Altima VQ engine? I wouldn't think so, as I'm sure all the VQs probably use the same oil cooler that the oil filter mounts to. You could verify that by calling a Nissan dealer and seeing if the part number for the oil cooler is the same for an Altima vs a Murano of Pathfider of the same year with the 3.5L VQ or for that matter, the oil cooler between a 2.4L and 3.5L engine are they the same part number?

WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

Also, I don't know why WIX would have a different base on these two filters. I'd have to stop by a NAPA store to have them pull one of each so I could compare the two side-by-side.
#3 Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Here's a photo of each off of the WIX website. Kind of hard to tell if there is really any difference in the base design or not. They both look to have the same basic shape. Would have to look at them side by side to see what the distance was from the threaded hole to the base of the o-ring to get the real story.

#4 Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond02V65SPD View Post
I was on their site and decided to send WIX an email, out of curiosity sake, to see why they don't recommend that filter for our cars.

The part of the response that is interesting is this:

"51356 has a different base plate and may bottom out on your Base before the Gasket has a chance to seal. All the dimensions look the same but be aware that if you use a Filter other then what is recommended for your vehicle there will be no warranty should you have problems with it. "
Since I have a NAPA Gold 1356 sitting in the garage waiting to be used on the next oil change on my 3.5L, I'm interested in this issue.

So I stopped by the local NAPA store today and asked if I could look at the NAPA Gold 1356 (long version) and 1365 (short version) filters - these are identical to the WIX 51356 and 51365.

I explained to the guy there about what WIX said above, and so he measured the distance from the O-ring gasket to the base on the edge of the large threaded hole on both filters (the point that would be closest to the gasket). Both measured within 0.010 inch of each other - one was 0.295" and the other 0.305". That is hardly any difference at all and could just be from manufacturing tolerances. My conclusion is that the base dimensions are basically identical to each other.

Bond02V65SPD - you might email the guy at WIX back and let him know that a measurement of the two showed no obvious differences, so why would WIX make such a statement?
#5 Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima SSS View Post
so why would WIX make such a statement?
To cover their ass...

Canucks Rool!
2002 3.5 Ruby
Blacked Out Chrome

Feedback Thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ven...ck-thread.html
#6 Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohnny View Post
To cover their ass...
haha...That is exactly how I feel about the whole situation. But I really don't understand why they wouldn't recommend it. If they are 100% identical except for length there would be absolutely no problem. Why the *$#^ would he make up something about the base plate?

Altima SSS - I will see if I still have the email, and if I do I will email him back with your findings to see what he says.

So far: tint (20% back and 35% front sides), calipers painted red, active tuning aux input kit

#7 Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

(Thread Starter)
Just to let you know, I still had the email and wrote them back with your info. We will see what they say this time.

#8 Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
BT
Super Modder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima SSS View Post
Since I have a NAPA Gold 1356 sitting in the garage waiting to be used on the next oil change on my 3.5L, I'm interested in this issue.

So I stopped by the local NAPA store today and asked if I could look at the NAPA Gold 1356 (long version) and 1365 (short version) filters - these are identical to the WIX 51356 and 51365.

I explained to the guy there about what WIX said above, and so he measured the distance from the O-ring gasket to the base on the edge of the large threaded hole on both filters (the point that would be closest to the gasket). Both measured within 0.010 inch of each other - one was 0.295" and the other 0.305". That is hardly any difference at all and could just be from manufacturing tolerances. My conclusion is that the base dimensions are basically identical to each other.

Bond02V65SPD - you might email the guy at WIX back and let him know that a measurement of the two showed no obvious differences, so why would WIX make such a statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohnny View Post
To cover their ass...
I have not been following this thread that closely, but I can tell you that the base plates are the same. Essentially, Nissan has not changed their oil filter mount in years. There have been 2 filters made that allow for clearance issues on some vehicles...And some engineer at Nissan decides which one goes on which model. In the case of the VQ in the Altima, the short version was spec'ed out, when the long would have worked just fine. Just take a look at the numerous other manufacturers that only offer one(short) filter for both applications (Baldwin comes to mind, and I know there are others).

WIX will stand on this issue. They offer both filters, so if a warranty claim came through on an engine that was blown up due to a defective filter that was not correct by application, they will deny it. It does not matter that everything is the same except length, and a court will back them. Period.

Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 04-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.
#9 Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond02V65SPD View Post
Just to let you know, I still had the email and wrote them back with your info. We will see what they say this time.
Cool ... I'd like to see what they say knowing there is no real measureable difference in the bases between the long and short version.
#10 Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
I have not been following this thread that closely, but I can tell you that the base plates are the same. Essentially, Nissan has not changed their oil filter mount in years. There have been 2 filters made that allow for clearance issues on some vehicles...And some engineer at Nissan decides which one goes on which model. In the case of the VQ in the Altima, the short version was spec'ed out, when the long would have worked just fine.
Yes, Nissan has a long version oil filter (called out for the 2.5L 4 banger) that will work on the VQ in the Altimas. Most dealers will even tell you that you can use the longer version on your 3.5L VQ. Guess Nissan needed to sell some short filters somewhere.

I'm not worried about using the long WIX/NAPA Gold filter. The chances of thier filter causing engine damage is probably very small to none.
#11 Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
I wouldn't be worried at all about using the long filter after knowing how many people have done it without a problem, but I want to know why WIX doesn't just say that it is a drop in replacement just like the short version.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode