LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
3.5 manual transmission fluid plug location

Hi all,

I'm at 45k and I think I need to replace the transmission fluid. I've read the forums and planning on going with the redline 60/40 MTL/MT-90 mix. Any idea how much I would need? 2qts?

Can anyone show me where the manual transmission speedometer pinion gear/filler plug is? I'm planning on changing the fluid andI read somewhere it is easier to do once the cold air intake is removed.

I haven't done that yet, but I was wondering where the filler plug is. If someone can take a picture, that'd be helpful. If the drain plug can be shown also, that would be great.

I've tried to use this as reference but it seems different.
Technical Articles: Altima Coupe Redline Manual Trans fluid tutorial

Also, is there a basic gasket and o-ring that I can get from nissan? Or is those sizes specific to the transmission?

thanks in advance

05 3.5MT | 50-35% tints | SE-R style LED tails | SE-R rims + spoiler + RSB | nismo CAI | activetuning S5 grille
racingline FSTB + MMI + F/R endlinks + y pipe | cattman b pipe | bc racing br | racingbrake CP4 | DDM HID 6000k
audio: bose6cd | cdt audio hd-62s | audiobahn sub/amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Nissan Service Manuals This may help.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
#3 Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 AM

(Thread Starter)
thanks, i have located the speedometer pinion gear, and i think i have the drain plug located. i don't have an inverted hex atm so i stopped there for now.

comparing to the coupe tutorial, it uses a (10mm?) hex bit socket but the drain plug from that car appears on the bottom of the transaxle and faces downward. the one in my car, if what i think is the drain plug, it is facing the side. can anyone confirm or have a picture of an 05-06 altima manual transmission drain plug?

also, what is an easy way to check the fluid level from the pinion gear opening hole? its so deep down in there. do i just drain and put ~2 quarts as mentioned in the recommended fluids?

05 3.5MT | 50-35% tints | SE-R style LED tails | SE-R rims + spoiler + RSB | nismo CAI | activetuning S5 grille
racingline FSTB + MMI + F/R endlinks + y pipe | cattman b pipe | bc racing br | racingbrake CP4 | DDM HID 6000k
#4 Old 06-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Tillman Welding

I think I used close to four...

there are two plugs on the drivers side behind the wheel and splash panel.. one is drain one is fill.. just get an allen wrench set, one with bigger sizes.. not the little set..

u will know by sticking your finger in the hole, u can usually feel fluid when its full. what I like to do is fill it until it wants to start dripping out then cap it real quick... if the car is jacked up bring it down before u cap it, this will level it out.. u dont have to take off the wheel to do this...
#5 Old 06-07-2009, 05:12 AM

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the help. i found location and filled about 1.7qts of 50/50 redline mtl/mt-90 mix.

Last edited by hijack784; 06-08-2009 at 03:58 AM.
#6 Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
CONFUSED!!!

Would This Be The Same Process For A 2.5 Or Does It Even Matter?
#7 Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Should be.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
#8 Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM

bump ... i've been reading through these thread because im about to do a manual tranny fluid change. everyone has talked about mixing because there is no 75w85 redline available ... however i found this, will it work?

btw i have 4thgen 3.5 mt doubt it will be much diff though

Amazon.com: Red Line Oil MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil- Quart: Automotive Amazon.com: Red Line Oil MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil- Quart: Automotive
#9 Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM

I just changed the transmission fluid on my 02 Altima last week with Redline MT-90 that I bought from Amazon.com. I went to Redline's website and found out they do have 75w-85 but I think either one will be just fine.

What is confusing is the service manual says the capacity is 4-7/8 pints, so I put in 5 pints. All in all I put in about 2-3/4 qt. without filling it all the way to the fill hole level.
#10 Old 04-05-2011, 03:44 PM

For the people that haven't bought fluid, just buy the Redline MT-85 and be done with it.

The fluid capacity is 2.2L.

2006 Nissan Altima SE-R | 3.5L 214ci VQ35DE DOHC 60 V6 | 6MT
Racingline HFPCs and y-pipe, NWP VIAS delete, Goodridge stainless brake lines, EBC Green Stuff pads, removed airbox snorkel, deburgered.

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP | Supercharged 3.8L 231ci 90 V6 | 4T65E HD
Intake, DHP 1.5, SD hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode