Safety Issue: Help : Can remove ignition key with car in gear (Drive, Neutral) - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RESOLVED Safety Issue: Can remove ignition key with car in gear (Drive, Neutral)

Hi all

With my 2002 Altima I can remove my ignition key with the car still in gear. Occasionally I stop the car forget to take it out of gear, remove the key and when I go to get out of the car, I feel the car roll. I look down and there is the car in drive. Its' an automatic transmission and there is supposed to be something to prevent this, just don't know how complicated or expensive it will be to repair.

Any ideas on cause/fix and is there any type of recall to TSB on this?

Thanks
Doug in Toronto

2002 Silver SL
Leather, Sunroof, OEM Fogs

Last edited by doumat; 06-15-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Updating with resolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

leave a note on your door handle no recall about this that i know of though...

18 x 8 350z wheels on 225/45R18 Yokohama YK520's -Eibach Pro-Kit -Magnaflow mufflers/no resonator -15% tint -S2 Grille -Momo shift knob -Injen CAI -12" Orion sub - NWP Vias Blockoff - V-LED Interior Swap - Bt2580 Footwell Lights - Bt2580 Under-hood Lights - Custom LED Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
Dont let me influence you when i say buy them. They are well worth the money. Trust me, im a Jew (i really am lol)
#3 Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 AM

Start using your ebrake. My manual will let me do this as well. LOL
#4 Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

of course manuals can do that... It's a completely different system. I always take my key out with the car in gear and never use the emergency brake... As long as it's in gear, it won't roll on level ground... Kind of like in an auto with it in park...

18 x 8 350z wheels on 225/45R18 Yokohama YK520's -Eibach Pro-Kit -Magnaflow mufflers/no resonator -15% tint -S2 Grille -Momo shift knob -Injen CAI -12" Orion sub - NWP Vias Blockoff - V-LED Interior Swap - Bt2580 Footwell Lights - Bt2580 Under-hood Lights - Custom LED Tails

Quote:
Dont let me influence you when i say buy them. They are well worth the money. Trust me, im a Jew (i really am lol)
#5 Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
op why would you just stop and take the key out? is it that easy to forget about putting it in P? and yes there is supposed to be something that locks your key in the ignition when its not in P...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
#6 Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Ass slider

Check that the bypass switch isn't being pressed.

Mods:
| there's a tube on the throttle body | gots some fogs too | got some sounds | HIDzzz | some metal thingy | Nismo exhaust | sport grill | NIZMO WHEELZ /Stikcy as shit tires | Fck the prop rod | header | JIHAD MIRRORS | some metal bar | LEDS | DROPed | some rubber thing | pulled out a chunk of metal | CALIPER PAINT | more metal rods |

#7 Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
and yes there is supposed to be something that locks your key in the ignition when its not in P...
not on a manual... if you were referring to my post...

Quote:
#8 Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 AM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordShadow View Post
of course manuals can do that... It's a completely different system. I always take my key out with the car in gear and never use the emergency brake... As long as it's in gear, it won't roll on level ground... Kind of like in an auto with it in park...
Not entirely true... if you pull up somewhere on even a very slight incline and stop, in say, 3rd or 4th gear, turn the car off and dont use the e-brake, there is a good chance that your car could still roll. Always leave the car in either 1st or Rev, depending on what incline you are on. Those two gears give you the best chance of not turning your engine when it is off. I always use my e-brake and leave it in gear just to be safe.

Joe-
'02 3.5SE 6MT HLSD (SOLD Nov. 2011)
1/4 mile: 14.29 @ 101.33, 2.29 60' (5MT)

'06 Mazda 3s GT 5MT - Current DD / autox car
Dunlop Star Specs, Mazdaspeed Catback

#9 Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by altjt02 View Post
Not entirely true... if you pull up somewhere on even a very slight incline and stop, in say, 3rd or 4th gear, turn the car off and dont use the e-brake, there is a good chance that your car could still roll. Always leave the car in either 1st or Rev, depending on what incline you are on. Those two gears give you the best chance of not turning your engine when it is off. I always use my e-brake and leave it in gear just to be safe.
true, but i always back into parking spaces, including the driveway so i never leave it in 3rd or 4th, it's always in reverse i was referring to the previous post when the guy said his manual lets him pull out the key while it's in gear. Plus i did say as long as it's on level ground. Texas and the such is pretty level haha

Quote:
#10 Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordShadow View Post
true, but i always back into parking spaces, including the driveway so i never leave it in 3rd or 4th, it's always in reverse i was referring to the previous post when the guy said his manual lets him pull out the key while it's in gear. Plus i did say as long as it's on level ground. Texas and the such is pretty level haha
Well your still a dumbass for not recognizing sarcasm. Of course I know that it is perfectly normal to be able to take the key out when the car is in gear hell I could do it while the car is rolling at 180kmh with my foot on the clutch in fifth except the wheel would lock and I would more than likely die. Also of course you can take the key out of the ignition while the car is in any gear. Though it should not be possible while the car is running only when the ignition is turned back to the lock position is it normal for the key to come out.
#11 Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Talking Resolution -

Hi all

This problem is now resolved. I took it to the dealer. First he checked the solenoid that is on the shifter (automatic). That worked fine so he moved onto the ignition switch. It seems as there is a switch there that is supposed to prevent you from taking out the key if you are in anything but Park. That switch was out of alignment as well as the there was some binding on the tumblers in the lock

The resolution was removal of the ignition switch, lubrication of the tumblers and adjustment of the safety switch on the ignition switch mechanism. $98in labour.

Thanks All

2002 Silver SL
Leather, Sunroof, OEM Fogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode