IPDM issues? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
IPDM issues?

First of, it's like to say I've searched all over for info on this problem, and don't seem to find anything, so any help would be appreciated.
Basically, I had my BCM replaced a week ago a few things (blinkers, headlamp, trunk) were not working at all, this supposedly fixed all of that. At the time the AC wasn't cooling and I just assumed it was a freon issue...
Turns out the compressor isn't receiving any power at all. A regular mechanic said he couldn't figure it out, he thought it was an electrical issue. The mechanic at the dealership says it is a problem with the IPDM, and it needs to be replaced. They need to order it directly from Nissan, etc. He's saying $180 for the part, but whatever, the issue now is he can't guarantee that's the only problem... or that is actually going to fix the problem.
AC comes on, I feel HOT air coming out, and that's it. Pop the hood, compressor just doesn't turn ON/OFF when the AC is turned ON/OFF in the car... Any suggestions?
Thanks.
P.S: it is an '06 Altima.. 2.5S special edition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach CON View Post
First of, it's like to say I've searched all over for info on this problem, and don't seem to find anything, so any help would be appreciated.
Basically, I had my BCM replaced a week ago a few things (blinkers, headlamp, trunk) were not working at all, this supposedly fixed all of that. At the time the AC wasn't cooling and I just assumed it was a freon issue...
Turns out the compressor isn't receiving any power at all. A regular mechanic said he couldn't figure it out, he thought it was an electrical issue. The mechanic at the dealership says it is a problem with the IPDM, and it needs to be replaced. They need to order it directly from Nissan, etc. He's saying $180 for the part, but whatever, the issue now is he can't guarantee that's the only problem... or that is actually going to fix the problem.
AC comes on, I feel HOT air coming out, and that's it. Pop the hood, compressor just doesn't turn ON/OFF when the AC is turned ON/OFF in the car... Any suggestions?
Thanks.
P.S: it is an '06 Altima.. 2.5S special edition.
1. is the fuse good ?
2. is your freon level ok ? if it is , your low pressure switch could be bad , you could have the mechanic (or yourself) jump the pressure switch to see if the compressor turns on . if the compressor still doesn't turn on you have a bigger problem .
3. the magnetic clutch could be bad .

MY AUTO BLOG (COMPLETE WITH INSTALLS).

http://jimsautoeverything.blogspot.com/
post #3 of 24 Old 06-05-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
1. is the fuse good ?
2. is your freon level ok ? if it is , your low pressure switch could be bad , you could have the mechanic (or yourself) jump the pressure switch to see if the compressor turns on . if the compressor still doesn't turn on you have a bigger problem .
3. the magnetic clutch could be bad .
Thanks for the response Jim. Fuse and freon levels are ok. I'll have to try jump the pressure switch later tonight and I'll let you know how that goes. I really don't know much about fixing this kind of stuff, but I guess my biggest question is... what all does the IPDM control? (or distribute power to)
If it is bad, why is it just the AC that isn't working? shouldn't other parts be damaged as well? j/w

post #4 of 24 Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 AM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for the response Jim. Fuse and freon levels are ok. I'll have to try jump the pressure switch later tonight and I'll let you know how that goes. I really don't know much about fixing this kind of stuff, but I guess my biggest question is... what all does the IPDM control? (or distribute power to)
If it is bad, why is it just the AC that isn't working? shouldn't other parts be damaged as well? j/w

i believe the IPDM (intelligent power distribution module) is just the main fuse and relay box

maybe the relay is bad , but first see if the low pressure switch is bad .

post #5 of 24 Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Here is a way to test the IPDM: Turn the ignition key to the on position, press your door switch 10 times, turn the ignition off then turn it back to the on position. If you do this right your horn will beep and the oil light will start flashing. The defroster ,headlights,cooling fans,wipers,and compressor clutch will cycle, so make sure that your hood is open so you can here the clicks of the compressor clutch. This is called the auto active test and this tests the main relays in the IPDM. If the compressor clutch clicks then its NOT the IPDM. Then i would suggest do what Jim said and test your pressure switch.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info guys, did the IPDM test and I hear the click, relief...
Taking it in to a different shop to get the low pressure switch looked at... and I'll go from there. Will keep you guys posted.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 AM
VQ Powered Grocery Getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclk190 View Post
Here is a way to test the IPDM: Turn the ignition key to the on position, press your door switch 10 times, turn the ignition off then turn it back to the on position. If you do this right your horn will beep and the oil light will start flashing. The defroster ,headlights,cooling fans,wipers,and compressor clutch will cycle, so make sure that your hood is open so you can here the clicks of the compressor clutch. This is called the auto active test and this tests the main relays in the IPDM. If the compressor clutch clicks then its NOT the IPDM. Then i would suggest do what Jim said and test your pressure switch.
Wow that should be a sticky for all that important proceduce.
At least added to a stickied thread for the information alone.
Nice one King.
Got any more ideas like this?

Nismo CAI
Nismo CAMS
Nismo CAT-back & exhaust
Nismo Radiator cap & Oil cap
SSIM Intake, NWP Spacers & VIAS Plate
Racingline Y-Pipe, Endlinks, Tower Strut and Battery BAR, Traction Bars
UpRev EMS
STS, S5 Grill, Fusion 12" Sub, Train Horns , 350 HP 385 Tq Dynotune NO2

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/northeastern-u-s/321997-4th-annual-northeastern-nissan-end-year-meet.html
post #8 of 24 Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 AM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, did the IPDM test and I hear the click, relief...
Taking it in to a different shop to get the low pressure switch looked at... and I'll go from there. Will keep you guys posted.
the low pressure switch is easy to check , you just have the car running , turn the A/C on and jump the switch (take the connector off and jump the terminals) , if the A/C turns on you have a bad pressure switch .

post #9 of 24 Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 AM

Oh yea check the evaporator temperature switch, you might have to pull the glove box to take a look at it. The A/C wont come on without that either.Hey SE-R altima driver, i like the gangsta bugs bunny lol reminds of the lot 49 T-shirts.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I think this should be stickied as well. I never knew there was a procedure for this. Printed and put in my shop manual.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-13-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
upon further review... I do need a new IPDM... there's power going into the IPDM but none coming out of it to the compressor... that's the issue...
2 options are... give it to the dealer and pay $400 ($180 for the part)... and hope nothing further is damaged... or shop around for my own IPDM... (which is where y'all come in...)
Any ideas where I can shop for an IPDM online?

Thanks in advance.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-13-2009, 02:54 AM

what method of testing did you use to find out? Did you use a multimeter or something. The only reason i ask is because if you heard the compressor click on and off during the auto active test, the only way power gets to the compressor is via the IPDM. Oh well, pull out the IPDM and see if there are any relays that control the A/C and maybe you can replace just that relay.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
what method of testing did you use to find out? Did you use a multimeter or something. The only reason i ask is because if you heard the compressor click on and off during the auto active test, the only way power gets to the compressor is via the IPDM. Oh well, pull out the IPDM and see if there are any relays that control the A/C and maybe you can replace just that relay.
Got a hold of the manual... read quite a bit about the IPDM and it says:
Quote:
CAUTION:
None of the IPDM E/R-integrated relays can be individually removed.
(it's on page 16/74 of PG.pdf in the 2006-Altima.zip file folder...)

So I'm officially in the market for a new IPDM, it's quite easy to replace so I'll do it myself. courtesyparts.com has it for $147.66 before tax and shipping... unless there's any other suggestions...

P.S: hopefully that's all it is, cos if it isn't I guess I'll have to troubleshoot the compressor
post #14 of 24 Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Got a hold of the manual... read quite a bit about the IPDM and it says:

(it's on page 16/74 of PG.pdf in the 2006-Altima.zip file folder...)

So I'm officially in the market for a new IPDM, it's quite easy to replace so I'll do it myself. courtesyparts.com has it for $147.66 before tax and shipping... unless there's any other suggestions...

P.S: hopefully that's all it is, cos if it isn't I guess I'll have to troubleshoot the compressor
Wow that sucks, so your telling me if a relay goes bad, i got to replace a whole module? Wow new cars these days. Well 147 is not too bad, there are things that are more expensive and simpler ( can anyone say MAF sensor)
post #15 of 24 Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Ok before you buy a new IPDM: You said that you DID hear the compressor click with the auto active test right? I think you should start checking wiring before changing the IPDM, I was reviewing the service manual and this is what it said.
Perform Auto Active test: Did A/C compressor clutch engage? Yes: troubleshoot steps

1.BCM signal input circuit
2.CAN communication signal between BCM and ECM.
3.CAN communication signal between ECM and IPDM E/R

If you replace the IPDM and one of those is the malfunction then a new IPDM is going to do no good. I'll be more then happy to help you with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode