3.5L Engine Oil Dipstick Reading - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3.5L Engine Oil Dipstick Reading

Did my 1st oil change on a 2004 Altima I picked up a few months ago. It seemed that it took only 3/4 quart of oil to get the oil level from "L" to "H" on the dipstick. I assumed that most dipsticks show 1 quart between the low and full marks ... at least on many other vehicles it's that way.

Can anyone tell me if the distance between the "L" and "H" mark represents 3/4 qt? I couldn't find it documented anyplace by Nissan on what volume of oil is represented by this distance on the dipstick.

Last edited by Altima SSS; 07-07-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 06:34 AM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
it should take 1 full quart from the low to high mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
zoom zoom

^^+1, should be 1 qt. But sometimes, well, a lot of times it is hard to get an accurate reading with these dipsticks, so you really have to let it settle for a while to get an accurate reading. Did it read over full after you put the entire quart in?

Joe-
'02 3.5SE 6MT HLSD (SOLD Nov. 2011)
1/4 mile: 14.29 @ 101.33, 2.29 60' (5MT)

'06 Mazda 3s GT 5MT - Current DD / autox car
Dunlop Star Specs, Mazdaspeed Catback

Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altjt02 View Post
^^+1, should be 1 qt. But sometimes, well, a lot of times it is hard to get an accurate reading with these dipsticks, so you really have to let it settle for a while to get an accurate reading. Did it read over full after you put the entire quart in?
When I changed the oil & filter, I put in exactly 4 qts. After running the engine for 4-5 minutes, I shut it off and let it sit a good 20+ minutes before checking the level, which was right at the "L" mark on the dipstick. I read the dipstick under a strong light and even used a magnifying glass to see exactly where the stick level was. This was done in my garage which is level floor of course.

Then I put in another 3/4 qt, thinking 1 qt would take it to the "H" mark. The level was then a millimeter or two above the "H" mark when checked hot ~ 20 min after shutdown. I drove the car the next day, and even checked the oil level cold, and it was the same ... a couple MM above the "H" mark. So, from what I'm seeing (at least on my car) is that it took 3/4 qt (or a hair less) to bring the level from "L" to "H".

On a side note, I’ve noticed that the dipstick level basically shows the same if you check the oil hot ~20 min after shutdown, or if you check it the next morning after the car has sat overnight and the oil is stone cold.

When I read the dipstick, I use strong light and even a magnifying glass sometime (when oil is hot and clean and hard to see) to determine exactly where the level is ... I know I'm getting a good reading on the stick.

Last edited by Altima SSS; 07-07-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Nice, without experience with this I would call you a goober for using a magnifying glass to look at your dipstick with. But I for one know that after an oil change i end up checking the level probably 20-50 times which is just crazy and I should get a magnifying glass out next time. My last oil change left me with a verrry small amount of oil in the 5 qt container and i was right at the full line or a millimeter or 2 above after the start up and initial running of course.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosvq35 View Post
Nice, without experience with this I would call you a goober for using a magnifying glass to look at your dipstick with. But I for one know that after an oil change i end up checking the level probably 20-50 times which is just crazy and I should get a magnifying glass out next time. My last oil change left me with a verrry small amount of oil in the 5 qt container and i was right at the full line or a millimeter or 2 above after the start up and initial running of course.
LOL ... yeah, it sounds strange to use a magnifier, but it really works good. I can get a clear reading even when the oil is brand new and hot as hell. Try it ... you'll like it!

Anyway, if I had to bet, I'd say that it only takes 5/8 to 3/4 qt to make the level go from "L" to "H" on the dipstick. I'm sure that if you add 1 qt when the level is at "L" that it will end up way above "H".
Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

When I change my oil, I put in exactly 4.5 quarts. I don't ever check the dipstick until I've let the car sit at least overnight, or 7-8 hours. These dipsticks are tough to get a good read on unless you're positive it's all settled good. With the exact refill of 4.5 It's always right on the mark the next day. You don't want to over or under-add oil. 4.5 puts it right on.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode