Noise when accelerating - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Noise when accelerating

Ok, i don't usually come here for help since i never really get many responses to my threads, but this issue is starting to piss me off. I have a 2005 3.5 5A/T with about 57,000 miles and i just recently started having a few problems. When the car is accelerating, and i hit 2500-3000 rpm, i hear a sound that's kinda like a scraping or a hiss. I took it to the dealer because i have an extended warranty for like 4years/100,000mi.

The first time i went, the tech took a ride with me and he said he couldn't hear the sound. I drove and he drove, but yet he claimed he couldn't hear it. He said to bring the car back when the sound gets louder.

I've been reading alot about timing chain issues, so i took the car back the next week and had them look at the chain and tensioners. They said that those were fine, but while they were in there, they noticed that i had 2 broken motor mounts. They said that it could be what's causing the noise. I'm no fool and i know that broken motor mounts aren't the culprit. But i had those fixed anyway, and on my way to pick up my wife, I still hear the same noises.

I'm going back again next monday and i'm gonna make those bastards drive around with me until they hear what i hear. But can anyone think of anything that could be the problem so i can have them specifically check that when i go? Could it be an exhaust leak? Tranny going? Engine going? Sorry for the long post...

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT

Last edited by impulse215; 07-21-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse215 View Post
Ok, i don't usually come here for help since i never really get many responses to my threads, but this issue is starting to piss me off. I have a 2005 3.5 5A/T with about 57,000 miles and i just recently started having a few problems. When the car is accelerating, and i hit 2500-3000 rpm, i hear a sound that's kinda like a scraping or a hiss. I took it to the dealer because i have an extended warranty for like 4years/100,000mi.

The first time i went, the tech took a ride with me and he said he couldn't hear the sound. I drove and he drove, but yet he claimed he couldn't hear it. He said to bring the car back when the sound gets louder.

I've been reading alot about timing chain issues, so i took the car back the next week and had them look at the chain and tensioners. They said that those were fine, but while they were in there, they noticed that i had 2 broken motor mounts. They said that it could be what's causing the noise. I'm no fool and i know that broken motor mounts aren't the culprit. But i had those fixed anyway, and on my way to pick up my wife, I still hear the same noises.

I'm going back again next monday and i'm gonna make those bastards drive around with me until they hear what i hear. But can anyone think of anything that could be the problem so i can have them specifically check that when i go? Could it be an exhaust leak? Tranny going? Engine going? Sorry for the long post...
Try to be more specific when you're describing the noise.
This issue has been brought up on numerous occasions lately.

Here's one of the many threads on this

This could be your tensioner, but it could also be one of your heat-shields rattling.
I'm dealing with this stupid issue so I know what you're going through.
Good Luck

Pete

2005 3.5SE (Polished Pewter) • 5AT • Berk WAI • AT Grounding Kit • NWP Vias Delete • Magnaflow Mufflers • Racingline Y-Pipe (cat delete) • KYB GR-2's • Eibach Pro-Kit • Stillen FSB/RSB • SS Brake lines • Hawk HPS Pads • SE-R Tails • AT S5 Grill • 35% Tint • Debadged
My Cardomain!
#3 Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
i really don't know how else to descrbe it. hissing, scraping lol i don't really know. where are these heat shield's you're talking about?

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
#4 Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

The heatshields are on the exhaust manifolds. They are thin metal shields riveted to the manifolds to help prevent the manifold heat from trashing any nearby wiring, etc. Mine has started exhibiting a bit of this sound. I can tell it's the shields because of the characteristic high pitched vibrations that occur around 2700 rpm or so, usually when cold but still there. The cure-have the shields spot welded.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
#5 Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
that sounds like my problem. thanks. i'll have my local exhaust shop check that

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
#6 Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
is this the heat shield that's causing all the noise?

looks broken. i saw in another thread that someone fixed theirs with a hose clamp.

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
#7 Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
anyone know?

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
#8 Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the A/C on when the noise occurs? Does it go away when you turn it off? If yes to both, then its the A/C expansion valve whistling. If the A/C is fully charged then it is unfortunately normal.
#9 Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 AM

(Thread Starter)
the noise isn't affected by the a/c. on or off, i still hear it. and it only happens after i've been driving for a few minutes. it's between 2500 and 3000 rpms. but the funny thing is that it only happens when the car is moving. i can put it in neutral and rev the engine and it sounds fine.

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
#10 Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Tismoed 1 part at a time.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Altima heatshield. It's in the engine bay , not under the car. Make sure those bolts are not loose. See if that helps.

Quote:
wolfpacrules :
I am doing oil change and when I pulled out the oil filter, only about 1/3 Qt of oil came out.
Quote:
Sentinal: Ummm....are you trying to do an oil change through the filter???
#11 Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

(Thread Starter)
thank you sir

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
#12 Old 07-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd

Actually it could be those under the car too, but most likely the ones on the manifold.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
#13 Old 07-25-2009, 12:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
I looked in the engine bay and the heatshield looked nice and secure, so i went to the hardware store and got a 2in pipe coupling to clamp the one under the car. Initially, i clamped the one that i took the picture of, but after a few minutes of driving, the sound came back. So i got back under the car, and tapped on the pipes a little bit, and i realized that it was the one next to it that was the culprit. I clamped that one up, and i've been noise free for 40 miles so far. Thanks for your help gentlemen.

2005 Altima 3.5SE 5AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode