Bad Paint Job - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2002, 06:26 AM

Bad Paint Job

Is it just my car or is the paint job on the front bumper of all 02 Altimas pretty cheap/weak? Not even two weeks after I picked up my car, did I receive a pretty noticeable paint chip on my front bumper. And now almost two months later, I have many little chips on the front bumper.

IMHO the paint on the 02 Altimas is bad. What is everybody elses thoughts?

Last edited by DSmooth; 03-20-2002 at 06:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2002, 06:28 AM
I wanna get Psycho

You need to bring that shit back to the dealership and tell them now before it is to late and they blame you.........
Old 03-20-2002, 07:13 AM
X-Mod

My thoughts are that debris is bring kicked up from vehicles in front of you and is impacting with the front of your car and chipping your Altima's paint no more than it would chip the paint on any other car with a similar front end. The Smyrna plant is one of the newest and best in the industry, and I also don't believe the paint on the car is inferior to the paint on any other mass-produced car. JMO. And I think I read somewhere that the plant was also the only auto plant to receive some award for an environmental achievement. ?? Unless maybe they use a different paint? (water-based??)
Old 03-20-2002, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the wealth of information. It's just frustrating since all of my other cars/trucks went years without any noticeable stone chips.

Just the other week I received (as a gift) a bra/nose mask for my Altima. But, unfortunately the weather has been kind of crazy and unpredictable that I do not want to put it on just to take it off a few hours later.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Former Honda owner

IMO the paint sucks. Altimat, I understand what you are saying but I have never seen paint chip so easily. I have owned Honda's, Toyota's, and Dodge's that never chipped as much with normal day to day driving.

I will say, it may be partially due to excessive speed.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:20 PM

I had a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab before this - that paint was far worse than my Altima's. If you looked at it funny it would get dull ... continue to stare and it would chip.

Toyota's new paint is a lot worse!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:06 PM
04-05 Pedal Insert

Interesting

i do not know why,but, all of my chips are on the sides of my car. I do not have one stone chip on the front. I have a few runs in my paint...........I never saw that from a factory paint job. That little corner behind the rear doors is beatten by debrit.......how it finds that ilttle spot I do not know. Design flaw
*12 3.5 SR w/Tractor Transmission
*12 Quest SL
Old 03-20-2002, 06:11 PM

Solution: Drive Backwards...

Better yet, complain to Nissan now and often, this will put you in a better position later. If the dealer does not satisfy you call the Tech center and complain, they have bigger ears and try to stop the complaining.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Barkless Dog

My trunk has terrible orange peel
Old 03-20-2002, 06:18 PM

paints have changed signifigantly in the last few years....mainly because of environmental concerns. They can no longer use certain metals in the paint because they are toxic .... but those were the metals that made the paint hard.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:42 PM

On plastic parts, they have to use some addatives and that changes the color a little. I am not getting any chips on my hood or front fenders as I would have expected and I have been doing a lot of highway driving with sand and salt on the roads. I did put several coats of wax on prior to the onset of winter. I am having my grill painted so that should be a good test to see how the paint holds up on plastic when not done by the Nissan paint team.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:49 PM

Remember that aftermarket paint will not be as hard as factory because they cannot bake the car hot enough without melting the interior. If they can remove the part they can bake them pretty hot to make the paint hard. So I would not jump at the offer that the dealer will repaint parts unless the paint is really bad. Try to get the to put it in writting that they will paint the parts in the future if it continues to get worse. This is one of the problems with plastic parts plus the additives.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: Bad Paint Job

Quote:
Originally posted by DSmooth
Is it just my car or is the paint job on the front bumper of all 02 Altimas pretty cheap/weak? Not even two weeks after I picked up my car, did I receive a pretty noticeable paint chip on my front bumper. And now almost two months later, I have many little chips on the front bumper.

IMHO the paint on the 02 Altimas is bad. What is everybody elses thoughts?
All nissans are like this and have been since 1995 when Nissan went cheap on alot of stuff. I suggest look into www.x-pel.com or www.stongard.com for protection right away.
2007 NISMO 350Z #44, Silver Alloy
2006 Acura RL
2001 Altima GXE
Old 03-20-2002, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by e-squared
Remember that aftermarket paint will not be as hard as factory because they cannot bake the car hot enough without melting the interior. If they can remove the part they can bake them pretty hot to make the paint hard. So I would not jump at the offer that the dealer will repaint parts unless the paint is really bad. Try to get the to put it in writting that they will paint the parts in the future if it continues to get worse. This is one of the problems with plastic parts plus the additives.
That is a bunch of BS. I have a friend that owns a body shop, and the paint they bake on is much more higher quality paint, and will defintely stick better than the factory paint.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:44 PM

More On Paint...

You guys should have seen the front fascia on my 1st gen
before I traded it in on the V-6. Looks like it had been
sand blasted!
My SE-R doesn't look that hot either.
These are my conclusions: 1) Poor Nissan Paint
2) Lowered ride height 3) Years of debris impact from
I-35.
The lowered ride height theory is making me think
twice about lowering the V-6. Will probably still
do it but after I move closer to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.