Whistling noise - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2002, 08:24 AM

not wheel noise!

Sorry, I dont think its the wheels

I have a 2.5s, so, I have different wheels than a 3.5.

I dont think its the wheels.

Why would'nt all 4 wheels make the noise??

"The Cure for the Common Car"

2002 Altima 2.5s mfd 11/01, Satin White, 5Sp, All rear De-badged, Conv Pkg, REMOVED Cabin Filter, Cargo Nets, Carpet Mats. Owner Added: OE Splash Guards, OE Rear Deck Spoiler, OE Alloy Wheel Locks, OE Foglamps. Tinted Windows, 03' cloth armrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2002, 08:34 AM
spinnin' !

Re: not wheel noise!

Quote:
Originally posted by 02CajunAlty
Sorry, I dont think its the wheels

I have a 2.5s, so, I have different wheels than a 3.5.

I dont think its the wheels.

Why would'nt all 4 wheels make the noise??
I said on the 3.5 not yours. And they wouldn't all make the same noise perhaps due to other aerodynamic factors. It only comes from the front wheels on my car. I complained but they said that they cant do anything about it since it only occurs at high speed. I would be interested in that TSB tho.

My vB Garage
Old 03-23-2002, 03:30 AM

You know, sometimes I wonder if this board hurts more than it helps. Seems as though everytime I read about a problem, I get it the next day. First, I hear the sunroof creaking and allowing a lot of wind noise in and now I've just become aware of this whistling sound. It was very gusty on my way to work this morning and going at around 75 mph I hear the aforementioned noise (something sounding like a puppy whimpering/howling).

I'm sure I would have never noticed it if I didn't read this DAMN thread. Denial can be a good thing sometimes. Thanks a lot guys

BTW, any word on that TSB?

-2002 Altima 3.5 SE - Super Black w/ Charcoal int, 5-spd
-2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 5-spd
-2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R- Firecracker Red, Mods

Total # of horses tended: 573
Old 12-20-2002, 03:30 PM

Where is this TSB for howling wind noise?

I was aware of the howling wind noise and had heard discussion about it coming from the wheels, but I think it is more serious than that. I have heard the howling wind noise before but only for short periods, say 2 seconds.

Driving to Knoxville yesterday there were some crosswinds, pretty substantial. Driving at around 75 MPH with all windows closed I hear it again. Only this time it is severely distracting, It interrupted a conversation multiple times. In fact, it was quite embarassing! The noise lasted for about 5-10 seconds and was very loud. It sounded as if it was coming from right above the driver's side door area. I cannot express how annoying this noise was. The noise repeatedly appeared.

I remember the video of the guy, I think it was in Florida, where the noise appears. Well, it was like that but much, much worse. A while back I remember reading a post about this being a design flaw on the Altima. I disregarded that remark because I figured the Nissan engineers would have tested the aerodynamics of the car thoroughly but after yesterday I am seriously disturbed about this.

I'm not saying that there is not a howling noise coming from the wheels but I think that it's unrelated to this problem. I personally never have heard the howling wheel problem. I believe the howling noise that I heard has to do with the aerodynamics of the car in crosswinds. When all the windows are closed and a crosswind hits the car that's when the howl appears. If the moon roof or one of the windows is open the sound dissappears. The problem has to be how air flows over the sealed car when the windows are up. I looked for a TSB on this at: http://www.altimas.net/tsb but I do not see how a TSB could address this issue. I mean they cannot change the structural aerodynamic integrity of the car without bolting on some insanely ugly fin to change the properties of how air flows over the car.

I am pissed off about this. I mean, you pay a lot of money for a car and should not have to deal with shit like this. This is shotty engineering. I think one of the reasons this hasn't been more of an issue is because up until now it has only occurred at higher speeds, but wait until you hit crosswind that make your car sound like a magnified deer whistle! The crosswinds I encountered were fairly strong but they were not anything I have never encountered before. To blame the problem on the strength of the crosswinds entirely is ridiculous. I never had this problem with any previous vehicle. My passenger that was with me owns a Nissan Frontier and said his Frontier does the same thing.

As of now I am seriously contemplating looking for a new car. I am curious if the 350Z has this problem as well?

pissed!!
Old 12-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Bad Boys are Back!!!

Cool

Just open all your doors and check the rubber beeding around it. Sometimes because of water getting formed on them, they might expand or shrink and may cause some pores. Just clean them periodically and those noises should eventually go away.....

CarDomain
Items For Sale
Old 12-20-2002, 06:27 PM

Here's a quick fix for the howling noise. I stumbled across it while driving through Iowa. The noise was constant and driving me absolutely crazy. The noise is coming from the driver side door. Slightly tap the window button to roll the window down, just a hair. The noise stops.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:14 AM

Slightly rolling the window down changes the air pressure inside the car. Like I said though, role a window down or open the moon roof will affect the flow of air outside the car. This still doesn't fix the problem. I'm not sure anything short of getting a new car with a better aerodynamic design will.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:10 AM

I get this same type of howling noise on my 02 Altima 3.5SE in a crosswind. Usually notice it mostly when wind direction is from passenger side. I always thought it had something to do with the wheel well design.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:57 AM

I just looked this up the other day. I get that same whistle. I even get it at around 60 MPH. It is so GODDAMN annoying. Does anybody have a link the link to that TSB? It is driving me insane.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:59 AM

hm. ive never noticed the noise when im driving since my music is turned up too much. guess ill have to listen for it on my way to work today. see if the whistles go woooooo
Old 02-11-2004, 03:28 PM

I think I found the source of my whistling problem. I think it's coming from the sunroof deflector. I probably moved or shifted it cleaning all the snow off throughout the winter. I'm going to readjust it probably this weekend.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:38 PM

come on guys, you are driving a NISSAN ALTIMA!! It not the top of the line Nissan, and it certainly not a luxury car! Of course you are going to get wind noise, whistling noise, wheel noise, road noise, cheap plastic noise, all the freaking noise in the world!! Just bare with it. If I cant deal with that, then I'd get a Lexus LS430, I'm sure you wont hear a damn thing! But hey, the LS430 is only $75k, compared to our altimas at around $20k. So here ya go, stop complaining about the little things!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dieselpimp
come on guys, you are driving a NISSAN ALTIMA!! It not the top of the line Nissan, and it certainly not a luxury car! Of course you are going to get wind noise, whistling noise, wheel noise, road noise, cheap plastic noise, all the freaking noise in the world!! Just bare with it. If I cant deal with that, then I'd get a Lexus LS430, I'm sure you wont hear a damn thing! But hey, the LS430 is only $75k, compared to our altimas at around $20k. So here ya go, stop complaining about the little things!!!
Thank you your wonderful comments.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Proud '02 owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Dieselpimp

BINGO and BTW I only heard the noise once at 120mph

Link to My Ride

vb garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.