repack wheel bearing - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
repack wheel bearing

i have a altima 2004 model i notice that my wheel is roaring. so i called my dealer to repack the bearing he told me that it will cost you around $800.00 plus labor. bcuz in altima you can't repack the bearing you need to replace the hub and bearing is this thing right ?? this is what dealer told me .... its rip offf ............

did anyone here repack the bearing in altima ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is a big difference in which one it is. Front or rear? Yes it ie correct to replace the bearing altogether. If it is the rear, simply replace it yourself....the front is diff....only because it is pressed into the steering knuckle, but you could seperate the steering knuckle and take it to a dealer or other shop, have the old bearing pressed out, and new one pressed back in. 800.00 is pure horse poo poo. lol I did my own, as always there is a 1st time for everything. Went smooth as butter and had the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself....
Quote:
Originally Posted by asis975 View Post
i have a altima 2004 model i notice that my wheel is roaring. so i called my dealer to repack the bearing he told me that it will cost you around $800.00 plus labor. bcuz in altima you can't repack the bearing you need to replace the hub and bearing is this thing right ?? this is what dealer told me .... its rip offf ............

Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRZ View Post
There is a big difference in which one it is. Front or rear? Yes it ie correct to replace the bearing altogether. If it is the rear, simply replace it yourself....the front is diff....only because it is pressed into the steering knuckle, but you could seperate the steering knuckle and take it to a dealer or other shop, have the old bearing pressed out, and new one pressed back in. 800.00 is pure horse poo poo. lol I did my own, as always there is a 1st time for everything. Went smooth as butter and had the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself....
roaring sound comming out from both rear wheel. is the bearing pack in side or is it open bearing. if its open bearing i can simply clean it and apply some wheel bearing grease.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM

no there sealed wheel bearings
Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM

the bearings are sealed you dont repack them. theyre around 80 bucks at a part store. if youve changed brakes before then you should be able to change the bearing

02 3.5 SE Auto, Silver/blk lthr, Tecnafit SS lines, Nismo CAI, Unorthodox UDP, Stillen upper strut bar
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Winner March 2010 NOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis975 View Post

i just got my pass front bearing and hub replaced for half of that..

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 AM

Dealer is full of crap. Take it somewhere else. I did my rears in under and hour for both.
My Sentra Ser had a front go I think it was 225cad and 2 hours labour. I now own a press so I will do my own when the time comes. The bearing for the front was like 8 bucks 26 for a set of 4.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Can you share info about your press? Interested in getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
Dealer is full of crap. Take it somewhere else. I did my rears in under and hour for both.
My Sentra Ser had a front go I think it was 225cad and 2 hours labour. I now own a press so I will do my own when the time comes. The bearing for the front was like 8 bucks 26 for a set of 4.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Mountain (MTN5720) 20 Ton Hydraulic Press with Jack # 5720 - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com
Exactly the same as this except mine is yellow and was free. I got it from a garage that was going out of business along with a portable car lift. I love it. Except it's a pain in the ass if you want to do exhaust work. Has a bunch of cross beams that get in the way of long pipes.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
Mountain (MTN5720) 20 Ton Hydraulic Press with Jack # 5720 - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com
Exactly the same as this except mine is yellow and was free. I got it from a garage that was going out of business along with a portable car lift. I love it. Except it's a pain in the ass if you want to do exhaust work. Has a bunch of cross beams that get in the way of long pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode