Car Won't Accelerate. 2002 Altima 2.5 SL - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Car Won't Accelerate. 2002 Altima 2.5 SL

Today my car wouldn't accelerate. The car starts up fine, idles fine, and all that jazz basically giving me no indication of a problem. I went to pull off and had no "go".

Here's where I'm at:
  • When I first start it, I can give it gas and the rpms go up and sounds like the car I love. That's only within first 5 seconds.
  • After 5 seconds, the car won't "rev up" while in idle or drive or reverse. Giving it gas only makes the rpm go from 1k to 1.5k rpm.
  • I recently did a tear down of engine to replace head gasket. Car ran fine for 10 days. I'm not leaking oil and coolant is fine.
  • I checked the transmission fluid while idling hot and it seems fine. It's in the zone and is clear in color.

The SES Light has remained on since before changing gasket on car. The code I got a week ago was P0705 (Park Neutral Position Switch Fault).

I don't know what that code means and don't know if it's relevant. I do know the car was put into neutral manually when the engine was torn down so we could move it to and from shop. Don't know if that means anything but I'm just giving all the info I can.

Could a sensor not be in place after rebuild? If so, would it have taken 10 days of driving for this to happen?

If you have any ideas, please share them with me. I have not gotten new code(s) if any read yet. I'm kinda just stuck here at home by myself for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
Additionally, I'm getting a P1128 code.
Throttle control motor circuit short

Nissan OBD-II Trouble Code P1128

Where is this? What can I clean and what to clean it with?
#3 Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 PM

that would explain why it will not accelerate...maybe it got doused with coolant when the radiator spewed?

I've never messed with it before, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who has, and knows how to fix it.

#4 Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
thanks. I'm sitting an waiting while watching LSU and ALABAMA.
#5 Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM
BT
Super Modder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuss45 View Post
Today my car wouldn't accelerate. The car starts up fine, idles fine, and all that jazz basically giving me no indication of a problem. I went to pull off and had no "go".

Here's where I'm at:
  • When I first start it, I can give it gas and the rpms go up and sounds like the car I love. That's only within first 5 seconds.
  • After 5 seconds, the car won't "rev up" while in idle or drive or reverse. Giving it gas only makes the rpm go from 1k to 1.5k rpm.
  • I recently did a tear down of engine to replace head gasket. Car ran fine for 10 days. I'm not leaking oil and coolant is fine.
  • I checked the transmission fluid while idling hot and it seems fine. It's in the zone and is clear in color.

The SES Light has remained on since before changing gasket on car. The code I got a week ago was P0705 (Park Neutral Position Switch Fault).

I don't know what that code means and don't know if it's relevant. I do know the car was put into neutral manually when the engine was torn down so we could move it to and from shop. Don't know if that means anything but I'm just giving all the info I can.

Could a sensor not be in place after rebuild? If so, would it have taken 10 days of driving for this to happen?

If you have any ideas, please share them with me. I have not gotten new code(s) if any read yet. I'm kinda just stuck here at home by myself for now.
What do you mean manually? Was it done with the selector inside the car or was it done out on the trans by moving it there?

As to the other issue, try removing all of the electrical plugs on the throttle body and check to make sure they are dry and clean of any dirt, etc.

Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
#6 Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 PM

If the car doesn't accelerate in drive or reverse only in neutral or park then this would be a sign of the safety neutral switch going out on you.

As for the throttle module aka throttle position sensor would not give you this sort of trouble that im experienced with, normally what it does is idle rough and won't accelerate. But your idling is normal you said.

I would check the safety sensor, and the accelerator since their electronic and not cable wired like the old vehicle models. Good luck, and if you find the issue please post. Would like to know a new problem with the Altys 2.5 engines.

#7 Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 AM

(Thread Starter)
No. It idles fine in all gears + neutral and park. I cannot rev the engine in either gear including park and neutral.
#8 Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 AM
BT
Super Modder

Garage
It almost sounds as though the car is in 'limp in mode', where it will not allow it to rev any higher because it perceives a condition that it feels will be harmful.

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
#9 Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 AM

(Thread Starter)
okay...but can you add to that some possible fixes?
#10 Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
BT
Super Modder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuss45 View Post
okay...but can you add to that some possible fixes?
I did, above. Check all of the electrical connectors to make sure they are clean. Also check to make sure none of the wires are damaged. The throttle control motor is built into the throttle body, so there is not much you can do for it other than to replace the whole assembly.

Assuming all was well before all of your issues started, something had to have happened during your recent work that you did. Did anyone push on the throttle plate or anything while the upper end was apart?

Have you tried clearing the code to see if it comes back?

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...
#11 Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

(Thread Starter)
I just got the throttle body/motor off. Yup. the motor is riveted on. waiting on a buddy to come over with computer and his smarts. He's the one who did most of the work on the head gasket replacement. I found the throttle fuse in ecm housing and it wasn't blown. Gonna check ground, connections, etc. in a little bit. I'll be sure to post updates.
#12 Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what this hose is. I took off the intake and throttle control to clean my Mass Air Sensor is some Mass Air Sensor cleaner. I also cleaned the throttle flap and inside as well with some throttle/carb cleaner. When I put it back together, I noticed a hose just hanging out. Can someone tell me what that is please?

#13 Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM

(Thread Starter)
After cleaning the Mass Air Sensor, the throttle and inside the throttle the car is still in "limp" mode. Again, when I started it, I could rev it up but only a few times before it went back into "limp" mode.

From what I have been reading, I'm guessing it's the mass air sensor. If I can't find one at a junk yard, this part will be expensive. I'm limited on funds...big time....and don't want to waste money on a part I don't need so I'm hoping some of you will chime in with some ideas.

Additionally, after reading about the Mass Air Sensor, I found one of the symptoms to be bad gas mileage before the car goes into "limp" mode and I did notice my fuel economy was poor the last week or so.

The error code is P1128, which says the throttle, but the throttle control motor seems to be working because my friend tried to hold it open when I started it and he said it forced shut which makes us go back to thinking it is the mass air sensor.

There's a bit of this tropical storm coming through the next two days so I won't be headed to the junk yards until Wednesday which means any ideas, tips, tricks, thoughts, etc. will be looked into and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode