The Nissan Club banner

changin 02 altima thermostat...

16K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  rondhol 
#1 ·
this is just another step on my never ending quest to get consistent heat....i bought a tsat from autozone earlier thinkin it would b a pretty simple job but it seems a little more then that i got these directions but was lookin for sumthin a little better or summore tips

1Drain the coolant from the radiator and store it in a proper container. Take the negative battery cable from the terminal.

Step 2Disconnect the radiator lower hose from the engine coolant inlet side. Take out the engine coolant inlet and the thermostat.

Step 3Install the new thermostat with the entire circumference of the flange fitting securely inside the rubber ring. Make sure the jiggle valve is facing up with a deviation of the position plus/minus 10 degrees.

Step 4Use Genuine RTV Silicone Sealant or an equivalent product when installing the temperature sensor for the engine coolant. Apply a mild detergent to the O-ring when setting the heater pipe into the housing.

Step 5Refill the cooling system with the appropriate type and amount of coolant. Reconnect the battery ground.

Step 6Start the engine and allow it to run for several minutes. Check the system for coolant leaks.

AND WAT DOES APPLY A MILD DETERGENT MEAN....COULD U JUS OIL THE O RING???

See less See more
#3 ·
oh lol..ok i really wasnt thinking actual dtergent

#4 ·
wat about the water valve?....it came with my thermostst

#6 ·
any insight on this water valve?....

#7 ·
bump...

#9 ·
well i jus finished puttin the new tstat n water valve in....and as i figured..STILL NO ****IN HEAT

#12 ·
i did the control gear thing...it was stuck in the middle n i fixed it still no heat at idle

and i burped all that i could last night...but im gonna open the rad. cap every few days n let all the rest of the air out that i can....my best guess is that my heats jus not gonna work at idle period....unless i get sum expensive ass operation done to it

#13 ·
my altimas heat never worked at idle but my sentra will blow me outta the car. did you try raising the front of the vehicle? in order to get the radiator higher than the heater core get some ramps or put it on jacks and then burp the system. the heater core and radiator are at nearly the same level making it hard to get the air out

#14 ·
yup....i put it on ramps...but thier only about 8'' tall...if that

#15 ·
OK, i would check for a clogged heater core first, easiest way in my opnion is to disconnect both heater hoses from the motor and run a garden hose through one side, if water does not come out the other then your heater core is clogged.

The way i burped my system was to get the passenger side of the car up as high as i could and (I DONT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE IF YOU CANT MONITOR ENGINE TEMP) I disconnected the cooling fans, and allowed the engine to reach 215-220 (This is because the water control valve does not open fully until 210-215) allowing A LOT of air out of the system. In the end i added another half gallon of coolant. It was 20F here in Dallas last Thursday, and i kept the heat on low as i crept along ice covered freeways, actually had to crack the window because it started getting hot in the car. I used a scan tool that could monitor certain engine parameters, including the engine temp, so i kept the temp in check. This worked for me, but i probably wont do that again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.