LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Winner March 2010 NOTM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HVAC Issues: Vents stopped blowing air! Help

So a couple days ago I got in my car, and low and behold, my vents weren't blowing any air at all. I have the DIGITAL HVAC controls and I have tried to get air moving by using all of the settings possible; Auto, Econ, DEF, Manual etc and I have gotten nothing.

Until, Yesterday, they came on for a brief second or two, but then would just die out again and no air would be moving. This happened on all of the settings again. Mind you all of this happened while I was driving home from Denver.

My first guess is possibly a fuse? I looked and it looks like there are two 15A fuses labeled "Blower." Although if it was a fuse I would also assume that the vents wouldn't blow air at all, not come in and out randomly.

Also another bit of background; my mechanic told me my a/c compressor was going bad about a year ago (I got and still get a little bit of a whine when my a/c is on and I drive with it on) I don't know if that could be related at all to this, but who knows.

I hope this is an easy fix and someone here can point me in the right direction. Please Help!

-Brendon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
It's all Gravy, baby!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
I'd start with the fuses since you know they're blown and go from there bro. Hopefully it's an easy fix because it has been friggin HOT.

-Brandon
2005 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB
post #3 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Winner March 2010 NOTM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Two-Tone View Post
I'd start with the fuses since you know they're blown and go from there bro. Hopefully it's an easy fix because it has been friggin HOT.
well i don't know if they are blown or not, i haven't pulled them yet. and yeah its freaking hot! i'm driving around deciding whether or not its hotter with the windows up or down lol

i also don't have my needlenose pliers up here at my apt and i dont think i can pull them with my fingers (they are the small fuses)

post #4 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
check relays too man

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Winner March 2010 NOTM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
check relays too man
speaking a different language here. where are they?

post #6 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Oh shit . I forgot your not good with electornics. Do you have the FSM? If so, i will help you read the schematic on there.....

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

Quote:
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Winner March 2010 NOTM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Oh shit . I forgot your not good with electornics. Do you have the FSM? If so, i will help you read the schematic on there.....
yeah i do. i spent about an hour looking at it and it just confused me more than anything else... the schematics are something else

post #8 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go back in your FSM and in the Automatic Air Conditioner(ATC) section begin with the procedures on page ATC-41. There you will find the self diagnosis procedures, follow the directions step by step until you reach the end.

Depending on what you find in the self diagnosis will tell you what is exactly failing, just look at the failed step and what it calls out as bad. That should tell you what section of the FSM you need to go to next to further trouble shoot.

You can find the relay in the engine bay, page ATC-32. When you find it try giving it a few good taps with your finger while its still installed. If that doesnt work then pull it out and make sure it has real clean contacts.

Monday through Friday
2002 3.5SE 5sp - *New* TSECU - JWT/LWF - BBMAF - Port Matched Manifolds - APEXI NEO - LC1 - UDP - SSAC - 2.5" Catback - Magnaflow 27X6" - Stillen Exhaust - NWP BOP - Dyno Graph before/after APEXI NEO tune *OLD*

Saturday and Sunday
2003 Sonic Blue Mustang Cobra SVT
468HP, 475TQ
post #9 of 21 Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

brendon, do you own a multimeter?

Quote:
post #10 of 21 Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im not completly sure if its the same with 02-04s but on 05-06s theres a sprocket visible from the drivers side footwell, get upsidedown and look up there on the right side... then flick the controls on the HVAC that changes which vents blow air and see if that sprocket moves around.
Im not sure im just guessing here but I guess id just thow that out there for you... mite help.

05 Altima 2.5s
6000k HIDs Lows+Fogs | Berk V2 Intake | Ground Kit | Eyelids | Front Lip | Blacked Out Trim | LED/Cold Cathode Interior/Exterior Lighting | Puddle Lights | GTR Style Tail Lights | RTP Slotted Rotors-Axxis Pads | LED Parking+License Plate Lights | LED Headlight DRL | UAE Folding Mirrors | M3 Lip Spoiler | Black Roof | Eibach ProKit | S5 Grill | Racingline MMI | Black Emblem | Tints | Pioneer Avic F700BT | SR*S 4-1 Header | Greddy Evo II Exhaust
post #11 of 21 Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Dave Matthews Enthusiast

Quote:
He doesn't know what a multimeter is
Oh and there is NO air blowing at all? Or it's just not cold?

18 x 8 350z wheels on 225/45R18 Yokohama YK520's -Eibach Pro-Kit -Magnaflow mufflers/no resonator -15% tint -S2 Grille -Momo shift knob -Injen CAI -12" Orion sub - NWP Vias Blockoff - V-LED Interior Swap - Bt2580 Footwell Lights - Bt2580 Under-hood Lights - Custom LED Tails

Quote:
Dont let me influence you when i say buy them. They are well worth the money. Trust me, im a Jew (i really am lol)
post #12 of 21 Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Been here way too long...

Its the resistor located on the blower itself. Same thing happened to me. Everything worked and all fuses were good but no air cold or hot. Replaced the resistor and it worked fine. Should be about 60 bucks or so online.

It should be part number 27716Q but double check. The blower for the auto and the manual are two different ones. The resistor from the manual is not the same as the resistor from the auto.

'12 G37
Takeda|Cusco|ARK|Eibach|Nismo|Autokitz

'02 Altima 3.5 SE - SOLD
Too Many to List
Click for Gallery
YouTube - Dyno Vid
post #13 of 21 Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Winner March 2010 NOTM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whore-Jay* View Post
Go back in your FSM and in the Automatic Air Conditioner(ATC) section begin with the procedures on page ATC-41. There you will find the self diagnosis procedures, follow the directions step by step until you reach the end.

Depending on what you find in the self diagnosis will tell you what is exactly failing, just look at the failed step and what it calls out as bad. That should tell you what section of the FSM you need to go to next to further trouble shoot.

You can find the relay in the engine bay, page ATC-32. When you find it try giving it a few good taps with your finger while its still installed. If that doesnt work then pull it out and make sure it has real clean contacts.
I tried looking in the ATC section but now that i've got the proper numbers I'll give it another go today. I've got the day off so hopefully I can pinpoint the issue. Thanks

Quote:
Nope but there are 2 or 3 at work I can borrow next time I am there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordShadow View Post
He doesn't know what a multimeter is
Oh and there is NO air blowing at all? Or it's just not cold?
Sure I know what it is

and its blowing no air, when it briefly came on it was blowing cold for about 2 seconds then it just died out again. as of now its totally dead, no air blowing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli24 View Post
Its the resistor located on the blower itself. Same thing happened to me. Everything worked and all fuses were good but no air cold or hot. Replaced the resistor and it worked fine. Should be about 60 bucks or so online.

It should be part number 27716Q but double check. The blower for the auto and the manual are two different ones. The resistor from the manual is not the same as the resistor from the auto.

Thanks, how hard is it to get back in there?

post #14 of 21 Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

you may wanna stick a multimeter on the resistor to see if it is shot.....just a thought

Quote:
post #15 of 21 Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Winner March 2010 NOTM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
you may wanna stick a multimeter on the resistor to see if it is shot.....just a thought
i need to find it first

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode