Headgasket blew on my 2.5 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Headgasket blew on my 2.5

Well it happened. Head gasket blew on my ride at 175K. Now i found a good how-to here, Change the headgasket on the QR25DE. (Altima Sentra) - B15U.com - Nissan Sentra Forum and i have the FSM. Thanks to a combination of two thermostats and poor head gasket design, my car stated throwing P0303 and discovered that coolant was leaking into cylinder 3 and causing the car to misfire on start up.

Now my question for the guys who have done head gaskets before, do you have any tips or suggestions that might make the repair easier or lessen the chance of screwing something up? Is it absolutely necessary to send the head to a machine shop? Anything else need to be replaced while I'm in there?

On a side note, there is no mixing of oil and coolant, and the car runs perfect once its running. My compression test came back around 174-180 and no white smoke. Thanks for any help that any of you can provide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 AM

lol just got done finishing up this job..Mine blew around 146K, the only thing i did different was i didnt take the top part of the intake manifold off i just took the part that was connected to the back of the head and just pushed it back. Ohh and make sure you mark your timing chain, and the camshafts.

02 Altima 2.5

4-1 Headers | Blacked out trim | 6k HIDs (soon to be 8k) | just chillin want more mods
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 AM
CONFUSED!!!

i might need to do this soon
Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 AM

bad supplier

I also got bad head gasket. The metal sheets are separated, no wrap on the head. Go with aftermarket Head gasket like FELPRO permatorque. Same History with old civic 90's with bad head gasket supplier.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 AM

Ya know don't bite my head off, for suggesting the lazy way, but I just found a site that I would give a try if it was me in this situation. It's called Steelseal it's just a dotcom address and "no" I don't get anything for the suggestion. You can say what you want about suggesting something like this, because I won't come back in here to see what comments come-in after I write this, heh. Either way, good luck with with your project.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 AM

That's a good idea for temporary fix and sell it to stealership :-)). Coolant in the engine is bad, the engine will wear-down exponentially.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 AM

so wait your saying that on all four cylinders the compression was the samearround 174-180? and there was no mixng of oil and antifreeze like you checked both the engine oil and the antifreeze for contamination?, did you have a leakdown test performed? cause from what your saying it dosnt sound like a head gasket to me it just sounds like your having a missfire, it could be anything from a bad mass air flow meter to a bad coil pack did you ever change the sparkplugs?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Mine doesn't have milky color in the oil but the coolant keep going low. It leak through combustion chamber and poisoned the catalytic converter and pre-cat. I got free new pre-cat from 8years/80k miles warranty without telling the stealership that I had head gasket problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Mines will only leak into the combustion chamber when there is pressure in the cooling system. So all i did for the time being was get a safety cap, which allows you to release the pressure without burning your self. Its been said on the sentra forum that the 07+ HG should be used, since its stronger then the 02-06.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 AM

I’m having the same issue on my 02 altima.
It was slowly leaking coolant (it would never show up in a puddle), I would have to refill it every 3 weeks.
Changed the oil and it seemed fine (no coolant in it).
Every time I would start the car it would have a hard time turning over, it would take a minute or two and then finally start.
The place I took my car to told me about the Steel Seal, I bought it and installed it today, followed the direction on how to use it. After letting the car cool down for 3 hours, started it up(still had a hard time starting) drove it for about 10min. Now I can’t get it to start at all! Just won’t turn over :-\ any ideas?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM

your combustion chamber is full of water, therefore the fuel cannot be burned. Replace the head gasket asap or you will need the whole engine. Most likely you already got Hydro-lock, your engine is broken apart. Cylinder rings, rod bearings, etc. wear-down so quickly with coolant in the combustion chamber.

The safest and cheapest fix is buy new engine from car-parts.com /junkyard and install it for less than 5 hours. You safe money and time by replacing the whole engine instead of tearing the engine apart (10+ hours), and still get trouble even after headgasket replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode