LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
FERRARI SLAYER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to change a CV axle...

can anybody help me out with this?....it doesnt seem like it would b that hard...but iunno if i should do it or take it to a shop n let em rape me...any pointers or maybe walkthroughs

Gold 02' Altima 2.5

PERFORMANCE MODS. WHO CARES ABOUT THE REST RIGHT?:
Tsudo Catback
2J Racing Underdriven PS pulley
Lightweight crank pulley
Cut balance shaft chain
Custom SRI
2J Racing Intake Manifold
Stillen Header
Stillen Catless Midpipe
TB Bypass
Indexed NGK Iridiums

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
search you n00b!!!

i will be doing this......... this weekend...

i will let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by altimatelyebony09 View Post
And damn those are some big rotor thingy magigies.
#3 Old 07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
FERRARI SLAYER

(Thread Starter)
ok...i did sum research on changing em and i think im gonna leave it to sumbody that actually knows wat their doin lol...plus it'll probly b a bitch to do on jackstands..i got quoted 125 in labor which i dont think is bad..and i have a new axle on order for 59$...so under 200 when its all said and done seems decent to me

Gold 02' Altima 2.5

Tsudo Catback
Lightweight crank pulley
Cut balance shaft chain
Custom SRI
Stillen Header
Stillen Catless Midpipe
TB Bypass
Indexed NGK Iridiums

#4 Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide View Post
ok...i did sum research on changing em and i think im gonna leave it to sumbody that actually knows wat their doin lol...plus it'll probly b a bitch to do on jackstands..i got quoted 125 in labor which i dont think is bad..and i have a new axle on order for 59$...so under 200 when its all said and done seems decent to me

From what I understand it's a bitchy process. Probably worth it to just have it done for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSER
a friend of mine installed a boost gauge on his WRX..

I was wondering if we have something like that for the SE-R..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hpAltima View Post
I was simply saying that flaming is a part of life and it is severely lacking in the forums that just run wild like Zebra. We have no lions to hunt the Zebra so they eat, fcuk, and multiply into an entire sections of retards with useless information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiP View Post
If you consider the 65465418946516546 prices mentioned "clearly" stated, then it looks like the wannabe Lion was actually a Zebra all along.
#5 Old 07-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
i will be doing this......... this weekend...

i will let you know
Hey Pipeline, yes please let us know how you make out. I'm very interested myself. I have a 03 Altima 3.5 auto. Which model do you own?.
#6 Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 PM

CV Axles are a cinch to remove/install. If you feel comfortable with removing your suspension components than you should be able to do your CV axles as well.

*Drivers side*
Once your car is safe on Jack stands you remove your tire, tie-rod and swaybar.

Then you remove the cotter pin and axle nut on the CV axle.

Place a block of wood over the end of the CV axle and hammer away until it comes loose. Your not trying to pound it out just knock it loose.

Where the CV axle goes into your gearbox you should see a slot that you can use a large screwdriver to seperate the axle from the gearbox. It is held in by pressure from a ring on the part of the axle that is out of sight inside the gearbox.

Once you get the CV axle loose you can pull it out of the gear box and the wheel bearing, you will loose some transmission fluid here.

To install you just go in reverse, you may need to use the wood block again to fully seat the axle into the gearbox. Just make sure that the oil seal goes in correctly and fully, it looks like a metal cap that is on the cv axle that will sit flush against the gearbox.

*Passenger side*
Same as the drivers side except that in the middle of the axle there is a mount that attaches to the frame with three 10 or 12 mm bolts.

Once you do it you will realize that $125 is alot to pay to have someone do one side for you. If you have the service manual you can see just how easy it really is. Just make sure that you get the oil seals on correctly and that you top your transmission fluid off when you are done.

Monday through Friday
2002 3.5SE 5sp - *New* TSECU - JWT/LWF - BBMAF - Port Matched Manifolds - APEXI NEO - LC1 - UDP - SSAC - 2.5" Catback - Magnaflow 27X6" - Stillen Exhaust - NWP BOP - Dyno Graph before/after APEXI NEO tune *OLD*

Saturday and Sunday
2003 Sonic Blue Mustang Cobra SVT
468HP, 475TQ

Last edited by *Whore-Jay*; 07-03-2010 at 05:12 AM.
#7 Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
It is what it is

^ good info there. I think if someone got some pictures together and did a proper write up it would be a great contribution to the site (and extremely helpful).

#8 Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whore-Jay* View Post
CV Axles are a cinch to remove/install. If you feel comfortable with removing your suspension components than you should be able to do your CV axles as well.

*Drivers side*
Once your car is safe on Jack stands you remove your tire, tie-rod and swaybar.

Then you remove the cotter pin and axle nut on the CV axle.

Place a block of wood over the end of the CV axle and hammer away until it comes loose. Your not trying to pound it out just knock it loose.

Where the CV axle goes into your gearbox you should see a slot that you can use a large scredriver to seperate the axle from the gearbox. It is held in by pressure from a ring on the part of the axle that is out of sight inside the gearbox.

Once you get the CV axle loose you can pull it out of the gear box and the wheel bearing, you will loose some transmission fluid here.

To install you just go in reverse, you may need to use the wood block again to fully seat the axle into the gearbox. Just make sure that the oil seal goes in correctly and fully, it looks like a metal cap that is on the cv axle that will sit flush against the gearbox.

*Passenger side*
Same as the drivers side except that in the middle of the axle there is a mount that attaches to the frame with three 10 or 12 mm bolts.

Once you do it you will realize that $125 is alot to pay to have someone do one side for you. If you have the service manual you can see just how easy it really is. Just make sure that you get the oil seals on correctly and that you top your transmission fluid off when you are done.
Jay in the manual it mentions to use a "drift tool" to install the oil seals while installing the axles. Does this tool stay on the vehicle?.
#9 Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 AM
FERRARI SLAYER

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonedub View Post
^ good info there. I think if someone got some pictures together and did a proper write up it would be a great contribution to the site (and extremely helpful).
yea really lol...it would make so-so mechanics like me feel alot more comfortable doin it

Gold 02' Altima 2.5

Tsudo Catback
Lightweight crank pulley
Cut balance shaft chain
Custom SRI
Stillen Header
Stillen Catless Midpipe
TB Bypass
Indexed NGK Iridiums

#10 Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
WhoreJay is absolutely correct. It really is very easy to do...if you can install lowering springs, you can install CV Axles. I however never seperate the tie rod or sway bar...just seperate the knuckle from the strut, and angle it out of the hub and over the top of the knuckle. Each car is a lil different but the concept is the same. Easy. honestly.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#11 Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelman View Post
Jay in the manual it mentions to use a "drift tool" to install the oil seals while installing the axles. Does this tool stay on the vehicle?.
I dont know what a "drift tool" is exactly but the oil seals just slide along the CV axle all the way up to the gear box. On the gear box you will see exactly where it is supposed to go once you pull the axle out.

Monday through Friday
2002 3.5SE 5sp - *New* TSECU - JWT/LWF - BBMAF - Port Matched Manifolds - APEXI NEO - LC1 - UDP - SSAC - 2.5" Catback - Magnaflow 27X6" - Stillen Exhaust - NWP BOP - Dyno Graph before/after APEXI NEO tune *OLD*

Saturday and Sunday
2003 Sonic Blue Mustang Cobra SVT
468HP, 475TQ
#12 Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 AM
search you n00b!!!

the axle nut is 24mm?? i think i saw that somewhere..

Quote:
#13 Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. Huge sucker. lol
Quote:
the axle nut is 24mm?? i think i saw that somewhere..

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#14 Old 07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
search you n00b!!!

i need to stop at autozone and pick a 24mm socket up after work...

Quote:
#15 Old 07-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hey dont you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool close by ya? Amazing how low their prices are on all of there tools. Been buying everything from tool chest, mechanic's rolling carts, automotive tools etc. I will never buy from discount auto, AutoZone, etc. again! lol
Quote:
i need to stop at autozone and pick a 24mm socket up after work...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode