Rear window seal leak? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear window seal leak?

Hello, I recently encountered a problem with my 06 Altima. I opened the trunk after coming from class and noticed there was a pool of water in the trunk where the jack stand and the spare tire are located. I immediately sucked out all the water and then dried it. I sprayed the car down to see where it was coming from and it seems to be he seal that goes around the rear windshield more specifically where the rear window meets the trunk (in the corner). Since then all I've done to temporarily fix this is use some silicone to seal off the corner (where the rear window meets the trunk) I really don't want to take it to the dealer as they would probably kill me as far as expenses and was wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they knew the proper way of fixing this.

Thanks.

Passenger side where the leak currently is.

Driver side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
06 SE-R

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I notice that too after I wash my car. There is water in those areas. Not sure if the water is supposed to travel that way, down the sides of the trunk and out through the bottom. Have you notices and water problems inside the trunk or on your rear seats? I dont see any real problems with mine as far as that goes besides that.
#3 Old 02-16-2011, 03:22 PM

(Thread Starter)
I don't think the water's supposed to be routed on the inside to be honest, also I noticed when I took the jack out and the black foam insert underneath it there's a small black plug that prevented any water from traveling elsewhere. As far as water inside near the rear seats, I haven't had any there, just in those two places mentioned.
#4 Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
06 SE-R

Garage
There would be a seal back farther to prevent the water from entering in the area ( closer to the window ) The seal that you see is to prevent the water from going down into your trunk and to most likely create a seal for your trunk so it closes properly. When youre driving, the water goes down the sides, in between the seal and the side and down to the bottom of the trunk, down the bumper and to the ground. If youre not getting water into your trunk/seats, I dont think you have a leak. Mine has been like that all the time. My mothers Maxima is the same way with water getting in that area. I personally wouldnt worry about it.
#5 Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Klat I really appreciate your help, but I think we are misunderstanding one another (Not sure, and I don't want to sound like a dick). I'm going to snap some shots of where the water was at and maybe you could help me from there. Thanks again

-es

Last edited by es305; 02-16-2011 at 08:47 PM.
#6 Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
06 SE-R

Garage
Its not a problem man. I try to chime in whenever I can. Take some more pics and upload them and maybe other members as well can give their input to see if that has happened to them.
#7 Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM

(Thread Starter)

This is where the Jack goes (Minus the Jack and it's foam housing). This is one of the spots where there was a pool of water. As well as...

In here where the spare is (About the height of where my finger is at). Lastly this is the source of the leak.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.
#8 Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 AM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
your car looks like it has been in an accident before, since there is masked paint spray on the passenger side. maybe that is what's causing the leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
#9 Old 02-17-2011, 04:07 AM

(Thread Starter)
No, It's never been in any sort of accident. I sprayed etching primer there because, as you could see on the drivers side (second picture at the top) the paint started to wear off, and it started coming down to the metal (I know it's not the best of jobs but I did it so it would not start to rust there). My guess as to why this happened is probably due to the heat, or something to that effect, that ate up whatever type of sealing was originally there. I'm sorry If I haven't been too clear. Using the silicone to seal it worked which tells me that's the source of the leak. Just wanted to know if there's something I could buy to do a better job, thanks.

Last edited by es305; 02-17-2011 at 04:29 AM.
#10 Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
06 SE-R

Garage
Id imagine putting a silicon or a manus bond would do the trick. Just make sure that you do it in warm weather. You would have to check the cure times on them depending on the temp outside or of your surface. If its working now, Id say leave it until you notice the water again. Ill be looking out for that too. Thanks for the heads up.
#11 Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again Klat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode