LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NATS Immobilizer & No-start: P1610, P1614

I wanted to share something that happened one day last week.

Upon trying to start my car, it cranked with good-sounding intent, but never actually started. There were no prior warning symptoms or a lit MIL earlier in the day. In fact, everything has been running great for the past few months. After trying to start it several times, I noticed that while the key/ignition was in the "ON" position, the immobilizer light was in a constant-on state. From what I've seen, the light should only remain on for about a minute when initiating a lock and closing all doors.

The key I was using, a TK40 NS34U replacement, was cut and programmed from my original. I used this key as my primary for at least 6 months without issue. That day, it apparently stopped working. After waiting about 20 minutes, I tried using the original factory key, and the car started on the third try with it. I later pulled codes P1610 and 1614. Both P1610 and P1614 indicate a NATS (anti-theft system) malfunction, yet P1610 is a resulting DTC from the "LOCK MODE" condition which is set for various NATS malfunctions or an improper key being used. It prevents the car from starting (for some period of time, even if the key issue is rectified). P1614 merely indicates an issue with the anti-theft system because the IMMU cannot receive the key ID signal.

To reset a NATS lock mode, a proper key must be cycled three times again to get the car to start, explaining why with even using the original key, it took three tries to start.

For now, I'm assuming that the key transponder in the replacement key became damaged or corrupted somehow. I have not had issues since using the original key again.

If anyone has some input with NATS issues, feel free to add some information here. I just wanted to share this for those who experience no-start issues and go replacing every possible sensor with no solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Immobilizer Key

Hey digitalbow
I'm going thur somewhat the same trouble. I bought a use 2003 Altima that was wrecked. The owner had a friend that owned a use car lot and parked the car there till it sold to me. During that time he lost the keys and had a mobile locksmith come out and make a new one. I was able to start the car with that key and load it on a dollie to move it to my place to work on the damage. I took the battery out to charge it and put it back into the car now the car want start with the same P codes as yours.

After calling around to see what the price of having this key and a new one made and programed to the ecu I what thinking of buying my own programmer. Just have not found what I'm looking for yet.

You would think that by-passing the immobilizer would work but all I can find on this is using a remote start system. Still Looking.

Rocketman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode