drivers seat doesnt recline - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drivers seat doesnt recline

so i just bought a 2006 nissan altima 2.5s special edition and it has power driver seat and it does all the other power moving functions but it doesnt recline forward or backward and i find it uncomfortable. so i would like to know wat might the problem be and how i can fix it or if its gonna cost alot to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Probably the switch. I would take it apart and clean the contacts. Lot's of crap falls down in those areas.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 PM

thanks ill try that
Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 PM

so i tried taking it apart and i didnt really know wat i was doin and i didnt wanna break anything. do u guys think my best bet would be to take it to the dealershi?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
try operating it and hear for the motors trying to work. if it's silent, then it could be the switch. but if you hear them trying to move, then of course something is causing it to stick in it's place somehow. if you don't mind paying out the azz for the stealership, be my guest. dropping money and doing no work is as easy as 1, 2, 3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM

Ok so I did that and the motor doesn't make a sound like its stuck. So that means its gotta be the switch right? So am I gonna have to replace the switch even though the other 2 buttons work for moving the seat forward and back. I'm not really sure how to change it but I'd like to know how to save some money from the dealership. So does anyone know if there's a write up for something like this? I highly doubt it but its worth a try
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM

I had a problem like this, but in my previous Saturn vehicle. Not entirely sure what the cause of one switch not working may be, but for me, I accidentally left my windows partially cracked and it rained The next day, my car was full of a smoke scent, as the motor had actually burned itself out overnight. However, this caused all of my buttons to not work, not just one.

If only one of the switches isn't working, then it definately is not the motor. In fact, there's a way you can manually adjust the seat electronically the same way you can with the switch (i know this, because the dealership did it for me once). You probably could take off the plastic covering to gain access to the motor and then play around with it from there.

If you're a careful and observant worker, you probably won't mess up anything as long as you put it back the way you found it. I'll look online to see if I can find it somewhere.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM

yea i tried taking it apart but the plastic piece that covers everything isnt coming off and i took of the one screw by the motor so i didnt wanna pull it too hard and break it. if u can find anything post it up cuz ive been searchin and came up with nothin. i really dont wanna go dealership but if worst comes to worst then i might have to
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Ok so I searched these forums under various search results of "Power Seat", "Driver seat motor", "seat motor failite" etc, and found some different responses.

This seems like a common problem, as I found pretty much the same story every time. This story came out with a positive ending for one guy:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...ower-seat.html

It appears there actually are TWO SEPARATE motors on the drivers seat, one for the back/forward motion and one for the up/down motion. Similar to what AceCombat mentioned, if you can expose the metal under the cover, try cleaning the contact points. In the post linked above, one guy got it working by having a friend push the seat forward while he cleaned/adjusted the seat. Eventually it worked.

So it might be a short in the motor, or the motor may be gone altogether, but you should be able to test if the motor is dead or not. If its not dead, then possibly a little wiggle and play, and some cleaner sold at radioshak and get to work.

Also, though not entirely Nissan related, but a quick search in google turned up many more similar stories. One in particular mentioned a fuse that controls the driver's seat. I don't know if this applies to Nissan vehicles, but take a look into it.

Last edited by PopTags08; 03-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM

edit: More stuff from Google EHOW

How to Fix Power Seats in a Nissan Altima | eHow.com
How to Troubleshoot Nissan Power Seats | eHow.com

A couple other threads mentioned fuse also. Check your fuse box and see if any of the "power" fuses are blown.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 PM

so i just tried to take apart the plastic siding of the seat that covers the motors and stuff but i cant get it off so then i followed the wires from the recline motor and played with it and still nothin. i tried pushing it with a friend for a minute and nothing. im really thinking that the motor is shot cuz i cheched the fuse box and pulled the fuse that said electronic parts i believe and it was good. the motor doesnt even make an effore like i dont hear anything when i move the buttons
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Hmm I see. If you absolutely think your motor is shot, then it probably may be. A couple things you can do from there

1) Call the Nissan Stealership and ask for the part number of the motor. If you have to, order it but don't buy it. It doesn't cost them anything to retrieve parts since they make it. Once you have the model/part#, you can try searching on google to see if anyone is selling it cheap and if there are instructions on how to install it. Chances are, there is a mechanic who can fix it for you if you have the part for severely less than any dealership. But that plastic cover does come off, either with the whole seat or by itself. Not sure which

2) You could try scrapping your seat (if it bothers you that much) and install one with a manual jack instead. You'll lose the convenience of your power seats, but at least it will work.

3) You could hook up a multimeter to the motor (or have a mechanic do it) to determine if the motor really is shot. The meter can tell you if there is any current or voltage running through the unit.

Thing to remember with something small and annoying like this is to start from the ground up; try to go the most inexpensive route first before deciding to replace your whole seat or motor. It would be a shame to shell out needless money only to find out its a fuse or stick in the motor. Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by PopTags08; 03-08-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Just wondering how long ago did you buy your car. If it was in the last couple of months dealer might fix it for free.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Ok so this is good and bad. The seat just reclined all of a sudden this morning when I came in the car. This is good cuz this means the motor isn't shot but that its something with the wires cuz if somethin was blocking the motor it wouldve made a sound which it doesn't. The bad this is my seat is reclined all the way back and isn't coming back up which makes my situation worse cuz nothin is supportin my back.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
holy $hit. have you tried pulling on the seat while trying to recline it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode