The Nissan Club banner

Free (almost) DIY aux in for 02 altima

31K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  azend 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, just finishead putting an aux in in my bose unit for the 02 altima without buying any kits, cables or adaptors (you can buy them too ofcourse).
So i figured i'd share this for all the diyers out there.

The main reason for why i did this was because i couldnt find a 8 pin DIN connector anywhere and i didn't have the patience for waiting 1-2 weeks while i ordered the parts and they came in..

the things i used:
-5 small wires from the bunch that hook your computer casing to your motherboard, you know the ones that connect the power button, the power led, hdd led and in old cases the reset button.

- a 3.5 mm audio cable from any old lying headphone or just the cable.

- some electric tape

so first off, you need to make sure you have the 8 DIN aux in at the back of your head unit, from what ive found on the internet, some models do and some don't, so please make sure you do have it before tearing apart the wires.

You can easily take the heating/ac and the radio covers apart..
Tearing the 2002 Altima Apart (part 2)

this site shows a step by step picture guide of taking apart the covers. to take the heating/ac (climate control) cover apart all you have to do is pull it towards you (i.e. the back of the car) and it comes apart quite easily..follow that guide to take your head unit out

okay once you've reached this part, its time to get us some wires that will go in that 8 pin din connector and a pin diagram of which wire goes where.

The pin diagram is right here..
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/1/4/1/1/2/DINpins.jpg

there is also another cleaner version here..

For the wires, we'll be using the power/reset/led wires that connect your casing with your motherboard, i just took apart some from an old computer i had lying around..

next thing i did was to take a small flat head screw driver and pry the plastic casing off the top..its very soft plastic and you can easily scrap it off by inserting the flat head part of the screw/kitchen knife and pulling it out..ill let you experiment with this..our end goal is to have the metal crip out safe and sound connected with the wire..

Go ahead and do the same with four more wires, you basically need 5 wires in total..
Once the wires have been taken out.. go ahead and use a plier or a stone or your foot or teeth or whatever it takes to flatten out the metal end of the wires you've just extracted, we want to flatten them out so that they can be inserted into the back of the 8 pin din connector..something like this..

After this has been done, its the simple matter of inserting the pins at the back of the head unit..

In my case, the orange is the wire that plugs into pin 1 of the din connector, i.e. 10+ volt aux in.. this wire connects to a 10+ volt power source, this basically switches the head unit into AUX mode, i've connected this to the postive lead of a car charger for now..

wires red and black connect to the R+ and R- respectively and these then connect to the postive of the 3.5 mm jack

wires blue and white connect to the L+ and L- respectively and these then connect to the negative of the 3.5 mm jack

the ground on the 3.5 mm jack is left as is.

and thats it..plug the 3.5 mm jack into your ipod/phone/media player and connect the car charger or turn on your 10+ volt source, (some people tap into the fuse box, some tap into the 10+ wire at the wire harness in the back of the head unit) and the head unit should go into AUX mode automatically..

If you goto in CD/AM/FM mode and then want to switch back to AUX mode just unplug the 10+volt source (in my case, the car charger) and then plug it back in again..a momentary switch is ofcourse the ideal solution and something that i will definitely be implementing in the future.

Currently, I have it just setup so that its working, later on ill be cleaning this up a bit, getting some heatshrink, better connections, etc.

Also, the metal crips on the end of the wires plug very securely into the 8 pin din connector, so there is no chance of a connection getting lose. just make sure when you're plugging them in to plug them in tightly.

I'll take some more pictures of the system working in the car when its daylight..

Let me know how you guys fare. and hopefully this'll help someone out.
I'd like to thank qsiguy nicoclub for the pin out diagrams and a good guide..

94 Q45 Aux Input for MP3 : Q45 Forum / Cima Forum

See less See more
#3 ·
haha

haha hey, well you know I had tried everyplace for that simple 8 pin din, futureshop, bestbuy, radioshack (theSource to us canadians), audio video and i could just go on and on... no one seemed to know what in good earth i was talking about and if they did clue on, they didn't carry it and i didn't want to order it online, couldn't wait..so whats any self respecting man supposed to do? yes, you're absolutely correct, thats exactly what i did.

besides, i'll clean it up a bit and post some more new pics soon so that it looks a bit more professional :D

#7 ·
haha hey, well you know I had tried everyplace for that simple 8 pin din, futureshop, bestbuy, radioshack (theSource to us canadians), audio video and i could just go on and on... no one seemed to know what in good earth i was talking about and if they did clue on, they didn't carry it and i didn't want to order it online, couldn't wait..so whats any self respecting man supposed to do? yes, you're absolutely correct, thats exactly what i did.

besides, i'll clean it up a bit and post some more new pics soon so that it looks a bit more professional :D
I picked up an 8-pin din from a local industrial electronics supply store. Way to get it done though. lol

#8 ·
Hey bargie! Good job. That's what I call determination.
And the best part is that you are sharing your experience with us.

Now, YOU NEED to get the 8-pin male circular DIN, it's not right to leave it like that. It's $0.75 a piece on some sites... When you order it, BE CAREFULL, there are 2 types: circular, and U shaped (called a 262). (refering to the arrangement of the pins). Circular is the one we need.

I have a concern regarding your wiring.
Your 3.5mm (1/8) jack seems to be mono (not stereo).
So much for our high quality sound exigencies :)
Both signal cables (red and blue) are connected to the same "node" in your jack.
If your jack were stereo, blue should be connected to one node and red should be connected to another "node" in the jack.
All in all, a stereo jack should have 3 contacts/nodes/cables: ground (common), left, and right.

Again thanks for your post! And good (ghetto) job XD

#9 ·
even if you charged your self 30 dollars an hour to do this you would exceed atleast 2 hrs. might as well by the plug they made on active tuning or that other website

#17 · (Edited)
Where are you getting your +12 V from? As long as you're sure you have +12 V and are sure it is going into pin 1, not pin 3, then perhaps something is wrong with the HU.

Edited to add: Looking at the pin diagrams provided in the first post, I'm pretty sure they are for the male connector that would plug into the female on the HU. You may have gotten pins 1 and 3 mixed up. This will not cause any harm to the HU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.