LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shaking// Rattle sound Nissan Altima 2.5

Hi all,
I have read through majority of the posts however i am lost. My issue is I have a Nissan Altima 2,5. When the car is at stop with Shift at D and A/C on Brakes on. My steering wheel starts to shake and gives out a loud rattle sound but not always. I do have a video of the sound but since i am new to Forum i really do not know how to post it. I do need a rotor and break service. However my problem is not during the driving or break rather at a full stop. i have changed the front passenger engine mount thinking might clear the problem but i still have the sound. Although not as much as before. i have also recently completed a tune up for the car since i started to drive it more often. It has around 58 K miles on it at the moment.

I think i have managed to put the video on Youtube...

the link is YouTube - ‪2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 Steering Wheel Rattle sound‬‏

Please let me know if anybody has any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM

I wonder if that is the engine knocking... what octane level fuel are you using?

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL
#3 Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
I use 89 Oct, I usually buy from the same spot too. I just got back from the dealer since the car is under the warranty. They are going to replace some internal parts. i m trying to get the name of the part so i can post it. So far they have replaced all the mounts. Also i have a quick question as well. My mechanic ( non-nissan dealer) told me i might have leak in the exhaust system. i did have the check engine light which Dealer fixed and claimed it on the sensor. Is there a way to check if there is a leak or i should trust the dealer???
#4 Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Young Blood

It does kind of sound like a possible exhaust leak... Only way to tell is to get under the car while it's running and check for leaks... You'll know if there is one...

2005 Nissan Altima 5 AT
Amateur Bolt-On Lover
Mods: Magnaflow Cat-Back_Racingline Y-Pipe_VIAS Block-Off Plate_K&N WAI_6000K Lows_3000K Fogs_SE-R Tails_Pioneer DEH-33HD
#5 Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Just got back from dealer apparently they claim the issue to the Power Steering Rack and Pinion. parts ordered and will arrive by Friday hopefully. Anyone had issues with Power Steering Rack and Pinion before ???
#6 Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Roamer of the World

I have the same issue and i've had my father in-law (professional mechanic) take a look under the hood while it makes the noise. He said its my belts that are flapping around making the noise. He said it was the tensioner that needed to be replaced. Im going to try that when i get back in town and see if that fixes it. Also i've read on this board that it could also be my altinator. If the tensioner doesnt do it the alternator will be my next move.

Im not sure how your rack and Pinion could be the culprate if your in D and at a stand still.

Do this...next time you get the noise (if you can) put it in Nuetral. If it stops then its the same issue i have.
#7 Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Roamer of the World

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...g-again-2.html

check out that link

looks like alot of members have had success with changing out the alternator.
#8 Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
wow, i mean i kept quiet since the car is under warranty but come Friday i have a big list for the dealer to change/inspect.

1-lower steering joint
2-engine mount (rear)
3-definitely what toocoo suggests which includes belts,tensioner and alternator.

i have the security plus ( gold prefr.) so i think majority will be covered. hopefully...

what a weird thing to have the car serviced for. for about 3 months people thought i was crazy and it was a regular wear of the car. i even had a mechanic telling me it is the characteristic of the car!!

Thanks for the replies so far. i ll keep posted as i progress with the repair!
#9 Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have lurked on this for a while and will comment on your last post. If you have vibration with the AC off and a rattle with the AC off then I suggest rear motor mount. My rear motor mount is shot and I have a slight rattle and bad vibration at dead stop and its much much worse at 1500RPM. Just and FYI

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
#10 Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
If i put the car to N the vibration is gone. As for the A/C when the A/C kicks the rattle is to the extreme. if i turn the A/C off the rattle is still there however it is much much less.
#11 Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Snow... what

Sounds like motor mounts to me, but its under warranty so they will fix it even if it takes ages. I don't know what the power steering rack would have to do with anything since it does it when the car is stopped.

Another thought, could be something with the front axles causing the vibration. I have seen that problem before on a few Benz's. The front axle causes the vibration for some weird reason, and if you held onto the axle you could tell which side it was.

#12 Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
So far they only changed the front mount and said the rest looked fine but i m gonna suggest to replace all 3 engine and trans mount as well. they changing rack no clue why but since under warranty i m not complaining. The only thing is my warranty expires due to months term reach. on 6/27/2011 the warranty will expire so i hope they get it fixed by then
#13 Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
One more question should i extend the warranty???
#14 Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Snow... what

Wouldn't hurt to extend the warranty, just depends how much extra they want and if you plan to keep the car for a long time, or sell it.

And they will have to fix the problem even if they still cant figure it out before your original warranty is up. Because it is a documented problem on your car way before the warranty is up. If they can't figure it out by then and try and refuse it, call Nissan and complain, you will get it covered.

#15 Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 PM

(Thread Starter)
I will get the quote on monday to see how much extra. The car is in really mint condition and low miles so i am planning to keep it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode